Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to retire to the wonderful state of Delaware from New Jersey(sorry I should have kept that a secret). We are interested in Sussex County within 15 minutes to the beach. We will be coming down to look at new developments soon. We will be looking to buy within the next year or two. Options open. We are open to 55 plus communities but I will be only 52 next month. We are also open to other communities that have no age restrictions. Children will be out of school by the time we move. We would like to have a clubhouse and pool community. Price range 200s to low 400s. We would not be looking for work but like to occupy some time with volunteer work. I'm currently in my 31st year in law enforcement and wanting to call it quits. Thanks for any and all help and I want to compliment your pleasant attitudes and opinions on the Delaware forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 03:55 PM

422 posts, read 1,362,864 times
Milton has quite a few new development that may be in your price range. It may end up being a lil' bit more than 15 minutes to the beach depending on summer traffic. However, Broadkill Beach is a few miles straight down Route 16 from Milton. Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge is located there also. Milton has a community theater that may be a place to volunteer. I grew up in Milton but no longer reside there. Some new developments are Pemberton and some others whose names elude me right now (sorry!) Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
Not sure where a hospital is in that particular area but a lot of them have very well organized volunteer programs, they train you and basically you can make your own hours although they do like you to try to keep to the same basic schedule as best you can.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 AM

23 posts, read 325,137 times
Default moving to Del-Jersey man

Jman- I am in the same boat as you but would like to move from LI. There is a new community going up in Milton that will probably fit your time frame. Google Parke Central Homes and it will lead you there. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 AM

903 posts, read 3,506,790 times
Jersey man,

Thank you on behalf of us "regulars" and mostly newbies to DE! Being so new to the state, I hope I am not being presumptuous in accepting your gracious comment to the posters here!

As I have posted elsewhere, we are in central Kent county, but considered Sussex prior to our move to this little state. In our search, we drove past and through several communities that sound like they are right up your alley; both here in Kent (especially below Dover) AND in Sussex.

I guess it just depends on how "organized" a community and affiliated recreational facilities you and your bride are looking for. At your age (not many more years than myself, I must say), it sounds like you may not be ready for the 55+ of which elizamary speaks so fondly of. I can't speak for Sussex county, but I am learning daily of many, many opportunities OUTSIDE the 55+ communities for activities for soon to be retired folks like yourselves. Just really depends on your taste in neighborhoods and neighbors.

I will say from what I have read and learned, you may served your pension better by backing off the waterfront area a bit. Like most other coastal areas, a mere 10-15 miles away from the water can make a tremendous difference in the listing price of a home. Again, it really depends on what lifestyle you are aiming for.

I wish you luck in your pursuit; and thank YOU for serving the citizens of YOUR area all those years!

Mary

Old 01-22-2008, 06:06 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,047,583 times
Hi Jersey Man,

Let me add my welcome and my thanks for your service to community. You'll find a wealth of information in this forum. Some of the threads I would recommend include:

55+ Communities

Land lease verses owning the land.

and

Moving to DE

although there is great info in just about every thread in the forum. It will take you a while to read it all, but it's time well spent. Please be sure to ask EVERY possible question you can think of when visiting the various 55+ communities. The only stupid question is the one never asked.

Also, please share with us what you find and what you think. You and your wife represent additional points of view and your impressions will continue to help to us expand and enhance our collective knowledge!

Good luck and keep in touch with us as you search through Delaware.

Charley

Old 01-22-2008, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,477 times
I recently moved here from the Northern VA/DC area and live in Milford. In our area, there is a popular community, very reasonably priced, called Hearthstone. Villas go for somewhere in the low $200s. There is also Paynter Village, I believe it's called. I think it's in Milton. It is more upscale and closer to the beach.

A word of warning - there are not a lot of great places to eat here, even with the beach restaurants. I try to get back to DC at least once a month.

Best of luck!

Last edited by llatorre; 01-22-2008 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
Thanks everyone for your informative information. We just received the new Delaware transportation map which I might say is very good. We are trying to do alot of research online but we have found out that the state of New Jersey will not let the builders or anyone send us any brochures or advertisements on homes. Now thats a law I don't know about but everytime I contacted someone in any of the communities via the internet I was shut out. But thats not going to shut me out it's only making it a little harder and myself more determined to find out. Thanks again. JM

Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
I really love Delaware, and spend many summer weeks there.
Enjoying the ocean, and family members.
I've been meaning to write about things that come up that some of us are not aware of. I just think it pays to learn and find out about certain things....and beforehand at that.
I stay every winter in SC at an all age community by the beach.
They own from the main highway the entire long block area up to and including parking beachside......quite nice.
However, no one owns the land.
Not the people here in the Keys section near the beach. Not the Bermuda Bay homes that are up towards the highway, but the newest and most costly. Nor of course do the older homes in the middle, by the park, lakes, and clubhouse.........Just no one owns their land.
The homes range from below 200 on upwards to the new ones of 650,000 ....or the ones in the Key section of about 350,000...400"s
Well, what is worrisome to me is that about 4 years ago there was a fire.
Two of the older homes, on the lake.......burnt down.
These were some of the first homes here, probably going for not all that much at the time.
They were told that they had to rebuild a home for "that section" at the "going rate". So, thinking most likely they didn't have insurance that would cover the older home for the going rate which was 160,000 or so there, just after the fire. This left them......most likely retired folks........with not enough insurance to cover the rebuild.
All these past 4 years now, they have been paying dues, and maintainance on just empty land. No home......not enough insurance to build it back.
I don't think that it would happen on a new home, as people will have proper coverage. But, think of that when buying an older home where you don't own you land. Check the fine print. Will you have to build what they want you to build on their terms.........The land owner can tell you what to do with your leased lot. I'm just saying this so all the fine print is read.
I know most everyone ( except Pots Nets) people seem happy with the arrangements.
I always felt so sorry for these two families. I think they have finally sold the lots or one of them......but now it is years later.
Be careful and don't jump too fast.
I know someone who brought two older homes in here without knowing that.
We told them......they were not aware. Since then they have sold the homes.
In any case......I love that state...just be careful

Old 01-26-2008, 01:40 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
I read with great interest about land leases, because my sis is stuck with such an awful mess within the Pots Nets community.
The owner would just as well see you have to vacate "his land" ......leave your improved and updated home, as he makes the lot rent beyond many of the owners ability to pay.
It is a beautiful place but it comes with an unending, upheaval in land dues.
Some say......Ah, its all relative to the cost of taxes. It all evens out in the end. I just don't feel that way. Taxes on my own land I feel are at least paying for the land my home sits on. I own the land.......I'll pay those taxes.
Lot rent......Your filling the Leasers pockets, and he is laughing all the way to the bank. Knowing full well, next year.......he'll hit you up for more.
Finally, maybe.......you'll give up. He'll have his land back.....put up a nice big half million dollar home.
I really didn't mean to scare people about the houses that had the fires.
But, that is here.......I'm sure in fine print. Those owners who had the older homes here, most didn't read that.
Think about the retired man with the home he got for 50,000 or 60,000 many years ago. Did he ever imagine......he'd have a fire......and his insurance on that amount would not build what the land owners here require now?
All these four years having to pay on the land with now no home. They required of him, a 160,000 home but now after 4 years it is probably in the 260,000 on upwards. Surely, his homeowners policy as one of the first homes here.......won't be enough.
I am ok for a community with a low dues, a few rules, maybe a small pool, garbage, cable fee. But, to not own the land your precious home is sitting on.
Quite scarey to me......

Last edited by Summering; 01-26-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware