Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:18 PM

339 posts, read 1,293,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Maybe you should start looking at the "unique" and "original" aspects a little closer before putting everyone else in a neatly categorized box. But maybe you need to look a little closer at individual people and places instead of broadly discussing stereotypes and overall impressions. Otherwise you're just coming across like every other out-of-stater that shows up, finds out Colorado is not what they expected, and then complains. Not very unique or original.
I am seeing the unique and original aspects. I am not generalizing, or making statements broadly. However, how hard is it to not notice something that is very clear?

There's going to be individual people everywhere regardless. Im not denying that. But, an individual does not make up a place and its characteristics. The overall people do.

Im not going thru any pains to figure out the differences. But, as I expected...there just isn't a big enough difference out here to warrant me wanting to settle down here. I just cant see that happening. It was great to visit here, I enjoyed my time and wouldn't mind coming back...but fact is, Denver still has characteristics of the rest of the southern plains cities and even the southwest.

I really dont want to sound like a downer, but on top of everything else...there's no nearby cities within gas-tank proximity except the mountain towns...I've gone a couple of times so far, but you need to have a good reason to be out there. Going out there without a mountain bike and canoe just feels out of place

Old 10-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant_2010 View Post
Then I would highly suggest Oakland...if you can afford it. California, in general, is a lot more casual than the East/South. You stated you had a problem with that in Denver. Having been in Denver a handful of times, I got the sense that the people were more outdoors oriented; because of the awesome rockies. Am I right to assume that?
You are correct...

As for California, I dont think I could do it. Because then, I'd be terribly far from the U.K....and thats really where Im wanting to go starting next year. Out of this country because there's a whole lot of nothing here except a few select cities on the east, west, great lakes and south..all which are thousands of miles apart. I cant really say too much about The Bay area because I've never been.

I was about to go to California one week, and I had chatted with some people prior to going. I constantly heard 'flake, fake and attitude'. Even from the locals...so I just cant fathom myself being there, but then again...I haven't been so I can only speak from what others have told me.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:43 PM

2,893 posts, read 7,186,817 times
Someone much wiser than I said, "wherever you go, there you are."

Old 10-16-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Someone much wiser than I said, wherever you go, there you are.
There may be some truth in that, but at the same time if said person had traveled enough, they would realize that where you are does have an impact on how you feel about things around you. Why should anyone be forced to like Denver, or forced to like such and such and be told that they might as well stay here because "wherever you go, there you are?"

Particularly with the U.S. and this region is, you really have to go far to notice a difference.

One of the things I was apprehensive about prior to relocating here was the fact that the distance from Texas wasn't that great...so therefore the difference wouldn't be that great. Although I have noticed some, from an outside view (the outside being where I originally came from) its similar.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:21 PM

I had a friend warn me awhile back, before I ever visited Denver...that the area is a very frugal, and he couldn't of been closer than the truth...

I work in sales, and unlike Texas I have found people here to be uncompromisingly frugal. It is very hard to upsell to clients out here, as compared to Texas, Oklahoma and even Kansas City.

I cant really understand the rationale behind that, being that this is a seemingly progressive city...but after going to Colorado Springs and seeing that they turn off 4-5 street lights in a row to save money, is a bit disconcerting to me. Right along with the people I've come across who think spending $20 on a shirt is too expensive. Stuff like that just drives me nuts. If people aren't spending any money, how can they expect any to come here? Answer is..it wont. I had the same issue in San Antonio and I fell for the same trap here. All the money is on the coasts.

The area has proven to be cheap, and a person like me from Miami cant deal with not having access to the fast money...

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 10-16-2010 at 06:35 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 07:55 PM

529 posts, read 1,333,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I had a friend warn me awhile back, before I ever visited Denver...that the area is a very frugal, and he couldn't of been closer than the truth...

I work in sales, and unlike Texas I have found people here to be uncompromisingly frugal. It is very hard to upsell to clients out here, as compared to Texas, Oklahoma and even Kansas City.
That's Dallas though. The people there are open to education about the products or services they are buying so that they can make the best choice.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
One of my best friends is black.the secret to her success is that she goes for what she wants. Rather than waiting for men she finds attractive to come hit on her, she is proactive and starts the conversation.
Ok, this I'm not personally having a go at you..but last night I was thinking about this phrase and couldn't help but come back to it...

What I interpreted this as, and in experience in my own personal life...is that this is pretty much saying that as a White guy, they are too good to go up and approach/start a conversation with her. So instead, she has to be the one to be the aggressor (as in, chasing a man) because as a Black woman who is 'hypothetically' not as 'worth approaching' (or man if its a same-sex thing), they need to go up to her.

I find that to be lopsided on so many levels. And I have seen it all my life having been in the south, and apparently the rest of the U.S. is not much different. If a White guy does not have the inclination to approach or start a conversation with said Black girl who is attracted to him, then said Black girl has no business talking to him. And that goes for anyone...but I always see and have dealt with that.

I met a guy at the club couple weeks ago, I started the conversation first. Sure he jumped right on it and was attracted to me...but guess what, for the next 2 weeks I was the one to be calling, texting and seeing how he's doing. And after him not showing up last night, I found someone else...or shall I say, someone else found ME.

Point is, thats the type of issue going on in Denver thats ignorned, not noticed...and thought to be 'just okay, just innocent...' Its not.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:28 PM

6,417 posts, read 12,016,972 times
Quote:

I cant really understand the rationale behind that, being that this is a seemingly progressive city...but after going to Colorado Springs and seeing that they turn off 4-5 street lights in a row to save money, is a bit disconcerting to me. Right along with the people I've come across who think spending $20 on a shirt is too expensive. Stuff like that just drives me nuts. If people aren't spending any money, how can they expect any to come here? Answer is..it wont. I had the same issue in San Antonio and I fell for the same trap here. All the money is on the coasts.

The area has proven to be cheap, and a person like me from Miami cant deal with not having access to the fast money...
You are proving to be pretty ridiculous. People are frugal because they don't want to be upsold? Come on. People want what they want and buy it. Maybe they are just more educated and savvy about your products since its a pretty connected area?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of an area and if the area reminds you of Texas so be it. But you seem to be the one that wants to convince others of it instead of accepting few share your opinion on the matter. I spend more time than I ever want in Houston because of family and in no way shape or form could I say Houston is even a bit like Denver. Haven't spent as much time in Dallas or San Antonio, but from what I have seen I'd have to say both are a lot more like Houston than Denver.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
You are proving to be pretty ridiculous. People are frugal because they don't want to be upsold? Come on.
No, you've overstated my comment and twisted around to your own liking. Let me give some better examples:

I suggest a movie date. I have never in my life recieved the response from a potential date: "well, have to see if there's anything thats worth seeing for $10". Only in Denver...

16th street mall...a downtown mall at that, containing 'frugal' stores like Ross and Old Navy. Are you kidding me? But guess they did the right thing because I cant imagine higher end shops to do terribly well. (I really wish I'd paid more attention to that when I last visited, and saved myself some heartache)

Im in the service industry. I notice tipping here is down alot.

A guy I know who works in Colorado Springs explained to me how he works for people who do have decent amount of money, but is paying him "several dollars below the average" for the type of work he does: landscaping, home organizing, and caretaker.

I dont need anyone to tell me otherwise. I already know this place is cheap. I've had enough people tell me already. Besides, the state is surrounded by Kansas, Wyoming, NM and Utah. As far as I know, all 4 are...cheap. There's nothing more to it

Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 PM

345 posts, read 978,886 times
Quote:
I suggest a movie date. I have never in my life recieved the response from a potential date: "well, have to see if there's anything thats worth seeing for $10". Only in Denver...
I don't know anyone who would say that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver