Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 13,861 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

A good girlfriend of mine and I are moving to Denver at the end of September and are hoping for some advice on what neighborhoods to be looking in. We are interested in more of a younger crowd, we enjoy the nightlife and bar scene but also don't want to spend a fortune on an apartment. We are looking to spend up to 1100-1200 on a place and would like to be in a central area to downtown, wash park, DTC. Somewhere with a short(er) cab ride to downtown or maybe an area with fun bars nearby to meet some new people would be helpful. We don't have jobs yet but we both have years and years of serving in restaurants and I am currently a bartender in San Diego so I'm hoping it's not hard to get a restaurant job at a popular spot. I've read a lot of threads and have had so many mixed opinions about places. So far it looks as tho capitol hill is pretty popular but there might be some "seedy" areas by there or wash park but it gets pretty pricey? If anyone has any advice, it'd be greatly appreciated. We also don't mind living in an older building with lots of character or something like that, I love all the brick that Colorado has so that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Default Well, I can only that

Quote:
Two single girls, mid-20's
are really in their mid-20s [no apostrophe].

Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 PM

792 posts, read 2,875,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
are really in their mid-20s [no apostrophe].
This may be complex because the ages are imprecise. If they are 25 and 27, for example, "mid to late 20s" could also work. Or possibly the appealingly vague twentysomething.

Chicago Style Q&A: Hyphens, En Dashes, Em Dashes

Last edited by JBPisgah; 07-17-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 AM

57 posts, read 125,117 times
Really guys? If you aren't going to answer the question, why bother even answering? Girls -- I can't offer too much advice, but I think you won't have any problem finding something in your budget that will work for you. I wish you luck.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 AM

792 posts, read 2,875,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesla30 View Post
you won't have any problem
This.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 13,861 times
thank you! hope to meet people like you in Denver!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 PM

352 posts, read 713,717 times
If you live "downtown" you still wouldn't want to walk home from the bars. If you live five minutes from downtown and don't want to drive, no taxi will pick up a 5 minute fare. The reality of living downtown doesn't compare to the idea of living downtown. I love going down there during the day but have dropped the idea of actually living there. I only live 22 minutes away right now (up in Westminster).

I just talked to an acquaintance who used to live at 16th and Grant. She and her husband now live in Broomfield (!). She said "I am so over living downtown" then listed a multitude of reasons why.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
If you live "downtown" you still wouldn't want to walk home from the bars. If you live five minutes from downtown and don't want to drive, no taxi will pick up a 5 minute fare. The reality of living downtown doesn't compare to the idea of living downtown. I love going down there during the day but have dropped the idea of actually living there. I only live 22 minutes away right now (up in Westminster).

I just talked to an acquaintance who used to live at 16th and Grant. She and her husband now live in Broomfield (!). She said "I am so over living downtown" then listed a multitude of reasons why.
Exactly. I lived in downtown in other city and was doing the same thing. Changed two apartments in one year and was still inconvenient, until I moved 10 minutes from downtown. I assume Denver is not highly walk-able, full with policeman downtown where you can walk home after the bar/club closes.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 16,112 times
I live in Capitol Hill and really love it here. This area will be a perfect fit for you and your friend. I live 2 blocks
From whole foods and downtown is a stones throw. Most of the buildings are pretty classical...brick, Tudors, etc.
I would try to stay a few blocks away from colfax, but otherwise the neighborhood is really safe. Wash Park is really
Nice as well, but further from downtown and expensive. I would try and find a place on the following streets...Pearl,
Clarkson, Washington, or Ogden. Hope that helps!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM

431 posts, read 1,242,144 times
Check out Lower Highland around the 16th & Boulder area. Walkable to Lodo and tons of bars/clubs/restaurants there via the bridges along 16th, but also has its own bars and restaurants and lots of new apartments. It's more expensive than Capitol Hill but comparable to what you'll find in other downtown neighborhoods, and doesn't have the homeless problem that plagues the Ballpark neighborhood (ground zero for being in the heart of Lodo bars/clubs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver