Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:13 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times

Advertisements

I know there were gangs when I went to school in Denver. I don't have any idea how it is now.
To me, it wouldn't matter IF they were wannabes or not! If they are doing some kind of gang stuff....I'm certainly not going to think, "Oh, nevermind, you're not the real deal!!" I'm gonna be scared and mad no matter what!
When I was a school bus driver for Cherry Creek Schools in the late 80's, early 90's..I had a few gang members on a route of mine (got one permanently kicked off).....they were white by the way.
So I'd say it's everywhere with no boundaries of color, wealth, etc.
I don't know how this compares to other states.
My oldest son went to Smoky Hill High School. If a student wore tennis shoes or Doc Martins,....you had to wear shoelaces that matched the shoe..NO COLORS. White shoe, white laces, etc. He had a friend (girl) that wore purple laces in her Doc Martins and, she was suspended for 3 days.
I couldn't let anyone on my bus with a cap on their head, no matter what!
I guess there are ways to deter being in a gang,....I would try the different programs that help an individual...I know there are some out there! Good Luck. Hope your move goes well for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 23,112 times
Default Maybe too late

If you look up George Washington High School in Denver, I know that there is a large black population in that area, the school of GW itself is about 85% black, but i have never heard about gang activity in the area. There might be some gangs, but I can tell you that your kids will be easier to keep track off in that area and the gangbangers in that area arent as bad as the guys in 5 points, montbello, colfax, northeast park hill, and aurora

Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,483,483 times
GW is not 85 percent black.

It also has a fantastic IB program.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Wow, I can't believe what i'm seeing in this thread. Gangs in Denver? Ha ha. The gang problem here is sooooooo small.

I can tell that a lot of people in this thread are talking about "gangsters" and saying they see them. But what they are really seeing is just thuggish people who dress in hip-hop style. Some of you all don't seem to know the difference. Denver has lots of thuggish people, but there are not many gangsters here who actually claim colors and all that. There aren't any places here where you need to watch what color you wear and things like that.

Lot's of Denver people will see someone who looks rough and thuggish and call him a gangster when he really is not. If they see a guy with baggy pants, tattoos and dark skin, they just think GANGSTER ignorantly. I've seen lots of people around here do it.

I have seen a few real gangsters here. I saw a group of guys the other day wearing khakis with blue rags on their heads that were crips. And I know that drug cartels are active here as this is is transporting hub. But there is a very, very small amount of them and they tend to be low profile. I've only seen them a few times in my months of being here.

I spend most of my time in Aurora and 5 points right now. And both areas are not very dangerous. A lot of you people need to move to a real big city to get a perspective on this.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:07 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I can tell that a lot of people in this thread are talking about "gangsters" and saying they see them. But what they are really seeing is just thuggish people who dress in hip-hop style. Some of you all don't seem to know the difference. Denver has lots of thuggish people, but there are not many gangsters here who actually claim colors and all that. There aren't any places here where you need to watch what color you wear and things like that.
"Thuggish", "Hip-Hop" or "gangster", there is no real difference as far as I am concerned. I don't want to live near, or have to send my kids to school with either of them.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:57 PM

38 posts, read 135,907 times
Just because you dress a specific way doesn't mean you are a gangster. My main concern actually about moving from NYC to Denver is the prejudice towards people of color just because they belong to a culture that has a hip-hop movement or dress in baggy clothes. This thread unfortunately is reinforcing my fears.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromaple View Post
Just because you dress a specific way doesn't mean you are a gangster.
No, it just means you look like one.

In the western states, it doesn't matter so much as to your color (many white people dress this way), but generally speaking, there is no "hip hop culture" to speak of, and most kids who dress this way will get stereotyped as thugs... and unfortunately... many are. The tweakers and racists (white) are also into that look now.

Once you get into your 20's... you are just walking around with a big target on your back if you dress that way. Cops, parents, and gangsters alike. In a city like NYC with a big population of people who dress that way you might not raise attention, but in most western cities... outside from the city neighborhoods... you stick out in a way you probably aren't used to.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:56 AM

7 posts, read 18,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Born View Post
LMAO woooow NE Belltown are u serious LMAO wooooow im in shock. did i even say DENVER was worse then LA..NO SEATTLE tho...IS A JOKE..ALL of it...and by the way the big gangs in denver...Tre Tre, Crenshaw Mafia, 80Z blood gang, Compton Crips jusst a few..and where do you think there from?...LA....sod ont even try telling me theyre not real.
Actually i am a former blood from seattle, washington. You will not sit there and tell me that they are safe. Same with denver. i have had friends die in my arms because of gangs in those cities. No they diffinently are not as bad as New York or LA BUT it is still dangerous in seattle and denver believe me

Old 02-01-2009, 08:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromaple View Post
Just because you dress a specific way doesn't mean you are a gangster. My main concern actually about moving from NYC to Denver is the prejudice towards people of color just because they belong to a culture that has a hip-hop movement or dress in baggy clothes. This thread unfortunately is reinforcing my fears.
Are you seeing this in Denver? I don't live in the city, but my daughter does, and I'm certainly not hearing any of this from her or on the news.

See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Wow, I can't believe what i'm seeing in this thread. Gangs in Denver? Ha ha. The gang problem here is sooooooo small.

Lot's of Denver people will see someone who looks rough and thuggish and call him a gangster when he really is not. If they see a guy with baggy pants, tattoos and dark skin, they just think GANGSTER ignorantly. I've seen lots of people around here do it.

I have seen a few real gangsters here. I saw a group of guys the other day wearing khakis with blue rags on their heads that were crips. And I know that drug cartels are active here as this is is transporting hub. But there is a very, very small amount of them and they tend to be low profile. I've only seen them a few times in my months of being here.

I spend most of my time in Aurora and 5 points right now. And both areas are not very dangerous. A lot of you people need to move to a real big city to get a perspective on this.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:17 AM

15 posts, read 58,035 times
Sassberto,

I am very familiar with Rolando where you are from. (used to go to the kroc Center frequently). I am a delivery driver here in Denver so I see the entire area, Trust me, Rolando is far more "thuggish" than anything I see here in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver