Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:18 PM

7 posts, read 15,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Sounds like Boulder was made for you.
Thank you, PokerMunkee. I think Boulder will be a city which I visit often. From Denver- it's just quick drive away (much better than a 3+hr flight). :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gregg View Post
I like the Capital Hill area, that's where I had lived when I was there (man I want to go back!!!).

Basically areas between Broadway to the West, York to the East, 20th to the north and probably can go anywhere to about 8th to the north. Although I liked the areas along 17th Street. Dont' want to live on or right off of colfax. Sketchy element hang out on that block, but I really like the bars there. I also like being close to City Park, as every sunday in the summer is a free City Park Jazz that draws lots of people. Being in this area you have some good local bars, close to the Fillmore and my favorite bars Sanchos and Pete's MOnkey bar, and you are not too far from downtown.

Loved it in that area, can't speak for anywhere else but that's where I would prefer to live. I should add that that area also has a high gay population and several gay bars, since you mentioned being bi. I too was in my late 20's, early 30s when I lived there. Unfortunately my job ended and I couldn't find one there but hopefully will be back there in the future, great place, you are lucky to be moving there
Dr Gregg, thank you for your input and information. Very good to know! And I appreciate the 'your lucky'- cuz I'll certainly need luck for this crazy move I'm making! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gregg View Post
Don't even question it, Denver is awesome. The summers are phenomenal. May be in the 90's but its bearable because its dry. Little bugs also. Go into the shade and its pleasant. The winters are very mild, much much better than Chicago. Being dryer, its not as bone chilling when it gets cold. The boutique apartments you speak of are right in the area I suggested. I loved it in that area, I think you would. Can't speak of the apartment. If you are looking for cheap rent for the area, if you can be OK without fancy apartment and amenities, I lived at 1878 Vine St apartments, 2 blocks from City park, and a couple of good bars down the street (Vine St Pub and The Thin Man). 1 BR 525 Sq feet was only $535. Amazing for that area. I've also lived at Uptown Square which was really nice, and had loads of amenities, but is costly, especially now.

My concern is coming without a job, it seems like its hard to get a job in Denver, everybody wants to live here its so great.
Dr Gregg (again)- thanks for your feedback, and your suggestion. I just looked up your old apt online (good panoramic pic of the building and surrounding street area).
And yes- I, too, am concerned about going without a job. But I'll start diligently searching in January. Perhaps I can visit a week or so in advance of my relocation- like the first week of March, and secure some interviews and my apartment. I feel like if I don't have an ideal Spa job lined up- I'll do whatever just to make my bills. I'm not opposed to taking a job just to have a job while I find another. I have never been so flexible- usually I'm pretty particular. But I want this Denver thing so much- I'm willing to do what needs to be done.

Regards.
x&o

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusmgm View Post
You could add the southern portions of Whittier (stay south of about 23rd for best results). The housing is a little cheaper and you might find someone more open to larger dogs.

My neighborhood is Speer (between West Wash Park and Capitol Hill) and I love it.
Maximusmgm, thank you for your suggestions. I was wondering about Speer. ... And I'll look into S Whittier.

Regards.
x&o

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-29-2010 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 PM

Default STILL CONSIDERING (Re-considering) Relocating to Denver from Chicago ...

... but this time with a new twist.

*Btw, I am still new to this City-Data Forum (last and only posts from this same thread dated Winter 2010) ... unsure how to 'revive a thread', so I am 'replying' as to not lose history.* Sorry if not as ideal as could be. *blush*

OK, so my dream (and revitalized goal) is to relocate from the NW Suburbs of Chicago to the city of Denver. Everything that I mentioned and described about myself in my 1.5yr ago post still applies --- except I (very unfortunately, and sadly) will not be bringing my Dogs. ... But now I am considering my move with my 20 year old Daughter and her Baby Son. We all need a big change (and a more temperate climate, and more sun!) :-)
So I still desire cultural diversity ('race' & 'ethnic'/'nationality' is not so relevant - I just want a mix of *skin colors*).
GREEN lifestyle very important: (Reduce/Reuse/Recycle/Compost, Partial Vegetarian, Very Organic, Try to Reduce my Carbon Footprint, Try to only eat/ use products that support the Ethical Treatment of Animals).
Spirituality (Holistic, Alternative/ Eastern/ Integrative Health), Chakras, Tantra, Meditation, Yoga - esp hot yoga.
Safety, but reasonably priced apartment/condo for rent. Looking for my and my little Fam's safety, but also our modest stuff (cuz everything we own in the world will be with us - without much safety net), and my car, too.
Comfort: I'm an Italian / Puerto Rican American woman, age 36. Daughter is Italian / PR & African American / Irish, age 20. Plus, Baby. So somewhere where it's not all students / college-agers (love the energy, but don't necessarily want to live among them), but not all married seniors either. ... I am Bi-Sexual, but living in a 'Gay Friendly' community is not as important to me, as my Family being 'comfortable' / accepted / welcome. On the other hand, just because I'll have a Baby in my household doesn't mean I need to be around all families either.

I will also need to secure a job. Again, I am an Esthetician (Integrative Holistic) & Educator - so will apply for CO licensure and likely seek Spa positions. But I am college educated and willing to work almost any reasonable job that goes along with my value and virtue system to support my family as best I can until a career job is attained. My daughter has not completed college, and will at some point likely attend the Community College of Denver. ... She, btw, does not have her own car and will be sharing mine / using public transportation (as best as she can, having been from the Suburbs of Chi and never yet doing so).

Looking for any further direction on where to narrow my home search. In the past (above posts) I was suggested: Capital Hill, LoDo, Highlands, ... 5 Points, Lincoln Park, ... Cheesman Park, City Park, Uptown, Baker ... Speer, Whittier (Southern portions).

I will be visiting May Thurs 05.24 - Tues 05.29.

THANK YOU in advance!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 13,011,628 times
I would rule out LoDo -- there's nothing there that's remotely "reasonably priced," and for my taste it's a like living on top of the sports bars and clubs that proliferate there.

I think you'll like Highlands, but it may be too expensive for you. Still, check it out. Highlands is an older set, more 30+, than other areas, with more couples with some kids. Baker is pretty similar to Highlands in some ways but I think the price tag is cheaper.

Capitol Hill / Cheesman park area has many apartments for relatively cheaper rent (for a city-center area), but parking may be a problem there. There are some houses around there but even most of them are cut up into apartments and condos. This area is younger than Highlands, a lot more singles there. Uptown is basically the same area, just north of Colfax. All these are a very transit/pedestrian friendly neighborhood, so if you want to walk everywhere and take the bus, it's probably the place to go.

Your other areas are mostly good, some a bit more transitional than Highlands, for instance, but hopefully less expensive. Lincoln Park does have a LOT of public housing around, so you might want to keep that in mind. One thing about Denver is that even the "bad" areas aren't really all that bad, especially not by Chicago standards.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 PM

THANK YOU thank you! :-)

Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 AM

556 posts, read 1,203,996 times
I would also look further west and north from highlands- berkeley, sunnyside, etc. more affordable, plenty of character and still an easy bike ride downtown.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 AM

143 posts, read 276,295 times
Capital Hill, LoDo, Highlands, City Park West, Broadway Terrace are all neighborhoods you should check out, although you do sound like you should have been born in Boulder.

IMO Denver is all that you mention, lots of green healthy vegetarians here. You will enjoy eating at Watercourse and SAME cafe.

Remember when you get here the altitude will knock you out and it will take you a while to get your stamina back, especially for aerobic exercise.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:59 PM

TFox, Woob, Autodidact : thank you for taking the time to reply. :-)
Autodidact, funny about the being born in Boulder comment. I have been told this many times before. But I prefer a few more skin variations (seemed very vanilla when I was there visiting a few years ago). And I would need more money to afford and live comfortably. Damn my brown and sorta brokie parents. ;-)

Old 07-11-2013, 06:23 AM

56 posts, read 72,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavelleVelez View Post
... but this time with a new twist.

*Btw, I am still new to this City-Data Forum (last and only posts from this same thread dated Winter 2010) ... unsure how to 'revive a thread', so I am 'replying' as to not lose history.* Sorry if not as ideal as could be. *blush*

OK, so my dream (and revitalized goal) is to relocate from the NW Suburbs of Chicago to the city of Denver. Everything that I mentioned and described about myself in my 1.5yr ago post still applies --- except I (very unfortunately, and sadly) will not be bringing my Dogs. ... But now I am considering my move with my 20 year old Daughter and her Baby Son. We all need a big change (and a more temperate climate, and more sun!) :-)
So I still desire cultural diversity ('race' & 'ethnic'/'nationality' is not so relevant - I just want a mix of *skin colors*).
GREEN lifestyle very important: (Reduce/Reuse/Recycle/Compost, Partial Vegetarian, Very Organic, Try to Reduce my Carbon Footprint, Try to only eat/ use products that support the Ethical Treatment of Animals).
Spirituality (Holistic, Alternative/ Eastern/ Integrative Health), Chakras, Tantra, Meditation, Yoga - esp hot yoga.
Safety, but reasonably priced apartment/condo for rent. Looking for my and my little Fam's safety, but also our modest stuff (cuz everything we own in the world will be with us - without much safety net), and my car, too.
Comfort: I'm an Italian / Puerto Rican American woman, age 36. Daughter is Italian / PR & African American / Irish, age 20. Plus, Baby. So somewhere where it's not all students / college-agers (love the energy, but don't necessarily want to live among them), but not all married seniors either. ... I am Bi-Sexual, but living in a 'Gay Friendly' community is not as important to me, as my Family being 'comfortable' / accepted / welcome. On the other hand, just because I'll have a Baby in my household doesn't mean I need to be around all families either.

I will also need to secure a job. Again, I am an Esthetician (Integrative Holistic) & Educator - so will apply for CO licensure and likely seek Spa positions. But I am college educated and willing to work almost any reasonable job that goes along with my value and virtue system to support my family as best I can until a career job is attained. My daughter has not completed college, and will at some point likely attend the Community College of Denver. ... She, btw, does not have her own car and will be sharing mine / using public transportation (as best as she can, having been from the Suburbs of Chi and never yet doing so).

Looking for any further direction on where to narrow my home search. In the past (above posts) I was suggested: Capital Hill, LoDo, Highlands, ... 5 Points, Lincoln Park, ... Cheesman Park, City Park, Uptown, Baker ... Speer, Whittier (Southern portions).

I will be visiting May Thurs 05.24 - Tues 05.29.

THANK YOU in advance!
BOULDER. Boulder, Boulder, Boulder. Everything you want is in Boulder.

Oh and just because CU main campus is in Boulder doesn't mean it's all students/college-agers. There are more colleges in Denver than there are in Boulder.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM

459 posts, read 810,812 times
Diversity and affordability in Boulder? Really? In my experience Boulder is about as diverse as a KKK rally (granted much more tolerant), and is as costly to rent in as the higher end neighborhoods in Denver.

Either way since that post was made over a year ago I am assuming she made a decision by now. Just wanted to throw that out there in case someone stumbles across this thread.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,125,999 times
I think your desires for an environmentally conscious/liberal/cultural/spiritual mecca and desire for diverse skin colors contradict each other. The Latino communities are working class, Catholic, and eat traditional Mexican food (i.e. meat). You're not going to see vegans driving around in Priuses in these communities.

If you want the aspects of a community you are looking for, you're going to have to accept being around mostly white people. Not that they will judge you by your skin color, its really a non-issue. Obviously Denver has more diversity than any other city in Colorado, but the communities are pretty segregated (although not as much as Chicago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver