Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,096 times

Advertisements

That dentist is just trying to make money off of you by doing a root canal on a wisdom tooth.. Absolutely ridiculous that he would even suggest that. Root canals are VERY expensive not to mention the "post and core and crown you will need after" they will say. Save your money and look for another dentist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
I just had a root canal on my back bottom wisdom tooth. I actually need the tooth on that side as the other side is not good for eating for me. the root canal hurt like beyone comprehension, and im tough, and u it hurt. It feels better now, but im still not sire what else will be done as i had it done yesterday. If i tap the wisdom tooth, it kinda hurst and i would think it woyuldnt becuase of remeoving the nerves.
I though it would be better to have the root canal as opposed to having my gums cut and stitched.
so we shall see in the next two weeks when i go back to him.

This was not fun, he needed to put novaciane directlyy into the roots. i saw stars, make that the whole constellation.
I can really handel pain and discomfort as a middle age man, but this was serious pain, like I have never endurled on my life. I have had other root canals, dont remember any pain, also the wisdom tooth was infected for some reson and am not on ammoycilln.

I am not doint the post and crown thing, oh no, not for a wisdom tooth. i will just leave the toothe there till it breaks apart and falls out on its own. Im hoping since there is no roots it will be fine.....

kill me now

Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I just had a root canal on my back bottom wisdom tooth. I actually need the tooth on that side as the other side is not good for eating for me. the root canal hurt like beyone comprehension, and im tough, and u it hurt. It feels better now, but im still not sire what else will be done as i had it done yesterday. If i tap the wisdom tooth, it kinda hurst and i would think it woyuldnt becuase of remeoving the nerves.
I though it would be better to have the root canal as opposed to having my gums cut and stitched.
so we shall see in the next two weeks when i go back to him.

This was not fun, he needed to put novaciane directlyy into the roots. i saw stars, make that the whole constellation.
I can really handel pain and discomfort as a middle age man, but this was serious pain, like I have never endurled on my life. I have had other root canals, dont remember any pain, also the wisdom tooth was infected for some reson and am not on ammoycilln.

I am not doint the post and crown thing, oh no, not for a wisdom tooth. i will just leave the toothe there till it breaks apart and falls out on its own. Im hoping since there is no roots it will be fine.....

kill me now
If there's an infection you need antibiotics. It's not something you can decide to take, or decide not to take. An infection in the mouth is not something to just dismiss, it can lead to serious permanent damage in your mouth, face, and sinuses. This is -probably- why it hurt so much. Abscesses are incredibly painful, and getting a needle injected into an abscess is excruciating.

Frankly I'm surprised the dentist didn't insist that you take antibiotics, before getting the root canal done. In addition, I'm not sure why you needed the wisdom tooth operated on at all. If the other side of your mouth is "not good" for you to chew on, then you already know you have a history of dental problems. You need to address that; if it's genetic, you need to be even more careful with brushing, flossing, minimal alcohol and sugar consumption, rinsing your mouth with antiseptic rinse every couple of days, and so forth. Although you technically don't need teeth at all, for any medical purpose, it makes eating a lot easier when you have teeth that are actually attached to your mouth rather than no teeth, or moveable dentures.

Not sure why you would get work done on your wisdom tooth with the attitude that you'll just leave it there til it falls apart. You should've just let it fall apart and saved yourself the trouble and expense of the root canal. But you still should get antibiotics.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Quote:
.....I am not doint the post and crown thing, oh no, not for a wisdom tooth. i will just leave the toothe there till it breaks apart and falls out on its own. Im hoping since there is no roots it will be fine.....
What makes you think there are no roots?? What is holding the tooth in place?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If there's an infection you need antibiotics. It's not something you can decide to take, or decide not to take. An infection in the mouth is not something to just dismiss, it can lead to serious permanent damage in your mouth, face, and sinuses. This is -probably- why it hurt so much. Abscesses are incredibly painful, and getting a needle injected into an abscess is excruciating.

Frankly I'm surprised the dentist didn't insist that you take antibiotics, before getting the root canal done. In addition, I'm not sure why you needed the wisdom tooth operated on at all. If the other side of your mouth is "not good" for you to chew on, then you already know you have a history of dental problems. You need to address that; if it's genetic, you need to be even more careful with brushing, flossing, minimal alcohol and sugar consumption, rinsing your mouth with antiseptic rinse every couple of days, and so forth. Although you technically don't need teeth at all, for any medical purpose, it makes eating a lot easier when you have teeth that are actually attached to your mouth rather than no teeth, or moveable dentures.

Not sure why you would get work done on your wisdom tooth with the attitude that you'll just leave it there til it falls apart. You should've just let it fall apart and saved yourself the trouble and expense of the root canal. But you still should get antibiotics.

He did give me antibiotics, amoxycillin (sp).

I thought to get the root canal because it was painful, as opposed to having the tooth extracted, and stitched. I had thought it was the molar in front as part had cracked, i thought he would fill it, but the xray showed the wisdom tooth was infected. This was a complete blow on a Sunday morning at 8am, I was not expecting that.

it doesnt hurt anymore, but my jaw does, as the distress from being opened wide and all.
I know not to get a crown and post for a wisdom tooth, he might have me have it one in front of that. I have to go back in 2 weeks so I will see what he says and recommends.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
What makes you think there are no roots?? What is holding the tooth in place?
thats actually a good statement, I dont have an answer for that, i dont know.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 AM

129 posts, read 304,066 times
you could just sue your dentist since he caused you discomfort.
everyone else has.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
I agree you should sue because the roots are still there.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Quote:
He did give me antibiotics, amoxycillin (sp).

I thought to get the root canal because it was painful, as opposed to having the tooth extracted, and stitched. I had thought it was the molar in front as part had cracked, i thought he would fill it, but the xray showed the wisdom tooth was infected. This was a complete blow on a Sunday morning at 8am, I was not expecting that.

it doesnt hurt anymore, but my jaw does, as the distress from being opened wide and all.
I know not to get a crown and post for a wisdom tooth, he might have me have it one in front of that. I have to go back in 2 weeks so I will see what he says and recommends.
Bolded part: Either you're on them or you're not. Or are you saying he gave you meds and you chose not to take them? Either way - you need to take them. From start to finish, even if you feel better 2 days before the meds are gone.

The rest: What I'm reading: You thought the problem was with one tooth. It turned out to be a wisdom tooth instead. This leads me to say the exact same thing I said before, but I'll use different words:

If there's something wrong with a wisdom tooth, then your best option is to extract it. If the doctor was able to do a root canal on it, then he was able to extract it. Plus, since you said you had an abscess, I don't know why he did either of the two things. He should've put you on antibiotics, and waited a few days, and THEN done an extraction once the infection calmed down.

Of course, it all depends on what kind of dentist you went to, and whether or not you signed a waiver. If you demanded something he advised against, well - woops, your bad. If he recommended a root canal on a badly infected wisdom tooth and -then- put you on antibiotics, you should talk to a lawyer.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Bolded part: Either you're on them or you're not. Or are you saying he gave you meds and you chose not to take them? Either way - you need to take them. From start to finish, even if you feel better 2 days before the meds are gone.

The rest: What I'm reading: You thought the problem was with one tooth. It turned out to be a wisdom tooth instead. This leads me to say the exact same thing I said before, but I'll use different words:

If there's something wrong with a wisdom tooth, then your best option is to extract it. If the doctor was able to do a root canal on it, then he was able to extract it. Plus, since you said you had an abscess, I don't know why he did either of the two things. He should've put you on antibiotics, and waited a few days, and THEN done an extraction once the infection calmed down.

Of course, it all depends on what kind of dentist you went to, and whether or not you signed a waiver. If you demanded something he advised against, well - woops, your bad. If he recommended a root canal on a badly infected wisdom tooth and -then- put you on antibiotics, you should talk to a lawyer.

I'm sorry, I didn't edit. YES, I am on the amoxyclliam, oh absolutely, I will finish the whole script. It is for 3 times a day 10 days.

My mouth and jaw are starting to feel much better.

I realize now I should not have done the root canal on a wisdom tooth, it was because of the pain that is why I made my decision, and was completely caught off guard for this.

I never had any indication of an abcess by looking into my mouth all I saw was the cracked tooth n front, which looked like a filling had come out, thats why I had never though of the wisdom tooth.

The dentist wrote a script to go to the oral surgeon to extract it and said possibly a root canal, I left and then walked halfway home (2 blocks away I live) and then went back and said OK, do the root canal, so it was my doing, not the dentist.

Now there is a temp filling in the wiz tooth, I know not to get a post and crown, I do think, yes, it is going to have to come out. Ugh !!. When I deceide to do this, which i have no head for at this point in time, I want to be knocked out, and I mean hit over the head with a sledge hammer.

the pain of what i went thru was beyond comprehension.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health