Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:20 AM

49 posts, read 218,940 times

Advertisements

Hi! This forum has been great--thanks to all you regular posters who have taught me so much in the space of a few hours of reading!

My husband and I are moving to the Dallas area in early fall. His job is right next to University of Texas Dallas.

One of the things we want most is a short commute, possibly the chance to ride a bike to work and to come home for lunch every day.

Other things we value:
*single family home for rent at around $1000/month, home prices between $150k and $200k
*fenced yard for a dog
*walking paths/sidewalks
*multicultural neighborhoods without repressive homeowner's associations (no gated communities)
*independently owned shops and stores
*other people with young kids (we don't have any yet)

I was born in Dallas but haven't lived there since before I learned to walk. I have lived all over the US and am excited to explore Texas. But I would like to find a neighborhood where our liberal-mindedness will not make us feel like aliens. (Currently we live in a conservative part of the country but have been pretty successful in finding a niche.)

Do you have any suggestions for what specific areas of Plano, Richardson, or other areas might be a good fit? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 10:44 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
There's a nice neighborhood in Richardson on Arapaho road between Jupiter and Plano. There's a paved walking and biking trail that is adjacent to the neighborhood. The area is probably one of the most diverse in the metroplex. There are people from southeast Asia, India, Pakistan, and just about anywhere you can think of. Everyone is really friendly and gets along well.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
we are thinking we may help our son buy a first home when he married in 08--MARYS60--could you give name or zip code for this area--son is working close to Flower Md s of 635 right now and his fiance works for University of Dallas -- I am not that familiar with Dallas area--would this area be good match for someone working in those places--they would love it if she could start taking bus to work..right now they are living in Carrollton because he was finishing his master's in Denton...most of their friends are also grad students who are relocating before next school year so they only have her dad in Richardson and us in Bedford as ties...

Old 06-17-2007, 02:07 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
There is a neighborhood of homes just across Campbell from UTD you might check out. I think the neighborhood is called Greenwood Hills.

Or you could go east of UTD into the Canyon Creek neighborhood. Canyon Creek has a public pool right next to Canyon Creek elementary. It's so hidden away it's more like a neighborhood pool than a public pool.

You might also try the Reservation neighborhood of Richardson or the JJ Pearce neighborhood. These are east of Coit between Arapaho and Campbell (which would make it southwest of UTD).

Also you might try Estates West neighborhood in Dallas just on the other side of Coit. They have a city of Dallas hike and bike trail that runs along it's west side. One path eventually takes you to the Campbell Green rec center and splash playground. There is another nice neighborhood that runs along the other side of the hike and bike trail. I don't know the name of it. Prestonwood something.

Also, there is the Holiday Park neighborhood that stradles Arapaho. They have a pool and tennis courts within their community.

All of these area are in the JJ Pearce attendance zone and the Bowie elementary attendance zone actually has a choice between Westwood and Parkhill for jr high and Pearce and Richardson for high school. Westwood-Richardson are more racially and economically diverse than Parkhill-Pearce.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:13 PM

49 posts, read 218,940 times
Wow, thank you MaryS80 and FarNorthDallas. Your advice is extremely helpful. I feel much less "lost" thanks to your tips.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:22 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
we are thinking we may help our son buy a first home when he married in 08--MARYS60--could you give name or zip code for this area--son is working close to Flower Md s of 635 right now and his fiance works for University of Dallas -- I am not that familiar with Dallas area--would this area be good match for someone working in those places--they would love it if she could start taking bus to work..right now they are living in Carrollton because he was finishing his master's in Denton...most of their friends are also grad students who are relocating before next school year so they only have her dad in Richardson and us in Bedford as ties...
University of Dallas is in Irving, and UTD is in Richardson. If the settled in Richardson it would be a bit of a commute to Irving, especially during rush hour. The area on Arapaho between Plano and Jupiter is in the 75081 ZIP code. I believe the subdivision is called Arapaho east. They home were built in the late 70's, but its very well kept. There's another neighborhood the same age just down the street and its not nearly as nice.

It is served by Berkner H.S., Apollo Jr. high, and Yale Elementary. Yale Elementary is one of the best, it almost a competition to get ones child in that school.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:07 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
For places close by UTD in Richardson (University of Texas in Dallas) try these zipcodes. All are family friendly, close to shops/restaurants, easy access, etc.

There are two universities that get confused a lot:
1. University of Texas at Dallas - Located in Richardson, public school that is part of the University of Texas system. Up until a few years ago was only a two year senior level school and graduate school.

2. University of Dallas - Located in Irving, private Catholic university.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:17 PM

38 posts, read 180,244 times
Don't go to the Berkner area, Pearce HS has a much better reputation all around. The older homes along Coit through Meandering Way North of Arapaho were custom homes at the time they were built, so there are some gems in there as well as a number of excellent updated models. You will get more house for your money in that area. As for renting for $1000, you may have to look south of Arapaho closer to Richardson HS. Rents are higher than that for fairly rustic homes. It would actually be more cost efficient to buy a house and have the tax savings.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:01 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I think that is Estates West - borders are Coit, Arapaho, Meandering Way and the last street north is La Cabeza and Bowie Elementary. North of that is Highlands North which is another great neighborhood but the homes are bigger and more expensive. Often folks start in Estates West and then upgrade to Highlands North at some point during their kids' education. It's the same set of schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBluTopaz View Post
Don't go to the Berkner area, Pearce HS has a much better reputation all around. The older homes along Coit through Meandering Way North of Arapaho were custom homes at the time they were built, so there are some gems in there as well as a number of excellent updated models. You will get more house for your money in that area. As for renting for $1000, you may have to look south of Arapaho closer to Richardson HS. Rents are higher than that for fairly rustic homes. It would actually be more cost efficient to buy a house and have the tax savings.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:02 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
There's a neighborhood right across from UTD that has always looked very nice to me. I attended and graduated from UTD back in 95 and I always looked longingly at those homes. I think it's on waterview parkway? I can't really remember, I just remember that I used to turn into that street to go into the campus back when the entrance was on waterview parkway. That area is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas