Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM

24 posts, read 104,442 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm very interested in the performing arts and am wondering if anyone would mind telling me a little more about Denver's scene.

A little bit more about me: I'm 24, and just recently graduated from college. I performed in plays throughout college, and was a part of the improv troupe. I'm not sure how selective or "cliquey" these are to become involved with in Denver. I'd love to continue either one or both of them when I move -- do you think this would be extremely difficult for a transplant (more so than for a native)? I'd also really appreciate any other input you may have!

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb986 View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm very interested in the performing arts and am wondering if anyone would mind telling me a little more about Denver's scene.

A little bit more about me: I'm 24, and just recently graduated from college. I performed in plays throughout college, and was a part of the improv troupe. I'm not sure how selective or "cliquey" these are to become involved with in Denver. I'd love to continue either one or both of them when I move -- do you think this would be extremely difficult for a transplant (more so than for a native)? I'd also really appreciate any other input you may have!

Thank you so much!
There is a great improv theater under the Wynkoop bar called Impulse Theater. They have the audience yell out ideas to improv. It is good and quite funny. Their website is Denver's Impulse Theater Improv Comedy Club | Home | Denver's Longest Running Show. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks, Timmy!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:15 PM

369 posts, read 966,191 times
The Bovine is another one:

Bovine Metropolis Theater :: Denver Improv

They have regular classes to get you into the scene.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 PM

39 posts, read 92,094 times
These don't exactly meet what you're referring to, but two of my favorite Denver theatre traditions:

Cafe Nuba
CafeNuba
It's a monthly spoken word and music showcase. Tons of fun, with some truly spontaneous moments.

Freak Train
http://www.bugtheatre.org/
The last Monday of the month at Bug Theatre - it's a hilarious open mike night, with both aspiring actors and every day freaks trying out 5 minute improvisational skits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb986 View Post
Hi everyone!

Thank you so much!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,076 times
I work in the theatre in Denver. As for improv, there are quite a few groups in the area. More generally, Denver is probably a great place for you to get involved in theatre. There are a few big-time Equity professional theatres (DCPA, Arvada Center) and a handfull of smaller professional theatre where one can make a living in the theatre. But there is also quite a large number of smaller semi-pro and community theatres with a wide range of experience, budgets, venues, and productions.

Check out the Colorado Theatre Guild website at Untitled. They list auditions there, plus there's a pretty comprehensive list of most of the theatre companies in the area.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Thanks so much, guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver