Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 AM

113 posts, read 482,572 times

Advertisements

Rockky, not for the first time, but especially after that last post of yours, I think YOU should be the one to write a book. Beautifully expressed, and you didn't lose my interest for a second.

This exchange has given rise to some interesting points, and points-of-view, and I can thoroughly appreciate most of what each of you has said. Thanks for handling all this so well.

If you sense I'm not responding fully, well, you're right. I am so caught up in the imminent move (which may still be a couple months away, but my husband and I will be on the West coast, for him to start work and for me to explore, week after next). Meanwhile, I'm looking for furniture storage, as we're pretty certain we will want to rent for at least 6 months.

Sussex County thread! I will try to check a couple threads later today. Meanwhile, all I can say is that I love the shore part of Sussex, even with all the traffic challenges and changes, but it doesn't have everything we need, and now my husband's job is elsewhere. Way elsewhere!

Lori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Oh...sigh.....I wish I could go back and show everyone what it was like then.
You just did ... and it was absolutely marvelous! Thank you for showing me the Delaware of your youth. Now I can more easily understand why the native Delawarean sometimes dislike when the area changes to attract newcomers like me. You described a very special place and time - and did it very well!

Charley

Old 11-16-2007, 11:03 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times
I'm supposed to be helping to tile a large room right now. teehee My mind is at the beach.

Anyway, if you take a look at this Addy Sea site, you can see the cottage on the one pictures. Scan down and take a look at the photo showing the aftermath of the '62 Noreaster. Follow the road next to Addy Sea (Oceanview Parkway) away from the beach to the block before what was then a two-lane highway. There's only two blocks between the ocean and the highway...now Coastal Highway. That's were we stayed! It was torn down a few months ago.

The complex which appears on the upper right is the Military/Coast Guard Training site. They have a helicopter mounted out front of it now. We woke to a bugle each morning from that dern place. LOL!

This picture must have been take several days after the water receeded. The land was totally covered with water from the ocean to the bay.

Host Your Wedding, Meeting or Event at the Addy Sea, Bethany Beach Bed&Breakfasts - Rates for the Addy Sea Summer Season

Old 11-16-2007, 01:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Ahhhhh.......memories......
I remember when my husband was in the National Guard, and during Hurricane Hazel (1954), their unit had to stay down at that old National Guard Barracks in Bethany Beach. He remembers, vividly, shoveling sand out of the very few hotels which were located along the ocean front, after the hurricane struck.That place was about as boring as one could get, in that day and time. No eating places, no condos, housing, no nothing!

Old 11-24-2007, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,198 times
To All,

It is a bit scary........what will happen when the next hurricane hits? I mean with the population growth and soooo many people and homes? Are homes being built to withstand a bad hurricane? And does the state of Delaware have restrictions regarding the clearing of land for new home developments?

Last edited by SAB1956; 11-24-2007 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-24-2007, 09:25 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1956 View Post
To All,

It is a bit scary........what will happen when the next hurricane hits? I mean with the population growth and soooo many people and homes? Are homes being built to withstand a bad hurricane? And does the state of Delaware have restrictions regarding the clearing of land for new home developments?
There are comprehensive plans in place, regarding building in the State of Delaware, and there are also designated Growth Zones. The last hurricane I remember was in 1954. Along the coastal areas, there was some water and wind damage. Anything since 1954 has just been some wind, and not much damage done. I'm in mid-state Delaware and Delaware is one of the safer places to be if you're worried about hurricanes. Of course, if you have a home along the bay or ocean, you will be more at risk to winds and heavy surf. Delaware is only 97 miles long and between 9 and 47 miles wide at the widest point, give or take. I'd rather be here than anywhere else, when thinking about hurricanes.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:04 AM

199 posts, read 938,508 times
Saab1956,
I think I'd worry more about the hordes of retirees coming up Florida and East from CA, than I would hurricanes. As Delly said, if you're looking for a laid-back, rural environment, you'd better enjoy it now because in a few years, the congestion and traffic will get worse. Like Delly also said, DE is a small state and won't get any bigger. Of course, DE could declare war with MD and try a land grab. I don't mean to make this a negative post - just statements of reality. There just aren't enough good pieces of real estate that fit most peoples wants and needs, particularly us retirees who want some peace, quiet and relaxation after spending 50-plus years working, raising kids and whatever. Who wants to go to Montana, International Falls MN, or, God forbid, Fargo ND and freeze most of the year? Alaska is probably the least expensive state in which to live - no state sales tax, no state income tax and oil revenues per capita. But, it's cold.

I've said this before and won't get on a soap box, but there are too many people and not enough land. For us retirees, we're finished with all that; but, young families should think hard before deciding to have four plus kids.

Delly,
I believe the name of that hurricane in 1954 was Hazel. I remember looking outside our home near Balto. City and watching the wind and rain and wondering what was coming next.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:23 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Saab1956,
I think I'd worry more about the hordes of retirees coming up Florida and East from CA, than I would hurricanes. As Delly said, if you're looking for a laid-back, rural environment, you'd better enjoy it now because in a few years, the congestion and traffic will get worse. Like Delly also said, DE is a small state and won't get any bigger. Of course, DE could declare war with MD and try a landstate income tax and oil revenues per capita. But, it's cold.

\
Delly,
I believe the name of that hurricane in 1954 was Hazel. I remember looking outside our home near Balto. City and watching the wind and rain and wondering what was coming next.
I agree PeeWeeaz......Just in the past 5 years, it has been growing out of control. So the locals tell me.
Still more homes going up but slowly since the housing market has take a dive.

We lived about 150 miles from the shore in 1954 and I remember Hazel. Electricity was out for hours, streets were flooded, the men on our block were walkingup and down with their flash lights to see what they can do.
It was quite scary and I remember thinking what it must of been like right on the beach.
Of course, I was a tiny baby then

Old 06-15-2008, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,953 times
Default David Galieth

I am thinking about retiring to sussex County, DE from Bradenton/Sarasota, FL. Any Pros/Cons to living in the DE area. I am looking for a 55+ retirement community. I am still working as a Financial Planner/Adviser.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 37,287 times
Karmel,
We are not yet permanent residents of Delaware but hope to be by the end of 2009. We purchased in Heritage Shores in Sussex county. We were well informed about all the areas of Delaware, pros and cons, chickens and more chickens, rural vs. urban, etc., etc.. We chose Bridgeville because it affords us a rural lifestyle yet availability to many choices. Our daughter and her family live in Annapolis and visiting in the summer can be a challenge during the beach migration season. Otherwise, it takes us a little over an hour to arrive there... Bay Bridge and all.
I think every state has its good and bad points. We, presently are NJ natives and I could give you a list of faults but we love all the great things it has to offer. Yet, we are looking forward to moving to our new, adopted state of DE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware