Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM

44 posts, read 172,887 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

How are you all doing? I hope all is well.

I have been recently offered a position at Delaware State University and will be most likely moving there with my family in August. I have done some research on this message board and already found lots of useful information, but still have a couple of quick questions. Any feedback will be highly appreciated!

First and foremost, how are interracial couples perceived in the Dover area and Delaware in general? I am white (European), my wife is black (born and raised in Atlanta), and our daughter, of course, is mixed. This is a very big concern of ours, so if you have any input and/or personal experiences, please share them.

Secondly, we are planning on renting a house for the first year or two, until we settle on a neighborhood we would like to stay in "for good." Any recommendations as to nice areas we could find affordable (up to $1200) rental properties in? Any specific areas we should avoid (especially due to crime)?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and answers!

Best,
rork
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Anyone? Please...

Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
I'm from farther south then Dover but we do play them in sports. I would be surprised if many people even give your racially mixed couple a second look.There will always be somebody of course.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:15 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
I doubt there would be much of an issue with it. You might run into some stray bigot here or there, but I suspect it would be a rare enounter and most people won't have any attitude.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:07 PM

445 posts, read 1,435,900 times
You won't have an issue in Dover; same with Smyrna or Middletown if you chose a smaller community. All three school districts are likely in the 15%-20% African American range, as is the general population. Plus Dover has the Air Force base that provides a lot of racial and geographical diversity. Statewide minorities account for 1/3 of the population.

I can't specifically address your rental/neighborhood question in Dover; but if you choose to live in Smyrna or Middletown e-mail me if you like and I'll happily answer whatever questions you may have.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 AM

Thank you longnecker, doctorjeff, and jdoll! I really appreciate your help!

I'm glad to hear that this shouldn't be an issue in Delaware. I was hoping to hear that, but you never know. It always amazes me how many backwards people there still are around in this day and age...

jdoll: Obviously, we still haven't decided where we'll be staying for the time being. We'll probably fly up to DE sometime in July to find a place to live. I've heard good things about Smyrna and it's definitely on our radar. Middletown may be a little too far, though. I will let you know if I have any specific questions.

We're very excited about our move. Delware sounds like a great place to be.

Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:52 AM

445 posts, read 1,435,900 times
Good luck rork and hope your visit goes well. We use BWI to fly into and out of. PHL is closer by about 50 minutes, but the delays there kill any savings on drive times. BWI is a very well run airport and Air Trans is likely dirt cheap from ATL. Also learn about Route 301 to the Baltimore/DC area. It is longer in miles but a real time saver to the jams on I-95.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,454 times
Hi Rork,
To address your interracial question, I'm a black female married to a white male and we have 3 kids. We lived in New Castle county for 11 years and we'll be moving to Smyrna next month. We haven't had any problems as a multiracial family in DE. One of the best things about DE is its racial diversity. Your kids will be in school with kids of all different backgrounds, most likely. It's probably more diverse in NCC, but many people have moved down to Kent, so it's starting to look the same.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:38 AM

jdoll: Thank you again for your replies and advice on airports. When I visited Dover the last time, I actually flew in to Philadelphia, but flew out of Baltimore, so I had a chance to see both routes and both airports. I didn't realize that the congestion up north could be that bad. My driver took some back roads there, so I guess we missed all the craziness. Thanks for the hint, though. I will definitely keep that in mind. Especially since BWI is not that much farther from Dover than PHL is.

SmalltownBigGirl: Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate feedback from someone in a very similar situation. As I mentioned earlier, Smyrna is one of the places we're considering, so perhaps we'll meet there.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rork View Post
jdoll: Thank you again for your replies and advice on airports. When I visited Dover the last time, I actually flew in to Philadelphia, but flew out of Baltimore, so I had a chance to see both routes and both airports. I didn't realize that the congestion up north could be that bad. My driver took some back roads there, so I guess we missed all the craziness. Thanks for the hint, though. I will definitely keep that in mind. Especially since BWI is not that much farther from Dover than PHL is.
The problem with PHL is not the roads to it. It is PHL itself. Just too much going on.7AM flights we leave the gate on time and sit on the tarmac for at least 1/2 hour .I'm sure it gets worsr later in the day as planes back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware