Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:38 AM

21 posts, read 38,432 times

Advertisements

We've been planning to move to Denver for ten years and it's finally happening. A lot of pressure as we're looking to buy our family home and the Denver area seems to offer an abundance of great places to live. Our agent is too diplomatic to give us an clear-cut opinion so I'm hoping this board can help.

We work from home, but use the airport 2x a week
We have young children so good schools trump all else
We would like at least a 1/2 acre and 3 car garage
Our budget is around $750,000

Would you go with Southern Aurora, Parker, Highlands Ranch or head north to Broomfield, Lafayette?

Any input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:52 AM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyReward View Post
We've been planning to move to Denver for ten years and it's finally happening. A lot of pressure as we're looking to buy our family home and the Denver area seems to offer an abundance of great places to live. Our agent is too diplomatic to give us an clear-cut opinion so I'm hoping this board can help.

We work from home, but use the airport 2x a week
We have young children so good schools trump all else
We would like at least a 1/2 acre and 3 car garage
Our budget is around $750,000

Would you go with Southern Aurora, Parker, Highlands Ranch or head north to Broomfield, Lafayette?

Any input is appreciated!
I'd go with S. Aurora, but not sure you'll get a 1/2 acre in most suburbs here unless you go further from town (generally). Bigger lots mean much larger water bills for landscaping in this dry climate.

Our member "The3Ds" speaks glowingly of her area of S. Aurora, which has good schools, lots of kids for yours to play with and is about as convenient to the airport as you'd want.

It would more if you'd add more specifics, like how many kids do you have, what are your likes / dislikes in a neighborhood, are you big on culture and museums, do you like snow sports, why a half-acre.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:05 PM

21 posts, read 38,432 times
We have two young boys and I want a big yard where they can run and play, plus I like to have a veggie/herb garden and an area for outdoor meals. I want my neighbors at arms length. I'd like to stay away from "cookie cutter" developments, but a newer, quality home would be nice. A community with walking/biking trails would also be ideal.

My biggest concern with Aurora is that it seems the schools are hit-and-miss on performance. Does this city have a "reputation" per say, as it seems almost area does? I've heard the north (i.e. Broomfield, Lafayette) is more liberal than the south suburbs- is that true?

When you look at Money Magazine stats. Highland Ranch ranks high, but it's a much longer commute.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 PM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Thanks for the info. You may find larger lots in Parker and/or Castle Rock.

I doubt there are large lots in Highlands Ranch, a very nice area but is known for small lots and often accused of being cookie cutter.

Aurora is a large city, the northern areas are older and a bit sketchy in parts, but the southern area is really nice, new, just might have a large lot or two mixed in, but only a detailed search will find definite answers.

Those northern areas in the Boulder orbit might have some large lots too, and the towns are all very nice, with good schools.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,978,072 times
Any of the areas mentioned would work, either way you can commute down E-470 to the airport (or NW parkway, which is what they call it up north east of I-25).

Look at Chaparral, Chenango, and Foxfield near Parker/Arapahoe Rds. All are in zip 80016.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM

726 posts, read 2,149,783 times
Just my opinion but I think you are more likely to find the property you are looking for in the North. If you look at a map of E470 (which is a toll road but a quick way to get to the airport) you'll see Northern Thornton, Broomfield and Lafayette. Another area to look at is Erie. I think all areas north and south have a lot of walking, biking trails. You didn't mention if you have visited yet so I don't know if you already know what the areas look like. But imo I love the rural wide open areas where Broomfield, Thornton, Lafayette and Erie all come together. Here's a link to a house in Broomfield but more importantly a great website that is updated daily with real estate listings for Colorado. When we were searching for a house we had a difficult time finding up to date info on listings.
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=871725 - broken link)

Old 02-06-2011, 01:15 PM

11,834 posts, read 34,475,562 times
Todd Creek, Reunion, Eagle Shadow....

Your Realtor is not being diplomatic, she is following the law - schools are both good and bad. Your school choice is not a part of a real estate brokers job. Choosing what is good about a school is subjective. Real estate brokers should deal with material facts about a specific property.

A half acre might be do-able in your price range, but a quarter acre will yield more choices.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
There are few half-acre lots up north. Arvada, sort of north-ish, probably has more than any other community.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:44 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,330,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Any of the areas mentioned would work, either way you can commute down E-470 to the airport (or NW parkway, which is what they call it up north east of I-25).

Look at Chaparral, Chenango, and Foxfield near Parker/Arapahoe Rds. All are in zip 80016.
I second David Aguilar's suggestion. These are semi rural areas (but surrounded by more compact suburban developments) in an area that is hillier and slightly higher elevation than most of the metro area. This sounds like the area the OP is looking for, and with $750k that should be enough budget.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,978,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I second David Aguilar's suggestion. These are semi rural areas (but surrounded by more compact suburban developments) in an area that is hillier and slightly higher elevation than most of the metro area. This sounds like the area the OP is looking for, and with $750k that should be enough budget.
And good god, some of the views from some of the properties there. Amazing.

Back when I delivered pizza, there was a house in Chaparral that had a panoramic view of downtown, the mountains, and surrounding plains. All of which could be seen from the home's driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver