Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 PM

35 posts, read 126,336 times

Advertisements

We are doing research on our next home -- escaping northern NJ taxes like so many others. We are originally from Md and most family is there. BUT, our sons are finishing college in NJ and daughter may go to school in Manhattan. Hubby works from home.

If we considered Hockessin, Greenville, northern Delaware, etc, how would the ride to Manhattan be on weekends by car or by bus or train? How would it be to go to NYC during the week off-hours from rush hour?

how is the bus system up to the city if I wanted to visit daughter on my own during the week or just whenever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:09 PM

445 posts, read 1,435,688 times
Amtrak from Wilmington is quick (less than 2 hrs) but a bit pricey ($50 or more each way). Personally I drive to Princeton Junction and take the NJ Transit train to NYC Penn Station. From the Delaware Memorial Bridge its about 75 mins to Princeton and a 75 min train ride to NYC. The fare is something close to $12 each way and it beats any experience I've had driving.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:18 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Whilst I take the Acela Express (Amtrak), first class, at even more money and get to Penn Station in an hour and a half from Wilmgton, with lunch service and drinks on the train. At least some of us can.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 AM

7 posts, read 94,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Whilst I take the Acela Express (Amtrak), first class, at even more money and get to Penn Station in an hour and a half from Wilmgton, with lunch service and drinks on the train. At least some of us can.

Yes, some people can, but the overwhelming majority can not, so that really isn't going to help them much.

If you can't afford to spend an arm and a leg and still want to get to Manhattan from Delaware as quick as possible, I would suggest taking the Chinatown bus in Wilmington. The bus stop is at 4th and Market and it runs about every 2-3 hours (roughly) and drops you off either at Forysth and Division streets in Chinatown, Manhattan, or at 34th and Broadway in Midtown.

At $35 ROUND-TRIP, it's a deal that can't be beat.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:58 AM

35 posts, read 126,336 times
thank you for replies thus far. very interesting. Regarding the Chinatown bus, I've heard about this service. I was wondering -- how long would it take to get to the pickup stop from, say, Hockessin area? Also, is there Bolt Bus or other bus service from Wilmington?

the irony is, with the savings differential between property taxes alone on my NJ house (about $13,000) per year, and a downsized home in northern Delaware I could probably afford to ride the train whenever I wish!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:45 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Just to address that last point: yeah, you can probably figure to spend around $2,500/yr in property tax in New Castle County, assuming you aren't living in a mansion. In Sussex County there are some older homes that have a market value close to half a mil that pay less than $1,000/yr in property taxes -- apparently they don't do re-valuations there very often. I do think we can expect our property taxes to rise, but of course it won't be to anything like NJ's.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:58 AM

361 posts, read 1,946,849 times
Info contained here could be helpful:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/delaw...ml#post1846849

List of buses:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/09/26...l?pagewanted=2

The Bolt bus leaves from Philly (where you have to pay to park) and from Cherry Hill Mall in Cherry Hill, NJ (free parking), takes about 90 minutes, and can cost as little as $1.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Posters, IMHO, the OP was asking for all kinds of options on public transportation from Northern DE up to NYC. You all did a great job of giving her some choices, let's be kind to each other when responding, okay?

Old 12-06-2008, 06:12 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insurednotoriety View Post
Yes, some people can, but the overwhelming majority can not, so that really isn't going to help them much.

If you can't afford to spend an arm and a leg and still want to get to Manhattan from Delaware as quick as possible, I would suggest taking the Chinatown bus in Wilmington. The bus stop is at 4th and Market and it runs about every 2-3 hours (roughly) and drops you off either at Forysth and Division streets in Chinatown, Manhattan, or at 34th and Broadway in Midtown.

At $35 ROUND-TRIP, it's a deal that can't be beat.
Me.. I'm SUPER Cheap... I drive to Phila (3 bucks gas for me) and pay $20 RT to and from Chinatown.

If not, the Wilmington option is nice, just it only has 4 buses a day.

Driving is a pain in the ass, and is expensive. From Wilmington, going around 90, you can see the city in an hour and 20 minutes, with another 30min-1hr to get into the city itself (traffic.) This doesnt count like $18 in tolls, and whatever you pay to get your car out of the parking authority when they tow it.

I once met an Indian guy who commuted BY CAR from Newark (DE) to Manhattan daily. Poor guy looked like he was contemplating suicide.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,683 times
Double Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware