Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM

133 posts, read 379,043 times

Advertisements

Would someone please comment on Georgetown, DE? How are the people? The culture? Local organic farming?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,250,048 times
Georgetown is the county seat of Sussex County. The surrounding area is mostly rural with lot of agriculture supporting the poultry industry. The people are quite laid back and mostly friendly. The town of Georgetown itself has a lot of workers living there which work in the chicken processing plants and is little rougher.
Your could certainly garden organically but it is not a big thing in the area.
There are 2 elementary schools and 1 middle school in Georgetown. Sussex Central H.S. has a Georgetown address but is really not in town (nice newer school).
You could be in the heart of the beach area within a 1/2 hour drive from the circle in Georgetown.
Be glad to answer any specific questions.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 AM

178 posts, read 337,473 times
I grew up in Georgetown, DE but haven't been back in a decade. It's a rather unremarkable place. It's close to the beach, so if you like that it's a plus. Poultry farming does sum it up pretty well though.

I went to middle school in Millsboro, ten miles down the road. And there was only one elementary school that I knew of, it's the same building as the high school, strangely enough.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 AM

4,726 posts, read 12,059,401 times
Georgetown is fairly unimpressive IMO. The courthouse and state court complex (Court of Chancery, etc) is kind of atmospheric, but the rest of the town lacks the charm of places like Milton or Lewes. Georgetown to me looks a little down at the heels. Unlike Milton, which could still use a lot of restoration, Georgetown doesn't seem to have much that is old and noteworthy. ISTM that other towns in Sussex County are showing more signs of life.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runewell View Post

I went to middle school in Millsboro, ten miles down the road. And there was only one elementary school that I knew of, it's the same building as the high school, strangely enough.
After they built the new high school they moved middle school to The old high school building in Georgetown and spent a couple of years remodeling the old middle school. Now there are 2 Middle schools (Millsboro and Georgetown )feeding into Sussex Central H.S. Georgetown Elementary still shares the building with the now Middle School and there is Georgetown Elementary East.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM

178 posts, read 337,473 times
I think I remember seeing the add-on to the school when I came back from my first year of college = 1990. But I wouldn't have talked to anyone about exactly what it was all about.

Everything changes...

Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runewell View Post
I think I remember seeing the add-on to the school when I came back from my first year of college = 1990. But I wouldn't have talked to anyone about exactly what it was all about.

Everything changes...
There have been a lot of changes since then. The remodeled middle school just opened in Millsboro 2 years ago . The high school is out by Stockley. Not trying to be a know it all. I just happen to have a 10th grader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware