Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 PM

293 posts, read 591,562 times

Advertisements

Was in Camden/Wyoming,Thursday,had a great time again,Visited Barclay,always nice there and the people so nice.Had Lunch at Halls in Wyoming,my Fav place to eat there.Checked out all the back roads again,thanks to a few on here who went out of there way to help me with the RT 13-113 ,and all the names of all the roads with 3 names or more,so the trip went nicer.Thanks Camden,and Delaware for a great trip again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 12:12 AM

9,743 posts, read 14,304,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJVillasOutsider View Post
Was in Camden/Wyoming,Thursday,had a great time again,Visited Barclay,always nice there and the people so nice.Had Lunch at Halls in Wyoming,my Fav place to eat there.Checked out all the back roads again,thanks to a few on here who went out of there way to help me with the RT 13-113 ,and all the names of all the roads with 3 names or more,so the trip went nicer.Thanks Camden,and Delaware for a great trip again.
Camden and Wyoming are both unique places, each a separate town, with a separate government, separate police department, but with one post office, one fire company, and one zip code. That's the reason there's so much confusion regarding there being no such place as Camden-Wyoming, Delaware, but there is a Camden-Wyoming Avenue. Locals are quick to point that out.

Speaking of Barclay Farms, Camden's new mayor and council person were just elected, and each is from Barclay Farms. BF gave the "55+ active community" description a whole different spin. Generally speaking, BF residents are more active than some 40 yr. olds I know and contribute much to both towns. I know lots of talented and giving people in there. Regarding Halls, they have had the same specials each day for 45-50 years. Always chicken 'n dumplins on Wednesday, always fish on Fridays, etc. In the 60's it was Anthony's Restaurant, then it was JW's, last few years, Halls. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Old 04-18-2010, 02:54 PM

293 posts, read 591,562 times
Default camden Delaware

Thanks again for the new information,you always give me such great information,about the area I want to retire in.That is Camden,Barclay Farms.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJVillasOutsider View Post
Thanks again for the new information,you always give me such great information,about the area I want to retire in.That is Camden,Barclay Farms.
You're welcome! As the time gets closer, just DM me and I'll clue you in on the newcomers local activities some of us plan. Camden and Wyoming are both very welcoming communities!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 PM

103 posts, read 361,366 times
Default New home

We are looking to relocate on May 23rd since our house settles that day. We are on a hunt to find our perfect home and I've come across Camden. From a far the town seems apppealing, what is life like living there? Please, any help is appreciated. I want to make sure I don't live downwind of any type of farm. Is this ever a problem for anyone?

Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgerlach1 View Post
We are looking to relocate on May 23rd since our house settles that day. We are on a hunt to find our perfect home and I've come across Camden. From a far the town seems apppealing, what is life like living there? Please, any help is appreciated. I want to make sure I don't live downwind of any type of farm. Is this ever a problem for anyone?
Nah, this area is not for you.

I bike to the closest farm, which is Fifer's, and it's a very short distance from Camden & Wyoming. There are peach and apple orchards, fresh wild flowers, a market with fresh produce, and in the Fall they have wagon rides through the pumpkin patches and also through the apple orchards to pick your own from the trees. In August, they have a peach festival with free homemade ice cream for their customers, and we go there to pick our own fresh strawberries in June. Amish people ride their buggies through both towns, on their way to shop, and their horses may leave a souvenir or two on the street.

So, you would hate this place, which is downwind from more than one farm.

Last edited by rdlr; 03-24-2011 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: spell check

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,360,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Nah, this area is not for you.

I bike to the closest farm, which is Fifer's, and it's a very short distance from Camden & Wyoming. There are peach and apple orchards, fresh wild flowers, a market with fresh produce, and in the Fall they have wagon rides through the pumpkin patches and also through the apple orchards to pick your own from the trees. In August, they have a peach festival with free homemade ice cream for their customers, and we go there to pick our own fresh strawberries in June. Amish people ride their buggies through both towns, on their way to shop, and their horses may leave a souvenir or two on the street.

So, you would hate this place, which is downwind from more than one farm.

To me, this sounds absolutely perfect. Love a farm and everything it offers... even the smells!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
To me, this sounds absolutely perfect. Love a farm and everything it offers... even the smells!
Yes And, it's perfect for me also, and a lot of others. But anyone not wanting a farm nearby should move to the city, somewhere. 40% of Delaware's land content is agricultural, and we have farms near every community and town. The exception in Delaware would be the City of Wilmington, an urban area with no farms close by.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,998,244 times
Even up here you smell the mushroom farms around Kennett Square and Avondale from time to time. Quite funky. However, I don't mind agricultural smells, seeing as how I spent plenty of time on my grandparents' ranch in Texas throughout my childhood and adolescence, as well as driving around the stockyards area of Fort Worth's North Side, and living in Lubbock during high school. I thought the only area in DE with a really bad smell reputation was the area around the large chicken production operations of southern Sussex Co.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I thought the only area in DE with a really bad smell reputation was the area around the large chicken production operations of southern Sussex Co.
West of Dover, and a little southwest of Dover can get pretty bad at various times of the year. In addition to chicken farms, sludge (actually called liquid manure) trucked in from elsewhere is spread on lots of open farm land. I was told the farmers get it free which helps their crops, and the "givers" are glad to get rid of it. In my opinion, that stuff is much more rank than the smells of cleaning out manure from the broiler houses, which are in both Kent and Sussex Counties. I learned a lot about the broiler operations, as I lived and worked on our chicken farm in Kent County. The broiler houses are cleaned out between flocks, which is why the odors are not constant.The farmers have contracts with various chicken processing plants, thus the cleaning of houses between those coming and going.

Last edited by rdlr; 03-24-2011 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Spell Check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: