Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times

Advertisements

I was/am a Dupont Brat, lived in Newark for a couple of years in the early 60's. Far and away, Newark was the best place we ever lived, good people, great schools, loved the weather. I have recently been in touch with one of my old childhood friends, got him to come down to N.C. and do some fishing, we caught a lot of fish, that's kinda normal down here. I was a student at Newark High when Kennedy was assasinated-yeah----that makes me a semi-old fart. Just a few names click in what is left of my brain, Guiberson, Mace, Scanlon, I lived in Windy Hills. If anyone there recognizes any of the above names, tell them I said "Hi", Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,996 times
If I may ask, where in NC do you live and how would you compare life in your part of NC with Delaware? In terms of seasonal weather, nature, popular culture, whatever else.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
Was one of your friend's Wayne Guiberson?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Was one of your friend's Wayne Guiberson?
No, it was Stan Guiberson.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
If I may ask, where in NC do you live and how would you compare life in your part of NC with Delaware? In terms of seasonal weather, nature, popular culture, whatever else.
I'm living in rural NC between Greensboro (graduated from the UNC-G) and Raleigh/Durham. The summers are a bit warmer, but, so are the winters. As was the case with Newark, my area of N.C. is well educated ergo fewer instances of racism or other similar forms of idiocy, but, N.C. is better than most other southern states in that regard. The state religion here is Basketball. In my small town, the second time I went into the local Ace Hardware, they called me by name, the same applies to the local Southern States (an agricultural co-op). I was pulled by the local police, just so he could introduce himself and re-assure me that, should I encounter any problems, be sure to give him a call. Thus far there has been no need. A local Dairy farmer allows me to deer hunt in the pastures wherein he keeps his calves and bird hunt around his silos. The people here are friendly but not intrusive, kinda like they were in Newark, except they all have a southern accent. To be such a small town, we have a very large and well-outfitted library and several book stores. People will speak when you walk past. For lack of a better term, it is a laid-back existence, I enjoy it. (Well......August is a bear!!!)

Old 01-08-2010, 07:59 AM

Sounds lovely! I've thought of relocating to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill triangle (probably to Chapel Hill-Carrboro), but I'm not sure that there would be that great a difference in winter weather between northern DE and the NC piedmont, while I'm afraid the NC summers would feel quite a bit hotter and more humid than here. DE had a wonderfully cool summer last year, with only a couple really hot weeks. What do you personally think about the heat and cold comparison between the two states (not counting the western mountains of NC)?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Sounds lovely! I've thought of relocating to the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill triangle (probably to Chapel Hill-Carrboro), but I'm not sure that there would be that great a difference in winter weather between northern DE and the NC piedmont, while I'm afraid the NC summers would feel quite a bit hotter and more humid than here. DE had a wonderfully cool summer last year, with only a couple really hot weeks. What do you personally think about the heat and cold comparison between the two states (not counting the western mountains of NC)?
Then, you and I would be neighbors. Yes, there is a fairly sizeable difference in Weather, it is much more moderate here (Christmas day, walking around in a tee shirt is not unusual) I have problems with neither the heat nor the the cold. We did get a snow this year, it visited with us for almost three days before it was all gone. The soil here is red clay, if you do a garden, the first year it is like tilling bricks, but, till it, mulch it with your grass clippings and each year it gets easier and easier. I would suggest waiting several years before planting potatos or peanuts. The Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Hillsborough, Mebane (pronounced MEH-bin) area (with Durham, Raleigh and Greensboro) is much better educated than some other portions of the state, Duke, UNC, NC State, UNC-G, NCA&T, Wake Forest U., Elon U, are all within an easy drive. Schools are better here, also one of the best Mexican restaurants I've found outside of Veracruz. I have an old friend from Newark, has been down here once, and we are planning another trip If you are interested, The fishing off of the N.C. coast is wonderful. LOL, Kerry has been fishing Delaware bay for quite some time, when he came down here and actually saw "Blue Water", his reaction was fun. Let me know if I can be of help.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Thanks Dusty Rhodes, I may contact you before we come down for our investigative trip which we postponed last year (had been planning to come down last September).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware