Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 AM

146 posts, read 438,130 times

Advertisements

Wow. Great link, Gayle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM

714 posts, read 2,935,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Caddo Lake, with a day spent in Jefferson. Beavers Bend, OK. Hill Country, Fredricksburg, San Antonio. For my next road trip I'd like to go to Palo Duro Canyon, but that's a bit further than our usual quick trips.
We are planning a trip to Palo Duro this year, I have flown over it in a helicopter, and drove near it, but never spent time there.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:21 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,515,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
We are planning a trip to Palo Duro this year, I have flown over it in a helicopter, and drove near it, but never spent time there.

I'm hoping we can take a few days this summer and go, but my husband may not be able to get the time. Could you give us a trip report on the Texas forum when you return? Please?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM

714 posts, read 2,935,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I'm hoping we can take a few days this summer and go, but my husband may not be able to get the time. Could you give us a trip report on the Texas forum when you return? Please?
10-4 good buddy!

My wife and I are going, along with some of her family. Probably in June or July when it is nice and HOT!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 9,098 times
The Piney Woods of East Texas is great! Winnsboro is an awesome little town with a lot of spirit. Great food and entertainment downtown and bed/breakfast to stay at. You should try it. It's approx 100miles East on I-30 from Dallas, go to Sulphur Springs, get off interstate and take Hwy 11 to Winnsboro..You won't regret it. Also great SPA, the Copperleaf. It's 2nd home to a lot of Dallas-based businessman..Lake Cypress Springs, Lake Winnsboro, and only 20 min from Lake Fork..

Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,779,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londondiesel View Post
If you're a person that likes to take weekend road trips or short weekend vacations that don't require catching a plane, where can you go from Dallas? What are some nice, scenic places/states to visit that you can drive to? Texas seems so big that it would take quite some time just to leave the state.
Are you a member of AAA?
It's not expensive to join if you aren't. They have a plethora of information, maps, guidebooks.... where, what, how, when etc etc....

They will even write a 'TripTik' for you.... you tell them where you want to go, what you want to do when you get there, what kind of accomodations you'll need to have......
they make up a little turn by turn map book, exclusively for you, and I THINK they will even highlight/point out other destinations of interest along your route....
and if that's not enough 'free service', they will book hotel rooms for you, and help you secure entry into attractions, etc etc etc....
and if your journey ends up in car trouble, they will tow your car for you and recommend AAA approved repair shops... they'll even help to get you into a rental vehicle if you need it during repairs....
They are DEFINITELY worth the very inexpensive membership fee....

Old 03-20-2010, 01:53 AM

22 posts, read 66,361 times
WOW!! This is some GREAT information!!! Thanks so much for all of your replies. I'm moving to Dallas in about 6 weeks and will have a lot of fun exploring these places once I've gotten settled.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 PM

168 posts, read 574,090 times
We like Eisenhower State Park. Its a 2 hour (or less) drive from DFW area. Nice campsites, trails, rock climbing, etc. While we have been to prettier/better state parks, this one is hard to beat for its convenience.

TPWD: Eisenhower State Park

Old 03-22-2010, 08:55 AM

756 posts, read 2,280,906 times
Big Bend is a must do! Granted, it's about a nine hour drive, so a little long for a quick weekend trip, but it is stunningly beautiful.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,515,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Big Bend is a must do! Granted, it's about a nine hour drive, so a little long for a quick weekend trip, but it is stunningly beautiful.
Agreed. For a longer trip Big Bend is incredible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas