Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:38 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've never had a dentist recommend it and I had never heard of it except here on CD. I tried it last night though with coconut oil while I was washing the dishes. It wasn't hard to do. I wonder if some oils are supposed to be better than others (I'm skeptical of all this coconut oil hype but had some on hand because a recipe called for it.)
I just started oil pulling with coconut oil and tea tree oil and I am getting very good results. Whiter teeth, fresh breath and squeaky clean mouth feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:04 PM

74 posts, read 98,717 times
I love oil pulling. It changed my life! I started oil pulling in about September 2014. I use virgin coconut oil and put about 4 drops of pure oregano oil. For about 8 years, whenever I went to the dentist, they would tell me about my pockets, how bad they are, etc.. I started going to a new dentist in December, two months after I started the oil pulling. He never mentioned anything about it. I recommend oil pulling to anyone. Just do it first thing in the morning and swish for 20 min. I do it while doing other things and the time goes by quickly. It can't hurt you at all and it does help.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine809 View Post
I love oil pulling. It changed my life! I started oil pulling in about September 2014. I use virgin coconut oil and put about 4 drops of pure oregano oil. For about 8 years, whenever I went to the dentist, they would tell me about my pockets, how bad they are, etc.. I started going to a new dentist in December, two months after I started the oil pulling. He never mentioned anything about it. I recommend oil pulling to anyone. Just do it first thing in the morning and swish for 20 min. I do it while doing other things and the time goes by quickly. It can't hurt you at all and it does help.
20 minutes!?!?! That's an eternity. How about brushing with toothpaste for 2 minutes? Much longer than most people who only brush the "social 6" in the mirror......

Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 PM

74 posts, read 98,717 times
I'd rather spend 20 minutes swishing oil than 1 minute getting shots in my mouth or my teeth pulled out ANY DAY!

Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I bought one of those bag-less canister vacuums a few years ago, they kind where you can see the dirt and whatnot. My carpets were never cleaner! Not because the vacuum was that much better than my old one but because I liked seeing the dirt and it made me want to vacuum more.

I think oil pulling does the same thing only with your mouth. You pay more attention to something and things usually get better.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:43 AM

264 posts, read 2,143,677 times
I started oil pulling 2 weeks ago with Coconut Oil most days
I also pull with a mix of Sesame, Sunflower, Black Cumin Seed Oil every few days.

I've seen pretty amazing benefits already and will probably not stop doing this. Gum health improved, Teeth improved, and breathing improved which I didn't realize I was having breathing issues.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:12 AM

421 posts, read 328,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I heard about oil pulling a year ago. I tried it recently and I got very good result in the first treatment. My teeth didn't have that film on them ALL day; literally. By the second treatment I noticed my teeth were whiter espeically by the fifth treatment...AMAZING WHITER!! I also notice my sinus drainage has also improved and my ear had a muffled sound for several months possibly to due a mild infection to the tube from the throat to the middle ear; that is gone too!!! So it does clear sinus infection too!!

I made my own oil blend of coconut, grapeseed and olive oil with a touch of peppermint and cinnamon essentail oil added to taste. The nutrient from the oil is absorbed in the mouth and into your body which is an added plus. You must swish around the mouth for 15 to 20 minutes but I started with 8 min and gradually increased. But you still need to brush and floss afterwards.

This technique has been around for over 3000 yrs and no dentist ever told me about it Another product called the Bass toothbrushes and the POH nylon black/white dental floss I also discovered. The brushes has less bristles and arranged in 3 to 4 rows and staggered and has polished tip to prevent abrasion. Fewer bristles mean you can push them between your teeth to remove the bacteria that caused decay. The POH nylon dental floss has multiple fibers that can get between the teeth very easliy and spreads out when you slide it against the teeth. These products been around since the 1960s...again I NEVER had ANY dentist even mentioned none of these products!!! And they are not expensive at all.

If I had these products when I was school age, I would have gotten all those cavities!!!
This is very interesting TY for info

Old 03-22-2015, 03:17 AM

421 posts, read 328,192 times
Quote:
I never had one tell me about it at all. And would you expect them to? They have a tuition to pay for, expensive equipment to pay for and a family to rear...no they would not.

Let do a comparison:

Oil Pulling cost: $14 in oils This included the essential oils that contain thymols (i.e. peppermint, tea tree)
Bass toothbrush $ 1.50 each shipping $6.00
The Nylon floss $8.00 each shipping $6.00
Grand Total of $ 35.50

Dentist Visit: $75
Cleaning: $65
Filling: $100 and up
Whitening: $200
Grand Total of $440 or more And this is the price if you have insurance plan

Hmmmm...I think I'll do the oil pulling and brushing as a preventive... to prevent me from visiting or need for a dentist
It's definately worth a try at least in my opinion

Old 03-22-2015, 05:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
I never had one tell me about it at all. And would you expect them to? They have a tuition to pay for, expensive equipment to pay for and a family to rear...no they would not.

Let do a comparison:

Oil Pulling cost: $14 in oils This included the essential oils that contain thymols (i.e. peppermint, tea tree)
Bass toothbrush $ 1.50 each shipping $6.00
The Nylon floss $8.00 each shipping $6.00
Grand Total of $ 35.50

Dentist Visit: $75
Cleaning: $65
Filling: $100 and up
Whitening: $200
Grand Total of $440 or more And this is the price if you have insurance plan

Hmmmm...I think I'll do the oil pulling and brushing as a preventive... to prevent me from visiting or need for a dentist
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmountain View Post
It's definately worth a try at least in my opinion
Notice though that eyewrist is comparing products with services. You can't compare. Even if you buy all the products and use them at home, you are STILL supposed to get a dental checkup every year. Whitening shouldn't ever be an expected cost of services, because most people don't need it. So remove that cost right off that services list.

Fillings shouldn't be an expected treatment every time you go to the dentist, though it's not uncommon to need a few fillings in the course of an average lifetime. A dental cleaning is partly preventative, and partly diagnostic. In addition to giving you a sparkling clean mouth, it also tips off the dentist to any trouble spots that an x-ray might not catch. If you're lucky, he won't find any at all. If you're not so lucky, he'll find a few - but then you'll get lucky again, because he'll treat them and they won't become a more serious problem down the line.

Oil pulling: 20 minutes per day sluicing a combination of oil and increasing amounts of your own bacteria-filled saliva between your teeth until it emulsifies into a disgusting oily wad, at which point you spit it out.

Bass toothbrush: $1.50, but there's nothing about the brush that a standard non-electric small-bristle Oral B can't do, and the Oral B only costs $1.50 with zero shipping costs, and is available within an hour of your deciding you need it at the local supermarket/bodego/7-11/Walmart.
Nylon floss - if you want to go gourmet, you can get a 6-pack of Desert Essence Tea Tree floss at the Vitamine Shoppe. That'd set you back $3.49 plus tax for 300 yards.

Reach waxed mint-flavored nylon floss will run you around $4.00 for 200 yards at your local Target or Walmart. And again - no shipping costs at all.

But you STILL have to go to the dentist every year for a checkup.

Preventative measures aren't guaranteed to prevent oral disease. They are guaranteed to *reduce the risk* of oral disease. Reducing the risk is meaningless, if you are that one in 500 people who will end up with gum disease even though they do everything they're supposed to do.

Gum disease is COMMON. That's why regular dental checkups is so important. It's common even among people who do oil pulling.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:16 PM

74 posts, read 183,596 times
I did it three times, but for too long (15 min. per) considering I was inexperienced. Should've started out with 5 min., and should've been less aggressive. It really, really hurt my jaw for a while so I didn't go back to it. I was assured it gave me TMD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health