Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 42,027 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of opening a vacation rental company near Dallas? I am trying to determine where might be a good location. Where do people in Dallas go to getaway for the weekend that is not more than a couple of hours drive away? It needs to be an area that has plenty of second homes for us to rent out to vacationers when the homeowners aren't using them. I have someone that lives in Arlington that wants to open the branch of my business in Texas. I live in Georgia so I'm not at all familiar with the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 11:20 AM

147 posts, read 241,147 times
This business model does not sound right for Texas for some reason. Many places for North Texans to visit are hours and hours and hours away. Most homeowners in Texas use their houses 365 days a year. Most people in Dallas are transplants, and they go home to the East or West Coast when they can.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 42,027 times
Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid of that. I think a better location for this type of business would be Texas Hill Country which I believe attracts alot of vacationers. I appreciate your input.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:26 PM

11 posts, read 67,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
This business model does not sound right for Texas for some reason. Many places for North Texans to visit are hours and hours and hours away. Most homeowners in Texas use their houses 365 days a year. Most people in Dallas are transplants, and they go home to the East or West Coast when they can.
Most people are transplants???? What do you think this is, Phoenix??? I've lived here all my life and this couldn't be farther from the truth.

It is true, however, that there's not alot of places in North Texas where people are likely to drive to for recreation. There have been some efforts to get people to travel out to places in East Texas (e.g. Tyler, Longview, and the lakes out in that direction), but I wouldn't say its very common or popular. Maybe a place like Glen Rose or Mineral Wells might be worth looking into, but I don't know...

Hill Country in the central part of the state (around Austin) sounds more like what you are describing, but I'd think you would be pretty late, many of the charming small towns and lakes in the area are already fairly well staked out and 'developed'.

Dallas just isn't that kind of city, for some weird reason (that has nothing to do with people flying back to the East and West coast - I don't know how in world someone could think that, people in this city are VERY proud of being from this city).

Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM

443 posts, read 1,567,029 times
I'd have to agree, there are a lot of transplants here, obviously, you don't get 2 million people in 20 years without some of them being from up north. But from what I see, most people in Dallas choose the hill country, arkansas, or New Mexico.

But of course you're not asking about Dallas, you're asking about where we go. Hill Country is probably number one, I personally like to go to Arkansas and many people travel to New Mexico. Those are all fairly common trips, just a thought but there is an untapped market around the lake sardis region of Oklahoma(2 1/2 hours from Plano), beautiful area, not many accomodations, course there is not much in the way of restaraunts etc. but great for quiet get aways I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas