Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,586,542 times

Advertisements

My parents are considering selling their Northern NJ home and possibly relocating to Delaware and don't know where in Delaware yet if it happens.

I've only heard rumors of higher than average cancer cases in Delaware and was hoping someone would be able to shed light on this.

I looked for posts pertaining to this and didn't find them right off and I apologize in advance if there is.

Thanks so very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 PM

310 posts, read 778,590 times
Yes, google it and you will see.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,580,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
My parents are considering selling their Northern NJ home and possibly relocating to Delaware and don't know where in Delaware yet if it happens.

I've only heard rumors of higher than average cancer cases in Delaware and was hoping someone would be able to shed light on this.

I looked for posts pertaining to this and didn't find them right off and I apologize in advance if there is.

Thanks so very much.
Its true, currently theres not a thread up on the topic, if I'm correct I think
if you check in "Is Delaware really so boring?"
We have a poster in De forum, "doctorjef" he can give you all the info
you'll need on the topic.

New Castle county is the problem, Kent and Sussex to my knowledge are fine.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:42 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,988,880 times
I'm afraid I can't give a lot of info on this. There are several cancer clusters in the state and they do include areas in Sussex, so probably Kent as well. They're not just in New Castle County. The News Journal has published stories and a map of the identified clusters in the past. I'm sure the map is available somewhere on-line. You should probably google something like "Delaware cancer clusters". I would think that these have been identified by the CDC and possibly are also an issue for the EPA. AFAIK there hasn't been any research published that casts light on the demographics and environomental factors specific to these areas, so the epidemiology for the clusters isn't entirely clear (obviously people will infer environmental factors having to do with DE's industrial history). That's all I know, I'm afraid.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:08 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,050,993 times
You know, this cancer scare nonsense is really starting get old and annoying. Yes, there are cancer clusters in Delaware as well as in every other state in the country. The answer to the original poster's question is NO.

Specifically, the incidence of cancer in Delaware is 487.5 people per 100,000 population. The incidence of cancer in your parent's home state of New Jersey is 496.4 people per 100,000 population, 1.8% higher than Delaware. This however, does not address the following: types of cancer, treatment and cure rates, specific geographic concerns, gender, age, ethnicity and so many other factors that any additional statistics quoted here can become mind-numbing.

I have cancer now. I didn't when I first starting discussing statistics here. I have Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Had I discovered this ten years ago, it might have been a death sentence. Now, I am being treated with two different forms of chemotherapy concurrently and expect to be cured. See the word? Cured! What we can do now with cancer is amazing compared to years earlier, so the statistical data tells you about the past, not the future!

Further, Delaware has been working to clear up much of it's cancer issue. If you have some time to do some reading, try this: The Next Four-Year Plan (http://www.delawarecancerconsortium.org/The-Next-Four-Year-Plan - broken link)

Oh, and by the way, I still live in New York. I have not made it to Delaware yet. And I live in a geographic area with extremely low statistics for cancer. Go figure!!

Last edited by Gone-2-Beach; 08-02-2009 at 05:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: