Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 07:08 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times

Advertisements

Well, I am trying to get in condition for a trek of several days in the Everest region of Nepal -- potentially this October if we can afford it (won't be doing the flight and trek on a shoe-string). Anyway, after a winter of hiding indoors from the cold, we are trying to get back in shape. Although I can easily go out briskly walking 6 to 10 miles here locally with minimal effort, I'd be interested in finding some places that aren't hard or long to drive to, where we can leave the car and do a longer circuit in some interesting surroundings. Of course, there's nowhere around that one can trek at a degree of altitude that would make any difference. At best, around here there's just a bit of up and down. In Lower Delaware it's flatter yet, but wondering about good trails with stuff to look at. Anyone have any favorites for hiking in Kent and Sussex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:31 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,344 times
First, let me say that I am very envious of your Nepal excursion--sounds just wonderful! Sounds like a dream hike to me.

I can certainly assist in hiking on local trails given my life pretty much revolves around hiking, biking, and running in the great outdoors. Cape Henlopen is a good first start. There are paved trails throughout the park and also dirt trails (not muddy) in the woods in front of where you park to walk Gordons Pond when you go to Cape Henlopen. These trails are hilly and will give you a good workout. You can hike the woods trails, the paved trails throughout the park, and the dune trails in the woods (parking lot across from the observation tower)-this will definitely give you some good mileage. Beware of ticks though when you go in the woods. Of course, there is plenty of scenery in Cape Henlopen--animals, plants, trees, marsh overlooks, etc.

Assawoman Wildlife Refuge is another good one, and it's very scenic. There are many different "tracts", but I would start out with the main one (follow the signs to Camp Barnes) and go from there. You'll make a right into the refuge about a half mile before you get to Camp Barnes, which is on a dead end road. You will get in almost seven miles if you walk the entire refuge including the three landings. LOTS to see there, and everything is starting to bloom right now so it will be quite pleasant. There is even an observation deck platform for bird observation about halfway into the refuge--you cannot miss it. Quite a few stairs to climb though. You can explore other tracts which are along the way to the refuge too....often requiring off-road parking in the dirt and grass. However, it's packed sand and stone parking if you park in the "main" refuge near Camp Barnes.

I'll type about some more places later--getting ready to go on a hike myself right now.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Thanks very much, Beachliz! Those sound like real possibilities and I'd already thought of doing the Gordon's Pond trail between Lewes and Reho. Any good trails farther inland? I was wondering if the park with the cypress swamp has a good trail (can't think of the name at the mo' and I'm sitting here typing on the iphone).

Old 04-19-2015, 11:21 AM

I'm back! Just finished a hike at Assawoman. Beautiful day for a hike, but beware--found a tick crawling up my pant leg after walking through some tall grass...so they're out.

Yes, you could do Gordon's Pond trail along with Cape Henlopen in one shot. That's a great hike too and very scenic. You could literally spend all afternoon hiking Cape Henlopen and Gordon's Pond.

Trap Pond in Laurel is the inland park you're thinking of, and I would definitely put that on my list. It's a 4.65 mile hike around the pond which is a packed dirt trail with a small packed gravel portion. I just ran a half marathon which was looping around the pond three times last month, and the trees were just starting to bud and bloom. There are a couple little off-shoot trails on the loop as well where you can see an old church and cemetery on one of them.

Delaware Seashore--Fresh Pond in Ocean View off Cedar Neck Road is a nice hike too, although not as entertaining as the parks previously mentioned. There's a nice overlook of the bay and an osprey nest at the end of the trail that's to your left as you enter the park though, and there's a pretty cool old barn on the left on an off-shoot trail of that same trail too.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:55 PM

405 posts, read 675,790 times
I second everything Liz has said so far. Another good place is Killens Pond state park. Closer to you is Blackbird state forest where you can see everything from beaver dams to the only public remote backcountry campsite in the state, which even has it's own adirondack shelter.
There are many trail systems down here that are run by the Nature Conservancy; The Ponders trail system and the McCabe tract, both near Milton. Also, there are Blairs Pond and Abbotts Mill pond trail systems, and their trailheads are only about a mile apart.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:41 PM

As Pete said...Killens Pond is another ideal place to hike. There's a really good loop around the pond along with some other trails as well.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:32 AM

LIz and Pete, thank you both for the very helpful input!

Old 04-20-2015, 04:11 PM

You're very welcome! Good luck preparing for your trip.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:32 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,866 times
As the weather heats up, be mindful of ticks. Especially at Killen's Pond - I played disc golf there once and yikes.

When you want something more than the local trails, you should look into taking drives further afield. I'd bet the area around the Chesapeake has some good hills. Pennsylvania has something called "Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon", and of course there is an actual mountain range a couple of hours inland into PA. Shenandoah National Park will be 3.5-4 hours from you. It makes a nice hiking mini-vacation to stay in one of the lodges/hotels within the park - they run package deals for this. While I'm on the topic, there's also a great B&B in the town at the northern foot of the park called Killahevlin - hike by day, take advantage of the B&B's fully stocked (free) pub at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware