Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,224 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've been lurking on these forums for awhile, but felt like you guys might be able to provide me some insight. I've searched here and on other sites that give apartment ratings and such and it's very frustrating, as most apartments I come across have less than a 50% approval rating, if one at all. Either all Newark apartments are terrible, or people set the bar too high.

Either way, I'm looking to move out of my own current apartment complex into a new place in Newark or Wilmington (preferably Newark). I don't drive, so most important to me is somewhere I can walk safely to grocery stores and the like, or at least catch a bus by myself. The place I live now we're down the road from a grocery store, but I don't feel safe going back and forth there anymore. I tried using NCCo's crime map, but seeing as how it doesn't even cover some areas (like Elkton Road) and neglects to post crimes that happened in our own complex, I'm not sure how useful it is. Any insight on safe, walkable areas/apartments/neighborhoods would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 01:35 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,991 times
The tough thing about Newark is the University. It's nice if you can find something you like in there but the University itself draws in an element willing to prey on young inebriated or single,late night walkers...hence the high rates of robbery in Newark.

Because of the University, the majority of places will not be in the best shape (a good number of 17-23 yr old folks don't have a whole lot of respect for property that they generally don't have personal interest in) or the nicer places will have noise issues with some of the late night activities that students are into on the weekends. Its just going to happen in a college town.

Perhaps expand your horizons beyond complexes and see the apartments that are on top of the businesses all along Main St. Less tenants = less noise inside the unit. However, since Newark can be busy Thurs-Sat until 2 AM or so, it might be a little noisier than you may prefer but the convenience is nice.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,325 times
there are a couple of apartments very close to local bus on route 4. these have high ratings and economical too. you could find them near 1000 SAMOSET DR, NEWARK, DE, 19713.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:58 PM

11 posts, read 20,450 times
Default School Lane Apartments

Anyone know about School Lane apartments? Would they be safe for a female attending UD?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:01 PM

they are a little secluded (they border a bus depot, Rt 72 and a light industrial park) but the UDel buses run to there - they are well east of the center of campus and past the "Gilbert" dorm complex that is now knocked down to make may for new dorms - they are mainly student housing and being a little secluded, it would be best to watch your surroundings closely when walking alone, especially at night (the same could be said for anywhere on campus)

on this map, they are in section 5 across Wyoming from the "Institute of Energy Conversion"
University of Delaware Campus Buildings and Maps

Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post
they are a little secluded (they border a bus depot, Rt 72 and a light industrial park) but the UDel buses run to there - they are well east of the center of campus and past the "Gilbert" dorm complex that is now knocked down to make may for new dorms - they are mainly student housing and being a little secluded, it would be best to watch your surroundings closely when walking alone, especially at night (the same could be said for anywhere on campus)

on this map, they are in section 5 across Wyoming from the "Institute of Energy Conversion"
University of Delaware Campus Buildings and Maps
Thanks so much. I just spoke with the Newark Police department today and they basically said the same thing. They were very helpful. I will pass on this info onto my daughter so hopefully she can make a good decision.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 PM

If your daughter will be going into school as a freshman, tell her to stay in dorm housing for the 1st year...it will be so much easier to get adjusted and to meet people - there will be less issues as they will be patrolled by campus police and there will be a lot more people coming and going than an apartment complex - some dorms like Rodney and Dickinson have single rooms with air conditioning (you will need it into October and starting in April (80°+ today) plus they are closer to the main learning buildings on campus and only 3 blocks from the library) - plus the student housing allows the advisor angle and more controls on out of hand partying allowing for studies to be more of a focus

Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlydude View Post
If your daughter will be going into school as a freshman, tell her to stay in dorm housing for the 1st year...it will be so much easier to get adjusted and to meet people - there will be less issues as they will be patrolled by campus police and there will be a lot more people coming and going than an apartment complex - some dorms like Rodney and Dickinson have single rooms with air conditioning (you will need it into October and starting in April (80°+ today)) - plus the student housing allows the advisor angle and more controls on out of hand partying allowing for studies to be more of a focus
Great info for incoming freshmen. My daughter will be a grad student at UD. It looks like School Lane is predominantly undergrads but with a section they use for grads. At least that is what their website states. The police officer I spoke with gave me many options to consider, and I am passing those on to her. The reason she was looking at School Lane was she found another grad student living there who is looking for a roommate. I am hoping she will find something else. The officer said there was nothing wrong with it, but as you said, he said it was isolated.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:18 PM

If you have any other suggestions, I would welcome them. She is a quiet, studious person, who does enjoy working out and having a pool. However, those things come at a price. If possible she would like to spend around $500 a month, but would possibly go up to $600 a month if the place was really nice. She is looking to share a place with another student to keep her costs down.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 PM

there is another place not too far from school lane but it is a larger complex with a pool - University Courtyard UC Newark in Newark, DE * Ambling Student Living
A little closer to Main St and right on Delaware Ave (which leads to the common areas of the university)
My wife stayed here when the place was 1st built as a senior in 2000-2001 - I'm sure the rent has gone up a little but her rent was under $600 in a shared 2 person apartment - the layout was nice with individual bathrooms in each bedroom, walk-in closet, shared tv room, kitchen and in suite laundry. Each room was also alarmed with panic buttons in each bedroom. It was the conveniences that sold the place and aside from the weekends, was pretty quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: