Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 19,425 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am coming to UT Southwestern for medical school and thinking about buying a condo on Fleetwood Oaks Avenue. I like it because it is 1)within walking distance to UTSW. 2)walking distance to supermarket 3) walking distance to new Dart. My only concern is safety, whether it is safe to walk to school and super market and dart at night. I am from NYC and have lived in the Bronx before so I am okay with scattered homeless people, as long as they don't bother me. But I won't buy this place if somebody will knock on my door in the middle of the night or actually come up to me and say something at night. I generally have street smartness and do not go out a lot after dark, but just in case.
It would be great if you guys can share your opinions about the safety of Fleetwood Oaks and maybe recommend any neighborhood close to UTSW. Plus, if you have lived there, do you know why some condos there are selling so cheap? (well I am from NYC so maybe I don't have a good judgment of what's cheap or expensive) Bad location/HOA management? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
This area has probly hit bottom and will experience some revival ....after the economy recovers. Those large open spaces between Maple and Harry Hines were at one time heavy industrial manufacturing. Much of those structures have been removed, probly in preparation for the Oak Lawn upscale growth. I haven't been in that area in a couple of years but from that point, I'd try to steer you away, across the toll road into Oak Lawn or Uptown. Most people I know would advise caution between Cedar Spring and Maple and to stay away from Maple to Harry Hines. Having said that, Eliot's Hardware is just down the street and a little further is an incredibly popular tex/mex restaurant (from my experience, I don't know why).

Your preferences may vary and if you know someone who lives there or other recommends then just make sure they know what they're talking about.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Thanks a lot, WillysB
I really like the fact that Eliot's Hardware and El Rio Grande are so close. It would be nice if somebody who has lived there can elaborate on the safety issue. I would also like to know about the occupants there, are they mostly renters? Young professionals? Why would a property mostly occupied by renters considered bad?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 PM

The tex/mex I was thinking of is Ojeda's, south on Maple, south of Eliot's but not as far as the toll road. You can get some good bbq on Inwood at Cedar Springs - behind the Texaco in a small strip shop area.

There are a few other posters who may be familiar with the area. Don't give up.

I'd just add... >>> you are not going to be walking to UTSW from there.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 PM

really? I thought it is about 16 minutes walk to UTSW, according to google map. Is it too far/too hot ^_^ /too unsafe to walk? Unfortunately I growing up in NYC I haven't learned how to drive yet...............

Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalaolala View Post
Thanks a lot, WillysB
I really like the fact that Eliot's Hardware and El Rio Grande are so close. It would be nice if somebody who has lived there can elaborate on the safety issue. I would also like to know about the occupants there, are they mostly renters? Young professionals? Why would a property mostly occupied by renters considered bad?
I have never been inside the complex, so not sure of the specifics, but overall the neighborhood is poor and on the rougher side. As you get closer to the Tollroad, it is slowly improving/ gentrifying. There is one nicer neighborhood tucked just north of Elliot's with 1930's Tudors & cottages. I looked at a house there but did not consider it after I pulled the crime stats for the immediate area (lots of burglaries, assaults, & armed robberies. Too many for me to feel safe walking my dog at midnight). That specific neighborhood is a mix of middle-class Hispanics and Whites, with a good number of gay residents. The surrounding areas (Lemmon/Inwood/Harry Hines/Tollroad) are poor, mainly Hispanic and Black areas. Very few young professionals. Lots of drugs. Fair number of hookers and homeless.

If you want to rent there, I "guess" you'd be fine, but I would absolutely NOT advise you to buy. No upside.

You won't be walking to UTSW because I don't think there are even sidewalks on all the streets around there. At dark, you would be walking through desolate stretches- just not a goood idea for anyone.

If you want somewhere close and inexpensive, look at te condos on Bordeaux just west of Inwood & Mockingbird. They are safe, updated, and more of a young professional/ retiree mix of residents. Bordeaux Village. I'm sure there's a bus route that runs straight down Inwood to UTSW that you could take.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I think those surrounding older garden apartments will probably be redeveloped when real estate development returns to the scene..so there may be an upside, especially with the Orange line opening, continued medical center construction, new Parkland Hospital tower..however you may have to wait a long time for this.

I've never been inside this building but I laugh when I drive by because some gay friends of mine jokingly call it "Vaseline Tower".

Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 AM

332 posts, read 1,387,096 times
I would suggest you take a look at the apartments just N. of UTSW on Inwood. I believe they are called the Parks, they are just north of the north campus. Easily walkable to the new dart and much closer to campus.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I think those surrounding older garden apartments will probably be redeveloped when real estate development returns to the scene..so there may be an upside, especially with the Orange line opening, continued medical center construction, new Parkland Hospital tower..however you may have to wait a long time for this.

I've never been inside this building but I laugh when I drive by because some gay friends of mine jokingly call it "Vaseline Tower".
Lakewooder, completely agree about overall upside to the area in the next 10-20 years. But as an individual condo owner, you would see very little financial profit. Now if OP wanted to buy an entire building or a single-family home in the area, I think that would have tremendous potential.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
...neighborhood is a mix of middle-class Hispanics and Whites, with a good number of gay residents. The surrounding areas (Lemmon/Inwood/Harry Hines/Tollroad) are poor, mainly Hispanic and Black areas. Very few young professionals. Lots of drugs. Fair number of hookers and homeless.
The OP did say she was from the Bronx...

...okay, just kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas