Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:55 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
No. It's the same. Oil isn't better than a toothbrush and toothbrush isn't better than the oil. They both work in relatively the same manner by mechanically removing plaque from the teeth.

I've been avoiding giving my opinion on this topic because quite frankly, as a Dental Hygienist I'd rather see people be interested in taking care of their teeth than not, but doing oil pulling only isn't what I would recommend. I have no issues with oil pulling, I think it's a great *adjunct* to brushing and flossing. There are minimal studies that have examined the benefit and while the studies have concluded that it does remove bacteria plaque, so does toothbrushing and flossing.
The claims that it's "pulling" toxins from the blood and curing random ailments is dubious at best.

However, if people are using this along with brushing and flossing (I'm sorry but flossing is still the gold standard for keeping your gums healthy) and seeing healthier gums and teeth and their dental professionals are happy with the results, then great!

If you have periodontal disease and think oil pulling for 20 minutes a day only is going to save your teeth, then I wish you luck because I just don't see the science bearing that out.
Thanks for the comments on whether oil is better.

As this is something I have not heard about before, this is very interesting to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It removes plaque from the teeth. The bacteria and plaque cling to the oil, after you swish it around for 20 minutes or so (I recommend cold pressed coconut or extra virgin olive oil) you will see that the oil is a milky white, this is all the bacteria and plaque coming out.
Actually, no. It is milky white because the oil has combined with the water/saliva in your mouth and created an emulsion. I agree with the posters who said that 20 minutes of any gargling will have a positive cleaning action. Now if you were advocating gargling with alkaline water! (just kidding/making fun of another "no science behind it, not really harmful fad. Um, how well did you oil pullers do in high school science?)

Old 06-27-2014, 02:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It removes plaque from the teeth. The bacteria and plaque cling to the oil, after you swish it around for 20 minutes or so (I recommend cold pressed coconut or extra virgin olive oil) you will see that the oil is a milky white, this is all the bacteria and plaque coming out. Your mouth will feel super clean afterwards and your teeth will be really smooth.
No, really, this is nonsense. Oil turns milky when it's emulsified. That means when it's mixed with water and a catalyst. Saliva is water + other stuff, including natural bacteria, mucus, and acids, which (combined) act as a catalyst. Try it for yourself. Spit into a glass until there's a few spoonsfull of spit in it. Then add a half teaspoon of ANY kind of liquid oil. Whisk it up with an egg beater and within a minute or so it'll turn cloudy white.

Has nothing to do with plaque and bacteria clinging to oil. I don't know which Dr. Oz episode you saw that on, but it's ridiculous.

Your mouth is FULL of bacteria, nothing can clean it, ever, and nothing SHOULD clean it. Bacteria lives and thrives in your mouth, and this is a good thing.

Plaque is caused by bacteria that colonizes. Colonization occurs when there's nothing to move the bacteria around. People who have problems salivating, or who are mouth-breathers (such as people who snore at night) are more likely to develop gingevitis than people who don't/aren't. People who don't brush their teeth and then spit after brushing, are more likely to develop gingevitis than people who don't. And of course flossing gets the dirt that grows "foreign" bacteria out from between your teeth, which prevents colonization.

Oil pulling doesn't distinguish between the bacteria your body grows naturally as part of its defense system, and the bacteria that grows because you have tonight's french fry stuck between your teeth. You can get that fry out with oil pulling, or with dental floss, or with a waterpick. It doesn't matter what you use. Use simple syrup made out of HFCS and water, and it'll result in the same thing, if you sluice it between your teeth long enough.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Actually, no. It is milky white because the oil has combined with the water/saliva in your mouth and created an emulsion. I agree with the posters who said that 20 minutes of any gargling will have a positive cleaning action. Now if you were advocating gargling with alkaline water! (just kidding/making fun of another "no science behind it, not really harmful fad. Um, how well did you oil pullers do in high school science?)
Heh I was typing mine up when you posted this. My only comment of "disagreement" with yours - it's not gargling that does it. It's sluicing. Gargling is what you do at the back of your throat. Sluicing is what you do between your teeth

Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
I stand corrected, I just figured it was plaque because it's not milky until after about 10 mins of swishing or 'sluicing'.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:31 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,481 times
I too, stand corrected. I gargle AND sluice with vodka and other spirits.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:35 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Well obviously the white milky stuff you end up with isn't plaque but if you can get the same results swishing coconut oil as you can swishing some horrible tasting store bought mouth wash, I'll take the coconut oil.

Most of those mouth washes burn and sting and taste horrible--to me anyway. Also, maybe there is some extra added benefit to the oils that we don't know about.

BTW, toothbrushes may have been invented 60 years ago but humans have always cleaned their teeth--even back when they used twigs from the trees.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 PM

Listerine tastes harsh and burns because it's made of - - wait for it - -

All-natural thymol and menthol, mixed with all-natural grain alcohol.

Thymol is the "active" chemical ingredient of essential oil of thyme. Menthol is the "active" chemical ingredient of essential oil of various mints, from wild mint to spearmint to peppermint and a variety inbetween.

Thymol is a powerful antiseptic. It also has very strong anti-microbial properties, and is an equally strong antioxidant. It also is what causes that burning sensation when it's in your mouth.

"Most" mouthwashes don't burn, because "most" mouthwashes don't contain thymol. Some do. And those will certainly give you a burning sensation, though no actual burning is occurring. If you don't like the taste of mint, then of course you won't like the taste of most mouthwashes, since most of them have mint as a flavoring. Mint also helps "cool" the burning sensation.

Coconut oil has - fat. And that's pretty much it. There's nothing in coconut oil that can disinfect anything, or kill any kind of germs, or loosen plaque. What's loosening plaque when you sluice it is the sluicing. As I said, you could sluice sugar-water and it'd have the same effect.

If you sluice ANYTHING for 20 minutes, you'll find your mouth cleaner than if you hadn't been sluicing for 20 minutes. Save your money and sluice water, if you don't like Listerine (I personally like the taste of the cool mint flavored variety).

Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Listerine tastes harsh and burns because it's made of - - wait for it - -

All-natural thymol and menthol, mixed with all-natural grain alcohol.

Thymol is the "active" chemical ingredient of essential oil of thyme. Menthol is the "active" chemical ingredient of essential oil of various mints, from wild mint to spearmint to peppermint and a variety inbetween.

Thymol is a powerful antiseptic. It also has very strong anti-microbial properties, and is an equally strong antioxidant. It also is what causes that burning sensation when it's in your mouth.

"Most" mouthwashes don't burn, because "most" mouthwashes don't contain thymol. Some do. And those will certainly give you a burning sensation, though no actual burning is occurring. If you don't like the taste of mint, then of course you won't like the taste of most mouthwashes, since most of them have mint as a flavoring. Mint also helps "cool" the burning sensation.

Coconut oil has - fat. And that's pretty much it. There's nothing in coconut oil that can disinfect anything, or kill any kind of germs, or loosen plaque. What's loosening plaque when you sluice it is the sluicing. As I said, you could sluice sugar-water and it'd have the same effect.

If you sluice ANYTHING for 20 minutes, you'll find your mouth cleaner than if you hadn't been sluicing for 20 minutes. Save your money and sluice water, if you don't like Listerine (I personally like the taste of the cool mint flavored variety).
I think we all realize that the burning sensation is not true burning, LOL. I do not enjoy (in fact I hate the burning sensation and that's why I don't use any mouthwash that causes it.) I am allergic to mint and will even get migraines if I'm around any wild mint growing. That doesn't leave much for me to use as mouthwash. As for the idea of swishing sugar water around in your mouth, I don't think so. There may be something to this oil pulling--who knows? Maybe no one.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
False, lauric acid, coconut oil is 50% lauric acid and is the worlds most abundant source of it. It has anti-bacterial properties.

Furthermore, olive oil is a source of phenolic compounds, which is anti-bacterial enough to kill off salmonella.

Mouthwash and toothpaste both dry your mouth tissue, thus becoming a perfect breeding ground for bacterial growth and infection.

Oils moisturize and protect the tissue, they do not dry the tissue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health