Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 AM

676 posts, read 2,798,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. By the way, I did notice a very thin layer of haze near DIA. However, the rest of the time I was there, I could see for miles. I know that Denver does get a brown cloud, but it's almost impossible to compare it to L.A., where the layer is soooo thick. It really is hard to imagine unless you've seen it. As far as the dryness in Denver goes, I did feel my nose burn when taking a deep breath (mouth closed). I also sneezed a lot. You all are making me really think about this decision, and I so appreciate the input.

Lisa--I will definitely miss Trader Joe's! I know this has already been discussed, but it is such a great place. I wonder if we can order stuff online. Will have to check into that one.
Yes Denver has a cloud of brown. LA is more of a fog... I came here from Oceanside about 2 years ago. I do love the more laid back lifestyle and the fact that you don't have many serious traffic jams here. The biggest thing though was the price difference. I can rent out an entire house for around the same price as a one bedroom apartment back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 9,054 times
I lived in LA for 11 years and visited Denver probably once/year. I now live in Aurora - only because I cannot afford to live in Littleton - but I recommend the move. If only for the trees. That was THE most wonderful thing about our move here 3 years ago. I love the green and don't miss the cement of LA. Sometimes the sky over Denver is hazy, but most of the time the scenery with the mountains in the backdrop is beautiful. I can now let my kids play outside. In LA, I feared them being shot or kidnapped. As for the taxes and rediculous laws that California imposes....no contest. Colorado wins hands down. It was hard to "leave it all behind" but we've made new friends and have learned to be active, outdoors.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:05 PM

346 posts, read 1,567,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Yes Denver has a cloud of brown. LA is more of a fog... I came here from Oceanside about 2 years ago. I do love the more laid back lifestyle and the fact that you don't have many serious traffic jams here. The biggest thing though was the price difference. I can rent out an entire house for around the same price as a one bedroom apartment back home.

In Oceanside it is more of a fog. However, in L.A. it is not fog generally, except sometimes in the morning. Then it burns off and reveals the brown layer that can be seen in all directions, particularly to the east and west. I've been praying for some serious rain for a long time now. Today it's 88 degrees--UGH!

In Denver, the air was much cleaner, traffic was slower, home prices weren't outrageous, and the people I met were friendly.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:53 PM

264 posts, read 1,391,411 times
rebagirl,
We've moving to Denver from San Marcos CA as soon as we can sell our house. We've been wanting to move for so long now and have checked out WA, OR, and CO. Really the only place that I didn't feel weird about was CO. I think I'll freak out only slightly because Denver's just a different place, feels good, but different. I've lived in San Diego county my whole life and I'm dying to feel something "different". Especially if it's NOT 90 freakin' degrees all the time And you're right, today was the first day in a long time that I could actually see the mountains located less than 1/4 mile from my house! This "haze" or pollution that hangs around constantly has to go.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:38 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,597,991 times
Quote:
I just returned to Southern California after 5 days in Denver, scoping out various neighborhoods. I stayed in Aurora, with my relatives, and covered southeast Aurora, Parker, Littleton, Centennial, Ken Caryl area, and Broomfield. Jobs are still not lined up, but getting a better feel for the area was the main goal.

I will say, however, that I saw nothing wrong with Aurora--even the northern section. Most areas were older and a bit run-down, but still fairly clean. Parker was nice, but too many developments all looked rather sterile and had a sense a "sameness". Ditto for most of southeast Aurora. The older sections of Centennial and Littleton had beautiful, well-established neighborhoods with some character. I visited Franklin elementary in Centennial, was given a tour and loved how alive it looked. I could tell that the kids are busy in an engaging way--artwork and projects line every hallway.

The flight coming into Ontario, California was disgusting. The layer of brown that we descended into was unbelievable. I also had become used to very little traffic and courteous drivers while in Denver. Coming home, I was instantly reminded of the overall rudeness and the fact that going 70mph is almost like standing still.
I travel to Denver at least a couple times a year (3 times this year). It is amazing how differently people drive when they aren't in the L.A. area. When I drive home from Denver, I enjoy the drive until I reach the middle of Las Vegas. From there on, the traffic is terrible, and everyone drives with their L.A. attitude for the next 300 miles. This is always my least favorite part of the trip.

I also agree about the smog and pollution in the L.A. Basin. When I travel out of state, I enjoy the views of the mountains, deserts, and prairies. These views often seem to go on forever. When I get back into L.A., and the San Fernando Valley in particular, I'm always amazed at how thick the smog is, and how hard it is to see the mountains that surround the valley (unless the Santa Anas are blowing).

I like most of those communities that you mentioned earlier. They are mostly clean and well kept, even in the older areas. I don't notice much in the way of graffiti anywhere around the Denver area, though I'm sure there's some there. All in all, I much prefer the Denver area to the L.A. area, but since my work is tied to the City of L.A., I'll have to stay in the area for a while.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:01 AM

676 posts, read 2,798,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
rebagirl,
We've moving to Denver from San Marcos CA as soon as we can sell our house. We've been wanting to move for so long now and have checked out WA, OR, and CO. Really the only place that I didn't feel weird about was CO. I think I'll freak out only slightly because Denver's just a different place, feels good, but different. I've lived in San Diego county my whole life and I'm dying to feel something "different". Especially if it's NOT 90 freakin' degrees all the time And you're right, today was the first day in a long time that I could actually see the mountains located less than 1/4 mile from my house! This "haze" or pollution that hangs around constantly has to go.
You're going to like it here. The lifestyle here is similar to that of San Diego and even a less uptight attitude and not nearly as bad of traffic. But Denver still does get some bad brown clouds. Yesterday for example was particularly bad

Old 11-16-2007, 11:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,250,343 times
Quote:
I just returned to Southern California after 5 days in Denver, scoping out various neighborhoods. I stayed in Aurora, with my relatives, and covered southeast Aurora, Parker, Littleton, Centennial, Ken Caryl area, and Broomfield. Jobs are still not lined up, but getting a better feel for the area was the main goal.

Now that I'm home, I have mixed feelings about moving and I'm not sure why. I guess the idea of leaving everything I've ever known is frightening, even if "home" isn't really desirable any more. I need to make a list of personal pros and cons to help me out here.

I will say, however, that I saw nothing wrong with Aurora--even the northern section. Most areas were older and a bit run-down, but still fairly clean. Parker was nice, but too many developments all looked rather sterile and had a sense a "sameness". Ditto for most of southeast Aurora. The older sections of Centennial and Littleton had beautiful, well-established neighborhoods with some character. I visited Franklin elementary in Centennial, was given a tour and loved how alive it looked. I could tell that the kids are busy in an engaging way--artwork and projects line every hallway.

The flight coming into Ontario, California was disgusting. The layer of brown that we descended into was unbelievable. I also had become used to very little traffic and courteous drivers while in Denver. Coming home, I was instantly reminded of the overall rudeness and the fact that going 70mph is almost like standing still.

O.K, sorry for the ramble. Just wondering how others have made the jump and whether the adjustment period was really difficult. I feel ready for a new adventure, so what's my problem?
I left home at age 18 (joined the military) and was stationed in Europe for three years, so I got over the scariness of leaving the only place I'd ever really known at a young age. I've since lived in Texas, SoCal (twice) and now I'm on my second time living in Denver. I look back on all my moves and experiences and am so happy I did it. I still have a few friends in the city where I grew up and I can't imagine being like them - living their whole lives within a few miles of where they were born.

Moving cross-country can be scary and difficult, but you'll be a more well-rounded person for it. Not that Denver is culture shock compared to SoCal, but there are differences.

Oh, and the air isn't always all that clean here. Looked pretty disgusting the past few days when the mountains were almost obscured and downtown looked like a soupy, hazy mess. But still way cleaner than the I.E.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'm feeling much better about moving now. I've never been one to handle change very well, so I guess that's what has made me hesitant. I do know that Colorado would offer a much better future, particularly for my kids. I hate the fact that their world has to be so full of "bad" people and ugliness everywhere. I realize crime, graffiti, etc. can happen anywhere, but I hope Colorado will provide a safer, more wholesome life for them.

Denverian: What is the I.E.?

Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Quote:

Denverian: What is the I.E.?
(Raises hand) Inland Empire.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
(Raises hand) Inland Empire.
Oops! Duh, I knew that. Yes, the Inland Empire is pretty bad as far as smog and crime go. I'm glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon a few years back and move out that way!

How about Riverside? I knew a guy who went to UC Riverside, and at the time, there were underground hallways to get from class to class due to the unhealthful air quality year-round. Don't know if it's still that way, but GEEZ, that's what I call SMOG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver