Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 06:14 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times

Advertisements

This may have been discussed before, but is there a marked difference between real estate and schools in Kent vs Sussex counties? We have been thinking about Delaware for almost 2 years now, and until recently were pretty set on central Kent county.

I know about the big $$$ for property close to the beach, which we are not interested in. We live about 5 hours from the coast now, so anywhere in DE will be an improvement when we want to go to the beach.

What I'm talking about is a modest 3 BR, 2 BA ranch; maybe about 1600-2000 sq ft., 3/4-1 acre and a garage. We are not ready for the 55+ communities... and we will still have at least 1 child at home at that age. And county vs city or town is our preference.

I've posted before, but we have a 12 yr old son with autism, so maybe we are being "too particular" about the school district because of his placement. In Kent, I've been told to stay with Caesar Rodney. In Sussex, I've heard Cape Henelopen. Those are the districts that "house" the autism programs for each county.

Am I over analyzing this thing, or what??? We hope to be in Delaware mid-week to check things out, yet again. Any tips would be appreciated.

Mary

P.S. Is there anything going on in the Dover area that we should be aware of next week? I know there is no Nascar at Dover Downs, and the state fair just finished up in Harrington. Just want to make sure we won't be over-run in looking for a hotel room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 PM

113 posts, read 482,539 times
I don't know of anything much happening in Dover this week, but (and I'm just a very regular visitor) I haven't noticed that much happens often. I stay with family, so I'm afraid I don't know about the hotel situation.

I asked family about some of your questions. They all like Lewes, but don't have much information about Cape Henlopen school district. General feeling here is that Caesar Rodney is good, though no one knows about a program for autistic children.

One relative says he's guessing that inland Sussex is probably about the same as the rural areas around Dover in terms of real estate prices. He says that in his neighborhood a house such as you describe would go for around $250,000, but quite possibly less in the country. It's has been my observation that it's country within a few minutes of driving almost any direction from Dover!

I think you're wise to explore thoroughly and to ask a lot of questions.

My husband and I have been mulling a move to Delaware for quite some time now, but we still haven't decided. Some things just don't please us, in fact, truly worry us. But it seems to be the same in every state we've (mostly my husband) considered! There's always something, or several things, that don't please us!

Hope your visit goes well!

Julie

Old 07-30-2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks Julie! I have seen your other posts regarding extended visits with family... definitely makes searching the area much more affordable!

The autism program in Kent county is "housed" in the CRSD. The main campus is at the Charlton school, but the program operates "satellite" classrooms at Fifer middle and CRHS for the older, more able kids. As I understand it, most school districts will make the referral with a diagnosis to CRSD. I would just rather be in the school district to begin with and not depend on the referrals going through, etc.

As far as I know, the autism program in Sussex county is at the Sussex Consortium, with a similar relationship with the Cape Henelopen SD. Which explains my leaning to that district (as mentioned above).

We have found the same thing as you regarding being in the country very quickly. One thing that concerns me is the cluster developments popping up in the middle of a corn field... so to speak. We'd rather be 5 miles further out in the country where that is less likely to happen right next door to where we end up. If that makes any sense.

I know from your other posts you and your husband have been considering DE for a while... sounds like us! I'd be interested in some of your concerns, or things that worry you as you said. If you'd rather PM, that's fine. I don't expect DE to be perfection, and know it will be an improvement over where we are now. But are we jumping from the frying pan into the fire?????

Old 07-31-2007, 07:54 AM

113 posts, read 482,539 times
Mary,

Yes, we're lucky to have relatives where we're searching. In fact, we have several related families in this state, though I stay with my sister primarily. My children mesh wonderfully with hers. The cousins have so much fun!

My concerns are those that I've read about on this forum and that my relatives share (well, some do and some don't). I've also gotten a little perspective from my sister's friends, some of whom love this area near Dover and some who want to move.

I still get mixed reviews of school systems, and the majority of people I talk with here are, at least, concerned about doctors and the local hospital, though others say it has all improved in recent years and should continue to improve.

The other thing is boredom. For me, folks! I know I can be fairly content with just being with family, but we have been renting in a beautiful town in northern New Jersey, where you can get into New York to the museums, the shows, the restaurants, sports for my hub, and so much more, in half an hour. In fact, there's far more to do in town itself, without going into NY, than here.

For now, the children are happy here just playing with their cousins and enjoying the pool. We rarely go to the beach because of the crowds and traffic. I wonder if my husband and I can be happy here too. A lot of people say you can easily drive to Philadelphia from here or DC, but we don't like those drives, and neither do our twins.

I understand about developments suddenly appearing in cornfields. Actually, I worry about what pesticide residues there might be in such cornfields.

We can't come close to affording a house that we want in NJ, and I have to say that, though I keep on passing along info to people about the affordability of much real estate in Delaware, we have not yet found a house we truly like in our price range yet.

You have done much research on behalf of your son. I'm so glad to hear that.

Julie

Old 07-31-2007, 04:40 PM

Hey Julie,

Sounds like we are on the same wavelength in the caution department! I think I recall your twins are about 8, right? I would not be as concerned about schools if we just had a few years to go, but my youngest is just going in to 4th grade so we have a long stretch ahead of us.

I know what you mean about the mixed reviews about the schools; I honestly think the public schools everywhere are going through some very trying times, to say it nicely. Even where we are in NC, its been like a roller coaster ride from one year to the next with change after change. But we are not in a position to go with private schools, and probably would not find one suitable for Tony (the one with autism) even if we could. We have 2 older kids (1 in college, 1 a junior in HS) so tuition on the upper level is spoken for.

As far as boredom... my husband is a bit concerned about that more than I am. The kids and I are in a pretty rural area now and are pretty used to 30-60 minute drives to just about anything to do (other than shopping at Wal-mart). But hubby works in NYC, and will continue to do so for at least the next few years. To us, the 2-3 hr drives to get to DC, Philly, or NYC would be right up our alley. I guess it's all what you get used to.

Affordability seems to be what it all boils down to, for most people. I talk to parents of special needs kids all over the country, and a lot of them are just getting by financially because of the services (in and out of school) for their children.

We mainly are looking for an area where our son has a prospect of a future... on a small scale that he can go at his own pace. We are too far away from things here in NC, and NY is just too fast for him to get along in. We're hoping central to southern DE will be just about right.

Mary

Old 09-16-2007, 08:36 AM

119 posts, read 355,694 times
Mary,

May I ask where in NC you are right now? We're looking to possibly move to DE from NC, too, within the next 2 years. My son has some special needs (he was a micro-preemie) and so schools are of particular concern to us, as well.

Have you had a lot of luck in your research since you last posted?

Janice

Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Janny,

We finally had great success.... we visited DE for about the 8th time in 2 years; we came in the first week of August and found a beautiful house to rent in the school district we were aiming for.

All has gone extremely well so far; we have all been please about or experience since day one. We chose to rent for a year to try the schools out. Although I have heard from various sources that DE schools are mediocre at best, our experience has been fine both with the 12 yr old w/autism and our "typical" 10 yr old.

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: