Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,985 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am about to take an assignment in Dover for about one year exactly. I am from the Raleigh-Durham NC area and I live about 10 minutes from what I call the "city". My question is what areas should I consider when looking for an apartment in Dover. I am considering making the move up north permanent, however from this forum I just dont think I would enjoy Delaware long term due to the longer winter, tolls . I am considering Northern VA after my contract is over. I am happy that I will have a year to see if I actually like the area with no real commitment afterwards, but it would be great if the state won me over. Im just looking for some help during my short stay in Dover. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 PM

10 posts, read 41,210 times
It may be helpful if you describe the qualities/amenities you value in your preferred/ideal community. Delaware is not a large state so you could commute from other areas if Dover doesn't suit your preferences. For example, you are coming from Raleigh-Durham, I've only driven thru but I hear it is somewhat like a lively college town with a decent white-collar job base, and you are considering moving to northern VA, which is part of the WashDC region and you get all the 'bells & whistles'...and possible headaches that come with that...haha. Dover is the total opposite of those places...falls under the 'could be a culture shock' category! (side note: if you are worried about the tolls in DE....let me tell you, those tolls have nothing on the cost of living in northern VA! The toll you are probably referring to is on I-95 at the DE/Maryland state line - it's $4 in each direction. For those who live & work in DE, you rarely, if ever, use it, and you can easily get around it...a 3 minute detour.)

Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM

Thanks, I'm looking for something in walking/biking distance from a shopping center. Doesnt have to be retirement community quiet,d just not a major crime area. Schools will be a concern if I decide to hang around long term. Its only a year assignment so even if a long term extension is offered I will have time to figure out what area suits me best.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 AM

10 posts, read 41,210 times
I don't know Dover neighborhoods that well, but check out the tread titiled Relocating- Neighborhood recomendations near Dover AFB (to rent, houses, neighborhoods). Basically, if you must/want to live in/near Dover, check out the areas near/in Magnolia.

Also, there are some grocery stores/shopping centers along US 13/Dupont Hwy and the Dept. of Transp. has added bike lanes on that route; however, I don't know if you like biking along 3-lane roads w/ moderate to heavy traffic (at times) going 40-55 mph - but there are frequent stop lights. There are some neighborhoods west of US 13 in that area, but I don't know anything about them.

I only know of one person who rented an apt in Dover. I don't think he had much time to rsch. I'm assuming the place didn't appear to be unpleasant on the surface, but i remember him mentioning issues w/ 'section 8' residents. So, if you rent an apt., make sure you ask if they accept secton 8 vouchers (that's a rule of thumb for any apt in any city really).

If you don't mind commuting 30-45 minutes, I'd also consider the following:
-the communities near the beach. I think there are more bike friendly areas. And, there's more to do there than in Dover.
-the Middletown/Odessa area. Although I hear there are few apts and of those that are there, they aren't that great...you may want to see if there are townhomes for rent. Closer to US 301 can be tricky w/ traffic issues. It's a growing area, lot's of new commercial/residential development. Your commute to Dover would be about 25-30 min.
-the Bear/Glasgow/Christiana/U.S. 40 area. there are plenty apts that range in price and quality. Your commute to Dover would be about 40-50 minutes. this puts you in northern New Castle County, and therefore you have access to a whole lot more than in Dover. It would give you access to probably many things you might be used to in Raleigh. Wilmington & some great parks are only 15 minutes away, a nice regional mall (Christiana Mall) is close, Philly is only 40-45 minutes (w/ no traffic & depending on where you live); and the Philly airport is only 30-35 minutes away (again depending...).

Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,269,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flt515320 View Post
Thanks, I'm looking for something in walking/biking distance from a shopping center. Doesnt have to be retirement community quiet,d just not a major crime area. Schools will be a concern if I decide to hang around long term. Its only a year assignment so even if a long term extension is offered I will have time to figure out what area suits me best.
Speaking of "biking" .... See the hiking and biking thread. Delaware is #10 in being a biker friendly state. Where I live, outside Dover (in the Camden/Wyoming area) many people bike to work.....some guys in suits and ties! Lots of shopping centers around here, public bus transportation, Amish communities, fresh produce, and apple/peach orchards.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will check everything out when I get there. From looking online it looks like I will be able to entertain the alcoholics and gamblers in my family at Dover Downs. I'll be at a hotel for a couple weeks until I get a place. I'm not worried about living in the Dover city limits but I will take a serious look at the Smyrna and Wyoming areas. I also see that DE state taxes are a little lower than NC which was surprising. Im glad I'll be there for a year so I will have time to check everything out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware