Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM

23 posts, read 63,666 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I'm looking to create a typographic map of the neighborhoods of Denver.

This map can be found on the Denver city website:
http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

From a local's perspective, are these neighborhood names accurate?

Are there any neighborhoods you feel are missing?

Are there any neighborhoods that are commonly reffered to by another name?

Any and all input from Denver natives is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,849,261 times
Default Missing

Sub neighborhoods are missing.
The official neighborhoods and their names are fine as far as I know.

Unofficial names are missing.
For example: Bonnie Brae.
Bonnie Brae is 100% inside Belcaro.
No one who lives in Bonnie Brae says that they live in Belcaro.
And those that live in Belcaro Park would be pissed if the Bonnie Brae people said they did live in Belcaro.
Belcaro also includes Lakota Heights (see the city engineer platt maps) and I guarantee that those who live in Belcaro Park are ashamed and angry that Lakota Heights is in their official neighborhood of Belcaro.
Just a tad bit of class warfare here.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 PM

17 posts, read 49,615 times
Those are the Denver 'statistical' neighborhoods which are useful to the city for tracking demographic information. Statistical neighborhood boundaries tend to be coincident with Census Tracts. Denver residents usually identify with their statistical neighborhood, but in some cases there are sub-neighborhoods (such as Bonnie Brae - mentioned above, Curtis Park, Ballpark, Alamo Placita) that people more strongly identify with.
I guess you could say that the statistical neighborhoods are a good start to understanding how Denver citizens identify themselves, but that many neighborhoods can be broken down further.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM

That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for: neighborhoods within neighborhoods.

There are often macro and micro neighborhoods, especially in larger cities.

Please feel free to throw out as many of these smaller neighborhood names that you can.

Currently, I've got:

Belcaro
-Bonnie Rae
-Belcaro Park
-Lakota Heights

Speer
-Alamo Placita

Five Points
-Curtis Park
-Ballpark

Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,002,715 times
I know this is just Denver stuff, but it would be nice if this map existed for the entire metro area

Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,849,261 times
Default It gets better

I asked my neighbor--who has lived his entire life here-- what he says about where he lives.
His reply: The North Side.
I said: Not Berkeley?
"No, I have never said Berkeley."

I think this is typical for long-time residents of: Sunnyside, Berkeley, Highland, West Highland, Jefferson (and probably Sloan's Lake). Not sure about Regis and Chafee Park.

So, now we have:
Macro neighborhoods
Statistical (official) neighborhoods.
Micro neighborhoods.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,128,323 times
When I grew up in Harvey Park, no one called the neighborhood to the south Harvey Park South.

Everything south of Yale between Lowell and Wadsworth was considered Bear Valley.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Default Keep em comin!

@snikt - what other areas would you include for the metro area?

@daveb - thanks for talking to your neighbor. i think it's common in a lot of places to refer to a much larger are as "where you're from". When somone asks me where I live, I say "in town", rather than Ala Moana.

@davidd - what would you call Lowell to Federal?

I'm thinking about cropping out anything east of Stapleton (Montbello, Green Valley Ranch, Airport). Would it be a crime to create a "Denver" map and omit these areas? I've seen other maps that have done it (the original link posted for example), but I'm wondering if it's "acceptable". It definitely makes fitting Denver on a piece of paper a lot easier.

Any and all input welcome!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,002,715 times
Well at least the major suburbs

Littleton, highlands ranch, centennial, lakewood, englewood, maybe Golden, Arvada, Westminster, Broomfield, Thornton, Aurora

Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 PM

11,833 posts, read 34,454,569 times
just wait until the OP finds the finger....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver