Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,627 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

So Im moving to lakewood soon from New Mexico. I will be working for the department of Fish & Wildlife services. Im young and will be alone, and I'd like to purchase a house. I will be making about 75K a year, and was hoping to spend 150K or less. Im not much into all the hip scene and stuff lol so a nice suburban setting is fine for me. I mostly like to do outdoors stuff. Im not finding much in that price range. Can anyone direct me to a certain location with 25 mins or less of a commute to look at or will i just need to increase my price range? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Let me see....the JOB is in Lakewood, right?

You can live anywhere, but IMO you won't find much in the Denver metro area for $150k. I did a quick check on Craigslist and found some in your price range in Arvada which is a good area. Also found a few in Lakewood. If you've never been through the buying process before, you should consider a "buyer's broker" who really looks out for YOUR interests and they cost you nothing.

Look at realtor. com to check home prices in various parts of town.

Because there is so much to learn about a metro area of 3M+ people and scores of neighborhoods, we often recommend that people rent for a year until they find what they really like.

Use padmapper.com to find rentals, but if you end up on craigslist, read and heed the warnings about scammers....if it sounds too good to be true....

Your income should allow you a decent living in the area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 PM

Hey Mike thanks for the quick response.

Yeah the actual work location is in lakewood, but I have a preference of living in the suburbs outside, but I am fairly well versed in real estate ive been looking for a few years, and this is the first time Ive actually plan on being somewhere long enough to purchase. It sounds like I might have to up my price to get what im looking for. Thanks again for the reply!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:10 PM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times
I would rent for a few months. I know it's a pain to move multiple times, but you might find that you can afford a bit more than $150K on a $75K salary *and* you might find a neighborhood or area that you LOVE once you've been living here for awhile.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Rent. Rent.
Did I say you should rent first?
The median price in Denver is $230K.
$150K is typically crap.
You need to rent.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
These are nice and you will be around other young single people:

143k: 7240 West Custer Avenue #204, Lakewood CO - Trulia

Even if it doesn't workout, you can rent these units fairly easily.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Thanks a lot for the insight guys. It looks like the consensus is to rent. What if I sayed I was a very stubborn young person who really wanted to buy lol.I mean the 150k was quite an arbitrary figure. I can use the VA loan with no down payment or PMI, and I have zero debt so I could carry quite a large mortage. Im just fairly cheap in general, and totally oblivious to the macro real estate in Lakewood. Would 200K get me something worthwhile. Any particular areas that would get me that suburaban feel for that price range. Thanks a lot for the replie s.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 PM

Hey Mach50 those are really really nice! I dont think i mentioned in my previous post im really looking at how the market is a little outside the city. I love the outdoors, and I have a dog so a back yard is a most, and im really not looking to live in the condo "hip" enviornment. Thanks for your post though I know if I need to I can look into those types of properties in my range.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
The place you are going to work in right in a good location where you can find homes around $150,000 in good neighborhoods in Lakewood, Wheat Ridge and Arvada which are easy commutes to where you will be working. If you go to $200,000 you can find many more good homes.

This is the site of the local MLS Homes for Sale in Colorado | Metrolist MLS and a quick search brought up this home in Lakewood
3322 S Jellison Court, Lakewood, CO 80227 | Listing Information | Metrolist MLS it is in very good area near parks and trails on Bear Creek and just down Kipling from the Federal Center.

All these cities in and around the Federal Center have extensive parks, trails and open space nearby. In addition you are very close to more amenities along the foothills of the Rockies.

Livecontent

Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
I think you should buy. I bought my first house for $152K and it was a small ranch 3bdrm, 2 bath 2 car garage 1700 sqr ft. Absolutely perfect for me and my pets. Could have lived there forever.

But you may not be able to find anything to buy right away. The price range your looking at is very competitive right now because the rentals are going for more than the mortgage payments so investors are snapping up the low priced properties. Be prepared for a long search with many offers put in and rejected. Short sales like the one above from livecontent can take a long time to close. Like 6 mths or more. And they often put a low price in the ad to attract attention but folks bid over that price, with the sale going to an all cash buyer. For your situation you may have to find a conventional seller willing to accept an offer from someone with financing who is perhaps emotionally tied to the property and doesn't want to see it become a rental.

I applaud you for sticking to an affordable price for your salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver