Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 17,826 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking about a move in the next 60-90 days to Denver, Co and I need some information.
We currently live in Fayetteville, NC but were from the Washington Dc metro area.
I've done some research but I have some concerns & I need updated information from actual Denver residents. I'm 20yrs old and I'm married to a Usmc veteran who is 24. Im in school for healthcare administration and he for automotive performance.
Coming with us are my parents (50 & 54) and our friend another Usmc veteran (23yrs).
1) I would like to know is Denver an actual safe place to stay? We're African American (although me and my father are half white so we don't really look black)
2) What are some of the areas i don't need to find a place in.
An apartment is fine I just know nothing about the area and don't want to move into a "ghetto".
(We have always lived in mostly Upper Middle-Class Communities my whole life)
3) What is the car/racing scene like? Are there opportunities to get into professional drag racing?
4) What are some nice apartment communities that we can start off with for about 700/month?
5) What is there to do for older people (my parents) and 20 somethings?
6) What is the job market like right now? We're planning on getting employed ASAP.
7) Is there anything I should know before considering a move there?
8) Will we have to deal with racial issues/profiling?
Other info is we won't need public transportation as we have vehicles, no pets or children, and my dad likes scenery so any lakes or even little bodies of water or parks is cool.
Our minds are pretty much set but I want to know what it's REALLY like and not just advertising about the good stuff leaving out everything else.

I need honest And unbiased answers. I know weather is bipolar and air quality sucks already. Once we pack up were gone so I want to know everything I can before we just up and move.
Oh by the way were moving because we have to be close to a kaiser permanente and want a change of scenery instead of moving back to Northern VA.
Serious answers only this is important to me. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,740,542 times
You might want to start here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...oto-tours.html

One question: have you ever lived anywhere where it snowed? A lot?

Old 08-02-2013, 02:09 PM

45 posts, read 154,985 times
It's a fairly safe city compared to other cities of similar size. There are no really high crime-rate areas, but on the other side of the coin the unappealing with some crime areas are more spread out then most metro areas.

Denver and the metropolitan area has more garden variety unappealing areas to live in general then
most metro areas. There are some very nice areas however and there are no true awful areas in Denver like many
areas of similar population. This is just my opinion.

The only apartment complexes that are 700/mo will be a 1 bedroom apartment in 1960s era apartment complexes in
Westminster, Lakewood, Aurora and Thornton. Many of these complexes last time I was there in Denver about 6 months ago look very aged like they have not been remodeled and the grounds tend to be un-kept.

Glendale has some 1 bedrooms that might be around 700/mo, but likely closer to 800/mo for 1 bedroom. Glendale
complexes also tend to have waiting lists because it is in a good location.

1 bedrooms in very appealing areas will probably be closer to $1,000 when utilities are added to the rent.

Typically, 3 bedroom homes rent for between $1,200-$1,500 even in the not so great areas. There are very few vacancies on houses typically.

Entertainment in Denver depends on what interests are. There are a lot of people in their 20s in the Denver area and also a very large segment of the population is in their 50s.

The job growth has been good in the Denver area. But the unemployment rate is only slowly decreasing because the
population growth is actually higher then the job growth. There has been a lot of in-migration to the Denver area since
about 2010.

There are many little lakes and it is very scenic along the front range in general. This area draws in many who come
to Colorado for the scenery.

The air quality in the Denver area is actually not that bad. It was bad in the 80s, but has improved much since then.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Yes I have lived in areas that snow a lot. Actually we kinda like the snow and I learned how to drive for the first time in a mini blizzard when I was younger.

We found some two bedrooms for around 700 with fireplaces which surprised me.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:16 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,894,397 times
Default Some answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoureuse7 View Post
1) I would like to know is Denver an actual safe place to stay? We're African American
2) What are some of the areas i don't need to find a place in.
3) What is the car/racing scene like? Are there opportunities to get into professional drag racing?
4) What are some nice apartment communities that we can start off with for about 700/month?
5) What is there to do for older people (my parents) and 20 somethings?
6) What is the job market like right now?
7) Is there anything I should know before considering a move there?
8) Will we have to deal with racial issues/profiling?
9) I know weather is bipolar and air quality sucks already.
10) we're moving because we have to be close to a kaiser permanente
1. Almost anywhere.
a. A small section of Aurora. The northwest corner.
b. City of Federal Heights
c. City of Sheridan
3. Bandimere Upcoming Event I know nothing else about the subject.
4. No clue
5. Plenty of activities for everyone. All the usual sporting events, museums, etc. More than enough outdoor activities.
6. Job market is tough as many people are moving here. On the other hand, I don't see people on the street corners selling pencils so they must be finding jobs.
7. Learn to pick your nose. You will do that a lot here.
8. Not sure. The overall "black" population is 10% in Denver and Aurora. 4% statewide. No one will care about the bi-racial aspect.
9. Air quality is very good. You are misinformed.
10. Many KP facilities.

I think your rental budget is too low. By hundreds of dollars.

http://mycarmex.com/ is your friend

Last edited by davebarnes; 08-02-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 PM

371 posts, read 494,996 times
Quote:

Where were these two bedrooms? Good chance they're in parts of the city that you want to avoid (although, really, almost every neighborhood here is going to be better than almost all parts of DC).

Expect at least 1k for a decent-enough 2 bedroom, and that's not really putting you anywhere near any kind of nightlife. If you're into racing (note that I'm not an expert on this), we do have Bandimere speedway in Morrison, on the west side of town near the mountains. If that's something you're really into, look towards Lakewood (Kipling between Alameda and Hampden -- there is a smattering of reasonably priced apartments around there) or anywhere towards the west side town and west suburbs.

The economy is average. I hope you have a good savings fund for moving here, because it could take some time to find work.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,134,239 times
You will not find housing in upper middle class neighborhoods for $700/month.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,740,542 times
Quote:
Yes I have lived in areas that snow a lot. Actually we kinda like the snow and I learned how to drive for the first time in a mini blizzard when I was younger.

Oh, good. It can be a bit of shock if you aren't used to it.

My son is stationed at Ft. Bragg and he tells me that even the smallest amount of snow can cause quite the stir in that area.

You noted that you need to be near a Kaiser Permanente - do you have a specific one in mind?

There are a couple in Aurora, in good residential areas, and one of the nicest things about being in Aurora, particularly the more southern part of the city, is that you can get a wonderful view of the mountains.

This complex is very close to the medical office on Exposition. Zip is 80012.

Park Place at Expo Apartments Apartments For Rent in Aurora, Colorado - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Old 08-02-2013, 05:26 PM

No specific one in mind just one where I can live in a semi decent complex and won't have to drive 45+ min to get there. Traffic doesn't bother me I'm used to dc/md/va traffic so it's no biggie.
I can do a little bit more than 700 and I wasn't expecting a place with utilities included so I'm flexible

Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,894,397 times
Default You are confused

Quote:
I can do a little bit more than $700
Think $1000+
Colorado Division of Housing: Metro Denver apartment vacancies down to 13-year low
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver