Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 10:31 AM

100 posts, read 127,721 times

Advertisements

Before we find our own place, work is setting my fiancé and me up in temporary housing for a couple of months. They gave a few options but we are selecting these 4 downtown to enjoy the city and walk to places, and to shorten the commute. Are any of you guys familiar with any of these following addresses or high-rises at all? Can you offer an insight on them?
  • Barclay Towers – 1625 Larimer St
  • Brooks Tower – 1020 15th St
  • 100 Park Ave – 100 Park Ave
  • Glasshouse - 1700 Bassett St
They are all 1 BR and sq. footage is more or less the same. We are late 20s no kids, and want a safe area with some fun restaurants/bars/shops/parks in relative walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:39 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Not knowing any of the buildings, I like the 15th st location the best.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 PM

371 posts, read 494,142 times
Brooks Tower is a pretty cool 1960's era building, and a lot of the units are not rented, but owned. It's also only one block off of 16th street mall, so that covers your shopping and restaurants.

There are bars nearby, but the hub of the club scene is a few blocks to the east closer to Coors Field, so it should be just a touch quieter.

Not really familiar with the others.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 AM

459 posts, read 807,780 times
Brooks Tower and Barclay Tower are within a few blocks of each other. They are both 30+ years old, within walking distance of Larimer Square, 16th St Mall, and most of the CBD and LoDO.
Pluses: Very centrally located
Drawbacks: Doesn't really have a neighborhood feel, and it's far from Civic Center and Riverfront parks (Skyline Park is nearby but it is more just a public space than it is a park).

100 Park Avenue is on the northern part of 'Uptown' Capitol Hill north. The building is from the 80's and was renovated recently (mid-2000's?) when they converted it to condos. Some good restaurants along 17th are within walking distance, along with few good shops in the uptown square development, and a grocery store. You can also walk to most of the CBD from there.
Pluses: Near two nice urban neighborhoods Uptown and City Park West, and one neighborhood in transition Curtis Park.
Drawbacks: To the NW and West are underdeveloped areas so it feels further to downtown than it is, the closest park Benedict Fountain Park is in need of (and is getting) a renovation, and the public transportation (RTD) options are very limited.

Glasshouse is a recently built building (2006?). Glasshouse was built overlooking riverfront park and is in a newer master-planned downtown neighborhood. There's a few shops along Little Raven but you are better off walking across the river to the more trendy LoHi, or across the tracks to the denser LoDo for food, drink, and other things. It's a bit too far to walk to the CBD for most people, but you can easily walk to 16th st mall ride (and Union Station) from there.
Pluses: Nicest building IMO, close to a park, close to a trendy area, and since the area is newer it feels nicer/safer than some of the older parts of downtown.
Drawbacks: If you work in the CBD it will be the furthest walk, and since the area is master-planned it has a bit of a 'disney' feel to it at the moment.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:08 AM

100 posts, read 127,721 times
Thanks for that. We are leaning toward Glasshouse and this makes it more certain.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM

459 posts, read 807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock2001 View Post
Thanks for that. We are leaning toward Glasshouse and this makes it more certain.
One thing I forgot to mention about the Glasshouse that you may want to ask about: has anyone complained about RR noise in that unit? I know some people living next door in the rental building "The Manhattan" have told me it was horrible, but the few people in my building who have previously lived at the Glasshouse said RR noise wasn't a problem (they didn't face the tracks though).

However I think you are on the right track. Given those building choices, and assuming similar size and quality units I would likely choose the Glasshouse as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: