Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,503 times

Advertisements

I have family coming in next weekend and they are interested in the Denver Art Museum. The days which we have available are Saturday and Sunday. I note that Saturday - First Saturday - the museum admission is free. This is, of course, a significant savings for our group. However, if the place is going to be jam packed it would not be worth it. I would appreciate advice from anyone with experience.

I assume the crowds are heavier anyway with the King Tut Exhibit, but is that bringing larger crowds to the other parts of the museum as well? I think we are going to give the Tut exhibit a pass due to time constraints.

Thanks,
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 04:45 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
My wife and I Tried to do one of the "free zoo" days. The crowds were SO ridiculous that we just gave up ~ there's no way you'd be able to see much of anything while exerting a ton of effort to keep calm from the mobs of people doing idiotic things.

We now go out of our way to Avoid the "free days", they are anything BUT free as you trade sanity for entrance fee. The entrance fee is less costly for us.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
We did a family outing on a free day, and it wasn't too bad. It was a day in August when it got up to 105 degrees (2-3 years ago), so there were a lot of people wanting to get out of the heat, too. I guess the answer is, "it depends". Certainly I would go as early as possible.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:17 PM

205 posts, read 503,803 times
My husband and I volunteer at the Denver Art Museum and as the others have posted, the free days do bring in more crowds but I think that you and your guests would still be able to see what you want and enjoy the museum. If you're going to pass on Tut, I'd enter the museum at the entrance in the North (original) building. You'll avoid most of the Tut crowds that way. If you decide to go on Sunday instead, the Hamilton building opens at 10:00AM, but the North building doesn't open until noon.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Arrby - I'm assuming your family are residents? Just a note - free days are only free to Colorado residents. I would also assume that even though the museum is free, the Tut exhibit would not. I know you said you were going to pass anyway, but if you were thinking about it, then you might as well go Sunday because if you have to pay for that, it includes admission to the rest of the museum.

We avoid the free days as well. I think we've made the mistake once. It's just crazy.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,503 times
Thank you all. This has been most helpful.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:56 AM

205 posts, read 503,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Arrby - I'm assuming your family are residents? Just a note - free days are only free to Colorado residents. I would also assume that even though the museum is free, the Tut exhibit would not. I know you said you were going to pass anyway, but if you were thinking about it, then you might as well go Sunday because if you have to pay for that, it includes admission to the rest of the museum.

We avoid the free days as well. I think we've made the mistake once. It's just crazy.
Free days are no longer restricted to CO residents. The museum received a corporate grant so they are extended to everyone

Old 09-27-2010, 02:12 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBoulder View Post
Free days are no longer restricted to CO residents. The museum received a corporate grant so they are extended to everyone
Ahh.. that's nice. I did not know that.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,035 times
Not terribly crowded at the Denver Art Musuem on free days. More so than on other days, yes, but it's still worth going. They do provide discounted (but not free) parking in their parking garage on the free day as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: