Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,193,938 times

Advertisements

Arvada is a long way from Commerce City. It would be a whale of a commute, every day. I'd go for somewhere closer to CC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,153,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Arvada is a long way from Commerce City. It would be a whale of a commute, every day. I'd go for somewhere closer to CC.
Actually, depending on the area, the commute is quite simple. From Old Arvada, take I-76 about 10 minutes to the heart of Commerce City.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:41 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,193,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Actually, depending on the area, the commute is quite simple. From Old Arvada, take I-76 about 10 minutes to the heart of Commerce City.
On google maps, typing in "Arvada" to "Commerce City" is 19 min. It started at Ralston Rd. and about Wadsworth (east Arvada) and went to roughly 62nd and Colorado Blvd. There's a lot of Arvada west of there and a lot of CC east of there.

So not as long as I thought (I keep forgetting about I-76; it wasn't there when I lived in that neck of the woods), but not a 10 min. drive, either.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 PM

25 posts, read 61,479 times
Quote:
Willy THANKS SO MUCH! That is what I mean in all my post. I want to make sure if we do venture out at night we are ok with driving through town to get home. We are coming up the last week in July. Thanks for being honest. The more I'm researching the more I'm thinking Stapleton isn't for us. I also heard the kids there are opting to go to the Denver Green School because of over crowding.
There is no overcrowding, they broke ground in a new school this year. There are a ton of kids in the K-3 range right now, that of course will shift as the kids age.

The neighborhoods surrounding Stapleton are not bad, in fact some of the nicest areas are to the west of the development in Park Hill. North Park Hill was historically an African American center while south Park Hill was white folks. Gentrification is pretty rampant in the central to north Park Hill areas right now.

You have to remember that until 1995 these areas were close to a very busy airport, of course housing prices were depressed and have now rebounded.

The "nasty" part of East Colfax Willy refers to is surrounded by 400 to million dollar homes 2 blocks off of it, so you must question that assessment, certainly the people in said homes would not agree.

What Stapelton has going for it is open space, proximity to the city and tons of kids. They also require that builders construct the homes to a higher standard in terms of energy efficiency that you will rarely find in new construction elsewhere.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM

6,393 posts, read 11,954,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agerowin View Post
There is no overcrowding, they broke ground in a new school this year. There are a ton of kids in the K-3 range right now, that of course will shift as the kids age.

The neighborhoods surrounding Stapleton are not bad, in fact some of the nicest areas are to the west of the development in Park Hill. North Park Hill was historically an African American center while south Park Hill was white folks. Gentrification is pretty rampant in the central to north Park Hill areas right now.

You have to remember that until 1995 these areas were close to a very busy airport, of course housing prices were depressed and have now rebounded.

The "nasty" part of East Colfax Willy refers to is surrounded by 400 to million dollar homes 2 blocks off of it, so you must question that assessment, certainly the people in said homes would not agree.

What Stapelton has going for it is open space, proximity to the city and tons of kids. They also require that builders construct the homes to a higher standard in terms of energy efficiency that you will rarely find in new construction elsewhere.
I'm just posting what I saw and what anyone driving west down Colfax would see once you get past Fitzsimmons. If someone wants to pay a lot of money to live there its their business, not mine. But it is far from aesthetically pleasing. Stopped on Colfax at the Rico Pollo to eat and got asked for money by a guy I presume was homeless when I walked in and another one when I left. Saw some streetside police activity at a few other spots as well, one on Colfax, one on Quebec just as it turns into four lanes.

Sorry to upset the people who have bought into Stapleton, just posting simple observations from a Friday afternoon drive in the area nearby.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 PM

25 posts, read 61,479 times
You went west on Colfax to Quebec to get to the airport which is east and north? I mean, that doesn't make much sense? I was assuming (ass u me) you were coming from the west to the east from Colorado to Quebec. Apologies for mixing that one up, but your route is strange no?

Yes, Colfax from about Peoria on the east up until about Quebec to the west is "rougher" but really it is no ghetto. Not in the sense of any real city anyhow. You see cops in every neighborhood so I don't think that contributes to any overall assessment of anything. In fact in any city outside of Chicago I am always more or less happy to see the police.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:03 PM

121 posts, read 314,778 times
20 commute even 30 is nothing for him. He drives 45 currently.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 AM

11,860 posts, read 34,571,209 times
45 now is 3 hours in winter weather.

Keep it under twenty for his sanity.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,334,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I'm just posting what I saw and what anyone driving west down Colfax would see once you get past Fitzsimmons. If someone wants to pay a lot of money to live there its their business, not mine. But it is far from aesthetically pleasing. Stopped on Colfax at the Rico Pollo to eat and got asked for money by a guy I presume was homeless when I walked in and another one when I left. Saw some streetside police activity at a few other spots as well, one on Colfax, one on Quebec just as it turns into four lanes.

Sorry to upset the people who have bought into Stapleton, just posting simple observations from a Friday afternoon drive in the area nearby.
I live in Stapleton and drive over to Lowry a lot, and rarely see anything unusual going on around Colfax. I have no problem living close to people who aren't just like me. I find Colfax to be very interesting and like driving down any part of it. I'd rather see all the interesting businesses and people rather than strip malls and Applebees

Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 PM

65 posts, read 213,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I live in Stapleton and drive over to Lowry a lot, and rarely see anything unusual going on around Colfax. I have no problem living close to people who aren't just like me. I find Colfax to be very interesting and like driving down any part of it. I'd rather see all the interesting businesses and people rather than strip malls and Applebees
Agreed. I must live in the "ghetto" because I'm a few blocks off of Colfax in the general area people are talking about. I work in Littleton, and I can't imagine how people would willingly live out there with nothing interesting to do other than go to chain restaurants that you could go to anywhere else in the country.

How's that for the other side of the extremist coin?

As an aside, in the 6 months I've been working down there, I've seen more people smoking weed in Littleton than I have along Colfax or in my neighborhood for the past 2 years. That must make Littleton "ghetto." </sarcasm>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver