Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,738 times

Advertisements

I got a dental implant put in, he used an IV sedation, he said it was going to be Versed. I don't remember going under, then later I heard them talking as I was coming out of it. Was I conscious but don't remember or was I out? (Procedure went well, no pain)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:33 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,854,984 times
I imagine that you were out.
Although isn't there an "in between" state?
I had some intense oral surgery 2 summers ago and i was given ativan. (i think it was ativan)
I took it the morning of the surgery and i could not (cannot) remember anything from that entire day even though i was functioning, ie; awake throughout the day with the exception of while in surgery.
During surgery i was also given nitrous oxide.
So i had an "amnesiac reaction" i guess which i found really bizarre.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
You were probably asleep for most, and roused in and out of wakefulness for moments here and there. Versed is primarily an amnesia drug, that is often part of an IV cocktail for "twilight" anasthesia (deep sedation).

Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM

The time before when I had dental work done they gave me what she called "sleepy juice".
I can remember it overtaking me as I closed my eyes, then woke later. This time it was confusing
to me, I don't remember relaxing or going under. I am not complaining that it didn't work, it
just felt different.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM

That's what versed does. It totally obliterates your immediate short-term memory. With my implant, I had a "precriptive overdose" of halcion. It's what some dentists have patients take as a sedation choice before implant surgery. Halcion is a very potent and potentially dangerous sleeping pill. Taking 4 of them is enough to make you forget everything that happened within a few hour period, and even not be attentive -if- you manage to wake up during that period and experience whatever's going on. It's one of those very infamous date-rape drugs.

It is -also- an excellent choice for surgery sedation for people who can't or choose not to have IV sedation, because it is short-lived; only a few hours.

But yeah amnesia isn't quite the same as "forgetting" something. It's pretty strange. Like you said, not complaining, just strange. But apparently I had a great time. I just wish I could remember that part!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That's what versed does. It totally obliterates your immediate short-term memory. With my implant, I had a "precriptive overdose" of halcion. It's what some dentists have patients take as a sedation choice before implant surgery. Halcion is a very potent and potentially dangerous sleeping pill. Taking 4 of them is enough to make you forget everything that happened within a few hour period, and even not be attentive -if- you manage to wake up during that period and experience whatever's going on. It's one of those very infamous date-rape drugs.

It is -also- an excellent choice for surgery sedation for people who can't or choose not to have IV sedation, because it is short-lived; only a few hours.

But yeah amnesia isn't quite the same as "forgetting" something. It's pretty strange. Like you said, not complaining, just strange. But apparently I had a great time. I just wish I could remember that part!
Husband said I argued with Dr and nurse that I wasn't really under, and then gave him a hug upon leaving. Strange stuff ...but I was
happy the rest of the day....

Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
You may well have been awake for a good portion of the surgery ~ you just can't remember any of it now.

Fun stuff, eh?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,441,681 times
I had versed when I got a tooth extraction yesterday. I remember hearing a cracking sound and hearing the doctor talk a few times. Other then that it was like I was asleep. No pain involved at all, until they pulled all the tape off my arm while removing the catheter....that I remember feeling.

I am hoping to have versed or some other type of IV sedation for my implant when I get it done too.

Is there any downside to having IV sedation for a longer procedure, such as an implant?? I have only ever had it with tooth extractions which were quick procedures.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:30 PM

I've never heard of using IV sedation for extractions other than multiple wisdom tooth extractions. Seems a waste of a needle to me. The longer procedure will mean more drugs in the tube, dripping over a longer period of time. It'll wear off shortly after they pull the tube out, but you might not remember even being in the prodecure room at all.

You -might- also possibly feel some nausea, but it doesn't last long and they can accommodate that with short-term meds designed specifically for the purpose.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:17 PM

Went in a week after the implant surgery, (first surgery ended up they had to add material to
harden for 4 months because I had bone loss) and I asked him why I felt different the second
time I was sedated...he said they didn't used as much as the first time...a combination of versed,
fentanyl, propofol and something else....thank goodness today's Drs. are willing to explain things to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health