Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 06:11 PM

38 posts, read 46,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This isn't really my discussion, but I can't resist chiming in. Nodding in agreement to the various history lessons in this thread, chronicling Dayton's mismanagement, it still seems to me that a city of this size and type would be fighting an uphill battle, even with the most enlightened administration.

Dayton has been too closely associated with the automotive industry. So many of those innovative tool-and-die shops ultimately connect to the automotive supply chain. All cities with close connection to automotive or steel have been in decline nationwide. Size is a factor, because a city has to be sufficiently large to diversify beyond 1-2 industries. It has to be sufficiently large to market itself as a hotspot for insurance/finance/consultancy, which is to say, the white-collar growth-drivers. Dayton has a large and commodious airport, but it can't attract airlines to house their hubs there. The city is just too small. With the intersection of the I-75 and I-70 - two hugely important national highways - Dayton could be a center for trucking, shipping and distribution. But again, it's just too small. Instead, the transportation scene is going in the wrong direction. I live not far from the town of Wilmington, southeast of the Dayton metro area. Wilmington's airport was a hub for DHL. Well, only a few years ago (5?), DHL left. Now the airport stands empty.

Could anybody give examples of Midwestern cities with population under 200,000, who are neither state capitals nor university-towns, which have managed to thrive in the past 20 years? I can think of only one true success story anywhere in the Midwest: Chicago. And surely it would be ludicrous for Dayton to aspire to mimic Chicago's recipe for success - not because Dayton lacks the civic leadership, but because it's just too small.
Watch that airport close. It is not dead. This Waynesville boy hears that things are afoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandarthegreat View Post
I have been following the thread and I've noticed that you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about in regards to the Dayton of today. Plus, the casual racism--super awesome, eh? A smart person would look at Dayton as another example of the near cataclysmic shift from a manufacturing-based economy to a service-based economy. Only a moron would look at the Second Great Migration as a cause, rather than a symptom.
In re: to understanding history--would you like to see my credentials? Any idiot that says history is easier to understand the older you get is talking about a situation in which their biases and agendas cloud their ability to approach history critically.
Huh, I pinned it on no migration. I pinned it on the federal government...more specifically the civil rights act and the fair housing act. I specifically did not pin it on (coloreds, briars, blacks, negros, african americans, hicks, etc.) people of persuasion. But those with the incredible credentials that can talk down to a moron have the benefit of clear sight. Us morons that get older and wax about the good ole days that never existed should shut the hell up and let you 'splain things.

Did you casually call me a racist *******?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I have been following the thread and I've noticed that you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about in regards to the Dayton of today. Plus, the casual racism--super awesome, eh? A smart person would look at Dayton as another example of the near cataclysmic shift from a manufacturing-based economy to a service-based economy. Only a moron would look at the Second Great Migration as a cause, rather than a symptom.
In re: to understanding history--would you like to see my credentials? Any idiot that says history is easier to understand the older you get is talking about a situation in which their biases and agendas cloud their ability to approach history critically.
These computers. It started with an "a" and ended with an "e". punk

Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Did you call me a racist?

And yes, I would all like to see your credentials.

I, on the other hand, was an eyewitness to that "example" for 45 years. I am sure I should believe you however, over my own lying eyes.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times
Are you a racist? You've certainly said quite a few things that are indicative of at least a modicum of aversive racism.

I'm a social historian specializing in historiography of the United States, specifically the American South. I have a Bachelor's from a Catholic college in Indiana and a Master's from DePaul.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Are you a racist? You've certainly said quite a few things that are indicative of at least a modicum of aversive racism.

I'm a social historian specializing in historiography of the United States, specifically the American South. I have a Bachelor's from a Catholic college in Indiana and a Master's from DePaul.
But I really do not consider someone from kentucky to be of a different race...

Sure, under the right circumstances I will say bad things about briars, I will say bad things about blacks too. Have lived with both, have worked with both, have had both work for me. Know lots of both of them that are great people. And plenty that are worthless pieces of ....

So, historiographically, what is my affliction?

Oh, yeah, lying eyes.

Yes, I have a very specific opinion about what occurred in Dayton Ohio which brought about its current malignancy. It is my opinion which I have explained quite clearly. You may argue if you like.

Call me a racist with all the baggage you subtly try to attach...best start quoting.

So, exactly how many levels of government are between your paycheck and the actual legislation authorizing you to be an expert?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 PM

430 posts, read 593,766 times
Sorry to disappoint, but I've only worked for smaller museums, art galleries, and myself. But yeah, keep worrying about HUD and its imaginary black army.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 PM

Sorry to disappoint, the army aint black.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,750 times
Quote:

Good. Then understand....

Before busing "black folks" were scattered throughout Dayton. Some lived in the East End beyond the Oregon District. Some lived along Springfield street. Some lived downtown where Sinclair college now is. Black was not synonymous with "West Side." Use that as a foundation to come to an understanding of current events.

And, that's just a start.

Also keep in mind the development of the atomic bomb and proposed devastation if it hit at Third & Main.

And, one more for now:

Government lending on housing. If the government is going to back 30 year mortgages, it wants something that's going to last 30 years, hence a preference for new housing even if in fifty years it's a pile of rubble.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:02 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:

Dayton is Dayton
...and it sux!

Quote:
Let us get this clear. A "bold restaurant and arts scene"
is the piccadilly that the wife of the guy who runs the factory supports.
Excellent! Spoken like a true Daytonian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton