Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 17,678 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Im a 28 year old single female and have been lurking on this board for a couple of weeks and you all almost have me convinced to "take the plunge" and move to Denver. I just graduated from a Masters program at the University of Michigan. I took a health care counsulting job in which I can live wherever I want in the United States as long as I have access to a major airport. I have the option to stay in Ann Arbor but I am looking for a change. Right now my dilema is between moving to DC or Denver. I have lived in several places, most recently the SF bay area before coming to Michigan for school.

My sister, brother-in-law, and nephew are in the DC area along with a couple of good friends from grad school. I also have several friends who live on the east coast in NYC, Philly, and Boston. I know I would have a good support system there to start with and I love to visit DC, however I do not think I would want to live there if those few certain people weren't there. It is very uncertain if these people are going to stay as my sister and her family are planning to move back west within a few years and a couple of my friends on the east coast have recently lost thier jobs. Upon apartment hunting I have found the rents there to be sky high. I went to college in Philadelphia and although I had a great time just never felt "at home" there. If I move to DC I feel like there will always be a yearning to "go west".

I wanted to move back to the SF bay area, however right now can't afford the cost of moving out there and discovered the state income tax would be twice as high as most other places. (I will make the same salary no matter where I live). My friend suggested Denver and Ive been doing a lot of research and it sounds like it might be a great fit. I could get a nicer place for half the cost, pay off my students loans faster, save money. I will be traveling a lot for work so the central location will help me avoid long flights or red eyes that could make my life miserable if I ended up with a client on the opposite coast while living in DC or SF.

I am originally from western Montana and I really miss the mountains, scenery, and non-humid summers. Its seems like the atmosphere of Denver might feel more like "home" than DC. From my research it also seems Denver has a very good singles scene for late 20s early 30s that includes more options than speed dating in bars and offers opportunities for both dating and friendships. I also prefer meeting up with friends at sports bars or pubs as opposed to "clubbing" which it seems Denver might fit my taste better.

I do have a couple of friendly acquaintances in the Denver area but they are not people that are "close" friends at this time. Denver seems to have a lot to offer, however I became a little concerned with the posts from people who hadn't made any friends since from the nature of my job I probably won't be meeting young people through work in the area. When I moved to SF I didn't know anybody so know how hard it is to find friendships when you are new to town. Most of my friends there ended up coming through work so I am a little nervous about moving to a brand new place again. I have heard people in Denver are down to earth and really friendly so I'm hoping friendships would come in time if I make the effort.

My other concern which may seem a little silly. I love being outdoors and miss the sunshine of SF. I like to take low key hikes or bike rides however I am not an "adventurer" and not into whitewater rafting, rock climbing, etc. I also do not ski or snowboard, but wouldn't mind going to the mountain to try it out! Will I have trouble fitting in or finding friends my age who enjoy the same activity level? (or who would not mind when I dont want to go ride the rapids)

So should I go to DC for my current connections (that might not be there in a year or two) or take the plunge and come to Denver since I feel like in the long term I want to be out west?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading! I'm seriously consider flying out there in the near future to spend some time so any information would be helpful.

Colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:49 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Everything in your post screams D-E-N-V-E-R !! Just do it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:28 PM

330 posts, read 878,584 times
I agree with the moderator. Denver is an easy decision since it sounds like that's where your heart is..

Only think you have to consider before making the decision is your career. If your career is ranked number one, then DC in the short term is probably the right decision. Once you bank some experience and money, then you will many more option with your to the west.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
This is about your life - if you would enjoy living in DC even if only for a short time, then do it. Even if you end up in Denver.

When you have a family, it's harder to relocate. But right now? You'll never have more opportunities than right now.

There is nothing wrong with wanting it all, and making it happen.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,338 times
I agree with 2beindenver. I grew up in Denver and am currently living in DC...they're not even comparable cities. They're just so different in so many ways. I love DC, I find it refreshingly different from anywhere I've ever lived. There's so many great neighborhoods and TONS of things to do. I think living here is way better than visiting. I did touristy stuff and it just got old real quick. "Real" DC is so much better than the small slice you see when you visit.
Honestly, try out DC, try out Denver, whatever you want to do. Either way, since you're currently without kids, etc if you don't like wherever you are you can always leave.
My biggest complaint about Denver vs. DC is that I wish Denver was a bigger city. Sometimes it feels too small for my taste. However, Denver does have a much lower cost of living--a big advantage.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:30 PM

306 posts, read 436,722 times
I currently live in Northern Virginia and work in DC. I also have spent 12 of the past 16 years in Denver.

The best way for me to sum it up is that a much larger percentage of people who live in Denver live there for the lifestyle and quality of life. I have found that the primary reason most people are in DC are for an employment opportunity. Many people who come here eventually move on. Most people who move to Denver seem to stay.

DC has a lot to do and is obviously much more culturally diverse. DC is outrageously expensive and the traffic is out of control. I used to think Colorado Ave. was bad, now it looks as fun as a waterslide at Disneyland compared to here. I believe you can find a good life almost everywhere you live if you put some effort into it. Denver to me is just a very special and unique place to live. My only issue is that I did feel land locked and isolated there at times.

I worked for the same company in both cities in the exact position and the difference was night and day. Advantage Denver.

In Denver, people work to live, in DC they live to work.

If everyone could live anywhere they wanted to and only needed an airport close by, Denver would have 10 million residents.

Based on your post and my two cents, go buy a Rockies hat and move West.

Cheers and good luck.

And yes, I most likely will be moving back there myself.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,338 times
I just re-read your post and realized you said that you would be making the same amount no matter where you end up. If you'd be looking at say, 35K in DC or 35K in Denver...I'm changing my statement. If you wouldn't see your money go up in DC to make up for the cost of living, you'd probably be living so far out that you'd hate it. Everything this so much cheaper in Denver...rent, food, gas, random things like yoga, that you probably could better fund the kind of life you want to live, whatever that is. So yes I change my statement lol.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Default Choose Denver

No question about. Denver is the better choice. (I lived in DC for several years as I worked in the federal government.)

Here's my take on pros and cons of each:

DC
-----

Pros: well developed, extensive collection of nice bike paths; beautiful waterfront; excellent choice of restaurants from around the world; excellent public transportation; great libraries.

Cons: lack of social scene (the only thing people care about is their careers); hard to make friends; very humid in the summer; long and clammy winters; high cost of living; more crime; lack of "wilderness areas" (most rural and mountain areas are developed farm areas.).

Denver
---------

Pros: better social scene, more laid back; much easier to make friends; excellent outdoors activities for all types of people; decent selection of shopping and restaurants; excellent weather; not humid;

Cons: need to have a car, public transportation is not as good;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen80 View Post
Hi all,

Right now my dilema is between moving to DC or Denver.

I am originally from western Montana and I really miss the mountains, scenery, and non-humid summers. Its seems like the atmosphere of Denver might feel more like "home" than DC.

I do have a couple of friendly acquaintances in the Denver area but they are not people that are "close" friends at this time. Denver seems to have a lot to offer, however I became a little concerned with the posts from people who hadn't made any friends since from the nature of my job I probably won't be meeting young people through work in the area.

So should I go to DC for my current connections (that might not be there in a year or two) or take the plunge and come to Denver since I feel like in the long term I want to be out west?

Colleen

Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice! I am looking into airline tickets to come out to Denver in the near future and check things out.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks everyone! I officially have a ticket and am coming to Denver to check it out! I would like to check out apartments while I am there. I am looking for a 1 bedroom and want to spend less than $800/month but could go up to $1000. I am looking for either a newer building or a renovated apartment preferably with a washer/dryer in the unit, a gym in the building, and free (or cheap) on-site parking. I would like to find an area that is convenient to downtown and nightlife either by walking, public transportation, or cheap (like $5-$10) cab ride. I will be traveling frequently for work so would also like to be in an area that is convenient to the airport (preferably less than 20 minutes) by driving, public transportation, or cab. I would prefer an area with a "neighborhood" or suburban feel to being in a high rise in the business district...however it would be nice to be able to take a walk to some restaurants, shops, bars. etc. and to have other young professionals around. Is there a neighborhood or apartment complex you would suggest that fits what I am looking for? From looking at a map it seems the area around City Park or the Stapleton area might be a good fit, but please let me know your suggestions! I only have 2 days there so if I can narrow my search that would be great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver