Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

Have you undergone conscious sedation by IV?
Anything about it, that would cause you to desire full sedation next time?

Thanks.

"Conscious sedation is a combination of medicines to help you relax (a sedative) and to block pain (an anesthetic) during a medical or dental procedure. You will probably stay awake but may not be able to speak."

I guess "may not be able to speak" also prevents "yelling due to pain."
I guess it requires "hand signals," if the pain killer fails.

Last edited by howard555; 08-21-2012 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Have you undergone conscious sedation by IV?
Anything about it, that would cause you to desire full sedation next time?

Thanks.

"Conscious sedation is a combination of medicines to help you relax (a sedative) and to block pain (an anesthetic) during a medical or dental procedure. You will probably stay awake but may not be able to speak."

I guess "may not be able to speak" also prevents "yelling due to pain."
I guess it requires "hand signals," if the pain killer fails.
I have no idea where you got that quote since you didn't cite your source.

But, conscious sedation during dental procedures typically involves *hard core* hypnotics that make you complacent, but unaware of pretty much anything at all. You'll likely flit in and out of actual sleep (not losing consciousness - I mean real actual sleep), sort of like how a person usually is a few minutes before they wake up in the morning. Like, you know you're awake, but nothing is clicking yet because your dream hasn't quite ended, and you're not aware of your body yet either.

The novocaine and other anasthesia will last longer than the sedative, so you'll have no problem with that. Also, the sedation will likely have an amnesiac in it as well, so you won't remember anything, even if you do happen to flit into wakefulness during the procedure. It's sort of like being *incredibly* falling down losing touch with reality drunk. You're awake, but useless, and unaware of anything remotely reality-based. If someone tells you to touch your nose, you will try to do that. And you might end up touching your elbow by mistake. If they tell you to open your mouth, you will, if they say wider, you'll open it wider. And within seconds, you will have forgotten that you were asked to do it, and you won't be aware of the fact that your mouth is now wide open. And - two hours later, you'll forget that you were even in the procedure room. You'll know it's all done, because you'll have cotton balls shoved between your gum and your cheek, and you can't wrinkle your nose because the novocaine hasn't worn off yet

Conscious sedation is *much* easier for the body to handle than full general anasthesia. I had twilight (same thing) for my knee surgery and I watched the whole thing on the monitor. I specifically asked them -not- to put in the amnesiac, because I wanted to remember watching it. It was totally cool, but I'm sure if I wasn't so loopy during it, I would've been horrified I'm glad I didn't get general though. I would've missed an incredible experience. Plus, recovery from twilight was *so* much easier than the generals I've experienced. No uncontrollable shivering and dry-mouth frothing and full body aches.

Edited to include: I also did get conscious sedation during a dental procedure (bone grafting for an implant). I've posted about it before. It was Halcyon, a very potent hypnotic painkiller, once very popular among the "date rape" crowd; that was the date-rape drug. It's mostly prescribed for very short-term sleeping problems (like, when someone experiences serious trauma and can't sleep and just needs a few day's worth), and off-label it's used for conscious sedation. I sang at some point, for the dentist, and gave a breathe-right strip as a present to the hygeinist, and demanded that my husband accompany me to the bathroom when I had to pee and they wouldn't let me walk by myself (I wouldn't staggered). I had a great time. I just don't remember any of it!

Last edited by AnonChick; 08-21-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 05:46 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Conscious sedation for surgical procedures: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

I'm having the left side done one day and go back a few days, or weeks later, for the right side. The doctor said each visit will be about an hour. That above article, which may or may not be factual, makes it sound like the "inability to feel pain" won't arrive for 30-40 minutes. That only leaves 20-30 minutes for the removal of tori, and I have as much as 2 different dentists said they had ever seen in their careers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've had colonoscopies, and given an unknown "IV sedation"
I never remembered anything, including putting on my clothes to leave.
That might have been "conscious sedation too," not sure.
The last colonoscopy, I had no sedation at all and the pain was close to unbearable.
But, dental work with no sedation has to be more painful, than a colonoscopy with no sedation.
I'll never go that route again. I was backed into a corner and had to accept it.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Dental work with no sedation -still- involves anasthesia. Sedation is not the same thing as anasthesia. Anasthesia means painkilling. Sedation means calming you down. Novacaine is an anasthesia. Valium is a sedative.

Here's how it usually happens:

You're in the dentist's reception area, finished filling out whatever forms or paying or whatever else, waiting for your turn. The hygeinist comes out with a two paper cups: one has water in it, one has a few pills in it. You take the pills and wash them down with the water. You sit there for around 10-15 minutes, and then they see that you're looking drunk and they lead you into the procedure room.

That's when they give you all the novocaine shots and check your pulse and ask you to count how many fingers they have up. Around 5 minutes later, they start the procedure, which will probably involve a dam (a rubber and metal gizmo that isolates the tooth they need to work on, that makes you look like The Joker from Batman) or some other ridiculous-looking contraption. You won't care, because you'll be feeling no pain (literally and figuratively).

Around two hours later, you will suddenly realize you're sitting in the reception area, and whoever is driving you home is sitting there next to you, and you'll be vaguely aware that you had actually left that seat, and gone into the procedure room, but you won't be sure how you got back out again. You'll be groggy, and your mouth will be sore from holding it open, but you won't remember you were holding it open either. You'll be aware of the fact that you've been drugged, and you'll feel drugged, and you'll be cognizant of that feeling and be able to express it. Your mouth will be numb, and you'll be aware of that as well. Around 20 minutes after this, you'll -start- to get some of the feeling back in your mouth. An hour after that point, you'll be able to crinkle your nose again, and you'll have the aching throbbing soreness that you should expect after a dental procedure. Usually a tylenol is enough to handle that. It's not overwhelming.

You -will- need someone to drive you home. There's no doubt, you will -not- be in any condition to drive for several hours.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 52,869 times
Default conscious IV sedation can be a nightmare

My daughter was having four wisdom teeth removed and was scheduled to have Twilight to help her with the procedure. They administered the medication consisting of versed, fentanyl, decadron and propofol. They started the procedure and she begged them to stop because she could feel everything they were doing. The Dr. Told her to relax and stop fighting the medication and continued extracting her wisdom teeth. Thru out the entire procedure she begged them to stop and the Dr. Ignored her requests and continued until all four teeth were out. I went in to see her thinking it went well and I couldn't believe the condition I found her in. She was holding her mouth with a cloth full of blood crying hysterically and saying he wouldn't stop he wouldn't stop. I felt everything. I found the Dr. And asked him " what did you do to my daughter"? He told me that she was ok but she fought the medication the whole time and wouldn't let it work. I asked him why didn't you stop when she kept begging you to? He said she was fine and he felt it was ok to continue. She wasn't in that much discomfort. I said "look at her. Does she look ok to you? He went into another room and shut the door. The nurses said they would wheel her to the car. It was a common practice because the patients are still under the effects of the medicine when they are leaving to go home and require help getting to their car. My daughter was far from needing help to walk. If fact she practically ran out of there wanting to get as far away as possible. She was crying uncontrollably, bleeding profusely, and obviously traumatized from this experience. I was scared to death and couldn't help her. I rushed her to the ER for help. The ER doctors could not believe that the dentist would not stop to re-evaluate the situation. After 4 hours in the ER, A SHOT OF TORADOL (WHICH DIDN'T HELP THE PAIN), Valium to get her stress under control and her blood pressure down which also helped with the excessive bleeding, and A SHOT OF DEMERAL FINALLY got her STABLE ENOUGH TO TAKE HOME. What a horrible experience to go thru. What I wish I would have done and I strongly advise parents to do is insist on being in the room when your child is having any procedure done. I was told I could not be in the room with her and I will never allow that to happen again. I hope I can save at least one child from having to go thru the trauma that my poor daughter had to endure and one parent from having to watch their child suffer so needlessly.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:17 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I have no idea where you got that quote since you didn't cite your source.

But, conscious sedation during dental procedures typically involves *hard core* hypnotics that make you complacent, but unaware of pretty much anything at all. You'll likely flit in and out of actual sleep (not losing consciousness - I mean real actual sleep), sort of like how a person usually is a few minutes before they wake up in the morning. Like, you know you're awake, but nothing is clicking yet because your dream hasn't quite ended, and you're not aware of your body yet either.

The novocaine and other anasthesia will last longer than the sedative, so you'll have no problem with that. Also, the sedation will likely have an amnesiac in it as well, so you won't remember anything, even if you do happen to flit into wakefulness during the procedure. It's sort of like being *incredibly* falling down losing touch with reality drunk. You're awake, but useless, and unaware of anything remotely reality-based. If someone tells you to touch your nose, you will try to do that. And you might end up touching your elbow by mistake. If they tell you to open your mouth, you will, if they say wider, you'll open it wider. And within seconds, you will have forgotten that you were asked to do it, and you won't be aware of the fact that your mouth is now wide open. And - two hours later, you'll forget that you were even in the procedure room. You'll know it's all done, because you'll have cotton balls shoved between your gum and your cheek, and you can't wrinkle your nose because the novocaine hasn't worn off yet

Conscious sedation is *much* easier for the body to handle than full general anasthesia. I had twilight (same thing) for my knee surgery and I watched the whole thing on the monitor. I specifically asked them -not- to put in the amnesiac, because I wanted to remember watching it. It was totally cool, but I'm sure if I wasn't so loopy during it, I would've been horrified I'm glad I didn't get general though. I would've missed an incredible experience. Plus, recovery from twilight was *so* much easier than the generals I've experienced. No uncontrollable shivering and dry-mouth frothing and full body aches.

Edited to include: I also did get conscious sedation during a dental procedure (bone grafting for an implant). I've posted about it before. It was Halcyon, a very potent hypnotic painkiller, once very popular among the "date rape" crowd; that was the date-rape drug. It's mostly prescribed for very short-term sleeping problems (like, when someone experiences serious trauma and can't sleep and just needs a few day's worth), and off-label it's used for conscious sedation. I sang at some point, for the dentist, and gave a breathe-right strip as a present to the hygeinist, and demanded that my husband accompany me to the bathroom when I had to pee and they wouldn't let me walk by myself (I wouldn't staggered). I had a great time. I just don't remember any of it!
An excellent post!

I love nitrous. Makes me feel like I'm floating above the chair.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:50 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,541 times
I am having three wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow. Am I going to regret going the Novacain/laughing gas-only route?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 25,453 times
Im having 5 teeth pulled tomorrow and am doing iv sedation any advice would be greatly appeeciated cause i am scared that im going to feel everything i hate hearing the sound of teeth breaking off thank you

Old 05-18-2016, 05:23 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
Scaredmama

I had IV sedation for implants and it was wonderful. I think previous post were about "conscious" sedation which I've never heard of for oral surgery. I've asked other MD's (not oral dentists) for IV sedation when having in-office surgery and they are "no, you can't have that" and I think crap, unfair.

Many doctors are leery of anesthesia due to malpractice as well as if it's overused with older people there can be memory loss. But no way could I go through dental surgery without it. Wish hypnotism could be 100% reliable, that would be an alternative.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Every time I've had IV sedation I have not remembered the procedure at all, and my memories start some time after I'm out of the procedure room, sometimes even only in the car on the way home! Apparently one of the drugs gives you amnesia, so even if you're 'conscious' and able to breathe and follow directions and stuff, you aren't really all there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health