Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,102 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, my family and I are moving to Dayton next month and wondering if we could get your suggestions on a few things:

1) We're looking to purchase a house in the Centerville area - what would should we expect to spend for a 4 bedroom/2bath relatively decent condition place?

2) What are some recommedations for good childcare facilities in the area? We would need something full-time for 2 toddlers/infants.

3) What are some good short term furnished apartment options while we search for a place to buy?

4) Any and all advise would be greatly welcome!

THANKS SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,633,893 times
Hey there, mtd! I as well am from Philly. I moved to Dayton 3 years ago for a job. Me and my wife love it here. We live in Beavercreek. It is a great, livable, and beautiful area to live in. Great schools, awesome park systems, and you are not far from larger cities like Columbus and Cincinnati which have two of some of the best zoos in the nation (figured I would mention that because you have kids )

I can't speak too much for the Centerville area. I know they have a great historic downtown, and awesome library system, and is quite diverse. If you need more questions about the metro area specifically I would like to answer them for you.

In the mean time, here is the town's website:

The City of Centerville, Ohio

As a former Philly native myself, I welcome your family to the Dayton area. Wish you the best!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,278 times
Depending on age, the older homes, such as 1970's & 1980's tri-levels and colonials will fetch between 225K and 300K depending on updates and such. Newer homes with 4bds and 2.5baths will starts around 250K and go up into the 500K+. That depends on whether it is a custom home, which subdivision the home is in, etc. Right now, even in Centerville, there are some great deals out there, so it is still a buyers market here.

Just on a personal note, I wonder if in our market (Dayton) that it is better to buy because rent for a home tends to be high, almost a mortgage. This is probably because of the base and people renting their house out when transfered, usually to other military families. Rentals can be hard to find with this "I'll only be here 2-3 years so let's rent." Thus rent goes up because there isn't enough supply? I wasn't an ace at econ, so if anyone thinks I'm flat out wrong here, just say so. Might be easier now because of the housing market crash.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:07 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I have been looking at houses and there are plenty of nice 4 bedroom/2 bath houses in C'ville in the 135-175K price range.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Wow! Didn't realize the market has been that depressed? How is the upkeep of the houses (inside/out) and how old are they? Beavercreek has homes in that range too, but they tend to be older (1950's-1970's). I was figuring Centerville runs a little more expensive than Beavercreek, but that may be new construction.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Ok, regarding my original post, I was probably too high for the type of home (and this market). 150K-200K for the type of house I mentioned sounds more reasonable. That's also just a rough estimate, and while I do look at the listings, I have been busy with other things (like university) to really pay as close attention as before. Expect to pay over 175K for newer homes in Centerville (minus foreclosures or properties that need updating). Newer means 1995-present.

Just a final note, homes here are still far cheaper than in Philly (or that swath of the east coast from DC to Boston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton