Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 21,019 times

Advertisements

Any on know of any restaurants serving Thanksging dinner this year.
Do the local country clubs only make their restaurants available to members.
Please help need some place to take MIL for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 PM

903 posts, read 3,520,627 times
I don't know about this area particularly, as we are new in town. But where we moved from, a lot of restaurants served very nice dinners at Thanksgiving. Check out Golden Corral or a similar buffet style restaurant. Where we used to live, you had to make reservations at the K & W Cafeteria... it would be THAT crowded!

Let us know what you figure out!

Mary

Old 11-01-2007, 05:47 AM

27,337 posts, read 44,694,393 times
Default Thanksgiving Dinner in Dover

If you wish to remain on speaking terms with the MIL, I'd recommend NOT taking her to the oh-so-posh Golden Corral for turkey, sweet iced tea and all the fixins....just a hunch. I don't live in Dover (thankfully) as the Golden Corral seems to be the hot place in town for the locals according to all web research.
It's all very odd since Dover is the state capitol and one might think politicians, etc. might have some better taste than that. Perhaps they flee for Wilmington every day after work.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:00 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,729,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you wish to remain on speaking terms with the MIL, I'd recommend NOT taking her to the oh-so-posh Golden Corral for turkey, sweet iced tea and all the fixins....just a hunch. I don't live in Dover (thankfully) as the Golden Corral seems to be the hot place in town for the locals according to all web research.
It's all very odd since Dover is the state capitol and one might think politicians, etc. might have some better taste than that. Perhaps they flee for Wilmington every day after work.

You know there probably are other places in Dover. Marych and a few of us a pretty new to the area and still scouting around.
Different folks like different foods and not of all of us can afford an oh-so-posh dining experience!

Kyle.........
I'm sure the local papers will be advertising for Thanksgiving Diners. I was talking to someone last night and she said they are going out but I didnt' catch the place. I know the papers in philly advertised for Thanksgiving diners. In fact, they would have a whole section dedicated to this.
Rockky.......Has mentioned quite a few excellent restaruants, so maybe she will chime in.
Good luck.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:03 AM

699 posts, read 2,907,257 times
Elizamary is correct. I remember last year that the Dover Post had several pages devoted to Thanksgiving dinners. Should be coming out in the next edition I would think.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 AM

969 posts, read 2,867,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab10 View Post
Dover is only an hour from Grasonville, MD - the Grasonville VFW Post 7464 serves a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner from 1PM - 4PM for $7.00 a person and it is open to the public.

The food is EXCELLENT and the people are friendly

Old 11-01-2007, 10:11 AM

342 posts, read 1,799,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Kyle,
I am sure you have heard the old saying, "If you can't say something nice...", well, we all know the rest. Mary was trying to be helpful, unlike yourself. Maybe you should respond to the threads that you actually have some kind of positive input.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:36 AM

903 posts, read 3,520,627 times
hc7612,

Thanks for going to bat for me... as you said, I was just trying to be helpful. After posting, I realized I have been reading and whipping off replies without a lot of thought. If the original poster would clarify the type of place his MIL would be impressed with, perhaps better suggestions will come along.

My train of thought was a cafeteria style food selection, because 1) it works good with a group (one mention was MIL; I assumed the wife and maybe kids would be part of the dining party); and 2) like elizamary mentioned, budgetary guidelines were not mentioned. I know from experience, some MIL's ARE impressed by $$$, while others are NOT. Know what I mean???

Hopefully, when my boys are older and I become a MIL, I don't "live up" to that moniker!

Mary

Old 11-03-2007, 05:22 AM

342 posts, read 1,799,900 times
Mary,
I think your response was totally appropriate for the guidelines given. You were trying to be helpful, Kyle was not.

I am sure you will be a terrific MIL. I am sure your boys will be proud.

Heather

Old 11-03-2007, 06:13 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,028,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab10 View Post
mab10, Checking the Dover Post will be a fast way to get local info about Thanksgiving Dinner. The Dover Post is a little, weekly newspaper chocked full of information and news of local interest. I looked forward to getting it each week. We did get it free. Every Wednesday morning they dropped off a pile at the condos where we lived. Someone used to come by and steal them, but if you got there early......... It was one of the best ways to learn about local stuff. They do a great job!

The State News is Dover's daily. I'm sure the same advertisers are in both.

I don't know about local clubs. We were at Maple Dale several times (breakfast and one New Year's party), but there was a membership. The food was good. You could give them a call.

Also, check with the Sheraton in north Dover. I think they used to have a Thanksgiving buffet. The restaurant has changed names in the last year or so. I don't know if they are still doing Thanksgiving. I've been told it was a very nice dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware