Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 AM

9 posts, read 49,684 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning on relocating to DE this year and will be driving around some neighborhoods this weekend. What are the safest places for a young family in this part of New Castle County. Any hidden gems?
We would specifically like an area where there is more to do for young children and a lot of outdoorsy stuff, we don't care about nightlife, restaurants or anything like that.https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...s/confused.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 05:37 PM

10 posts, read 44,153 times
i would go for townsend. odessa and townsend are basiclly the same city, just with two names. in townsend, they have an excellent school system. appoquinmik school districts which ranks 2nd in delaware. if i were you, i would enroll my child into a red clay school. it is the best in delaware, 49th in the nation. townsend has many child activities. they crime rate is extremely low, which we need these days.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg55 View Post
i would go for townsend. odessa and townsend are basiclly the same city, just with two names.
Sorry to disagree. Townsend is farther south than Odessa and has a different zip code. Townsend is west of U.S.Route 13, while U.S. Route 13 runs right through Odessa, which is a more historic town. I went to grade school right in Townsend, and that school is still operational, and within the Appoquinimink School District. Townsend has maintained its small town atmosphere. Meanwhile, around historic Odessa, there has been an explosion of housing developments, very close to the town, both on east and west sides. Odessa and Middletown are connected by the same road, Route 299, which is heavily developed now. I never really thought of Townsend and Odessa being anything alike. But, that's my opinion. MOT stands for Middletown, Odessa, Townsend. Little League, other sports teams, and clubs/organizations use that to identify their location. I'll stop now

Old 02-26-2008, 07:07 AM

445 posts, read 1,435,581 times
I agree with Delly; they are two different towns. But now, back to your question carrieJ. Delawareonline.com has an interactive crime report map. They detail the types of crime and police calls for a fairly well defined geographic area. Middletown just started their own police department last summer and the Odessa/Townsend areas are patrolled by the Country Sheriff. Generally crime is low in the MOT (Middletown-Odessa-Townsend) area, but it does exist. The thing we have found in our development ( Rt13 area, just south of Odessa) is the generally fact that people know their neighbors and watch out for each other. It was one of the reasons we chose our development 1-1/2yrs ago when we moved here.

Good luck on your search.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
jdoll........I was noticing your area yesterday, and the subdivisions are very well maintained. My work involves traveling throughout the state, and of course, when I go up your way I always work Willey's into my schedule. I could browse there all day!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 AM

60 posts, read 309,754 times
carriej
I currently live in wilmington, moved here last April. I have explored MOT over the last several months. All three areas are what I would consider small towns and really need to be visited. That being said I found a neighborhood called Parkside. It is in Middletown. They are currently building a community center (pool, gym, activity rooms, etc.) in the middle of what will ultimately be a neighborhood of 450+ houses, some big, some huge. We are waiting to see what prices do over the next year, but I really cannot see our family living anywhere else in DE. I think the slow down in the housing market will give the area time catch up as far as infrastructure, but from what I have been reading they have been keeping fairly well.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:16 PM

70 posts, read 218,035 times
ultimately depends on what you're looking for - we are moving this year to middletown and enjoy the fact that it still has a small town feel with all the amenities of being so close to shopping and we also picked it for the schools (we have 3 school aged girls). Estates at St. Annes is fab and we love Ryan Homes - ask for Suzanne she's great to work with. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,634 times
Default Townsend

We are 55+ but has found couple of houses in Townsend but has septic and well water.
Any advise?
Nathan

Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 PM

445 posts, read 1,435,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailasnathan View Post
We are 55+ but has found couple of houses in Townsend but has septic and well water.
Any advise?
Nathan
That is a pretty broad question. What are your concerns?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 AM

584 posts, read 871,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXJunkie View Post
ultimately depends on what you're looking for - we are moving this year to middletown and enjoy the fact that it still has a small town feel with all the amenities of being so close to shopping and we also picked it for the schools (we have 3 school aged girls). Estates at St. Annes is fab and we love Ryan Homes - ask for Suzanne she's great to work with. Good luck!
Did you move to St Annes? If so how do you like it so far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware