Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM

6 posts, read 7,697 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating from Chicago. We're 30 years old with no kids, but will likely have some in the next few years. I've lived in Chicago and have been taking the L to work the past several years. We like the Chicago feel, but know things will be different when we move.

My job will be in Richardson and we've been researching the best areas.
Right now we're between the Plano and Grapevine areas.

Any recommendations/advice between the two?
What would a commute from Grapevine to Richardson be like?
Anywhere else you'd recommend to consider living?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:43 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
There's no reason to live so far away in Grapevine. There are good places to live in Richardson and closer to Richardson.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover773 View Post
My wife and I are relocating from Chicago. We're 30 years old with no kids, but will likely have some in the next few years. I've lived in Chicago and have been taking the L to work the past several years. We like the Chicago feel, but know things will be different when we move.

Thanks!
Richardson is great- why bother with Grapevine?

What parts of Chicago do you like- in-town or the suburbs? Lots of the close-in neighborhoods in Dallas feel & look like suburbs and would be an easy reverse commute (against traffic) to Richardson. Check out M Streets, Lakewood, & East Dallas for neighborhoods with character & architecture, good schools (thinking ahead), and entertainment nearby. These are areas where tons of young singles, couples, and families live.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:51 PM

I live in the Chicago city limits and do like the city feel. I'm just going on what I've read and heard from my realtor. She recommended grapevine and after doing some research, it seemed like a good place for us, but it is a little far. Plano has been recommended every where I look, and it is very close to Richardson.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I live in the Chicago city limits and do like the city feel. I'm just going on what I've read and heard from my realtor. She recommended grapevine and after doing some research, it seemed like a good place for us, but it is a little far. Plano has been recommended every where I look, and it is very close to Richardson.

If you like a true city feel, I would not recommend living any farther north than Richardson. It gets very suburban, strip mall with Olive Garden & Cheesecake Factory, once you get into the Plano/ Allen/ Frisco/ McKinney burbs. Grapevine has a cute little downtown area, but that's about it. It is really close to an outlet mall and the airport, though......

Don't know what your budget is, but encourage you to do your own search on ebby.com or another real estate site with the MLS. Check out zip codes 75206, 75214, and 75218. These are the areas in East Dallas that are full of old craftsman, Tudor, and traditional homes built in the 1930s-1940s, along with some newer construction from the past 10 years. You'd be near the fun places to go out and meet friends, like Knox-Henderson, Greenville Ave, the West Village, and Uptown/ Downtown/ Arts District. Independent restaurants, bars, and shopping abounds. Also very close to White Rock Lake (not quite like Lake Michigan, but a great place to run/bike/picnic or take your dogs to the dog park. Plus, only about a 15-30 minute commute to Richardson going north on 75. Or you can park at a DART station and take the rail north to work, depending on where your office is. It is a fairly dense area population-wise, but no high rises and tons of trees make it feel very suburban. Public schools in this area are very good, with two exemplary elementary schools (Lakewood & Stonewall Jackson).

You may also like Lake Highlands, which is just north of East Dallas. It is zip 75238. The schools are excellent and feed into Richardson ISD even though it is in the city of Dallas. Many creeks & trails run north from White Rock Lake into Lake Highlands.

Richardson is nice, too. Many areas have bigger lots and great ranch homes built in the 1960-1970s. A large Indian/ Asian polulation makes for some very good restaurants!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:

PS- if you become interested in Lakewood or Lake Highlands, I STRONGLY urge you to find a realtor that specializes in that area (or any other area you zero in on) as many relocatees find that they are pushed into areas because the r/e agent is familiar with it, not necessarily because it's best for them.

Lakewooder or Brian from Lake Highlands are regular posters on here and will be able to make great recommendations for a few agents with good reputations in those areas.

The market in Lakewood and Lake Highlands has stayed fairly strong through the downturn because those areas ARE in high demand. So while your r/e agent may be used to making lowball offers in the suburbs where foreclosures and short-sells are common nowdays, you could end up missing your dream house in town if you make a lowball offer and someone else counters with a more realistic offer while you waste time getting your counter-offer together.

Just a little FYI

Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Make practice drives during rush hour between Grapevine and Richardson before buying anything there. You'll want to be sure you are up for that kind of commute. Plano is a nice area. You might also look at Allen.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
You don't want Grapevine. The commute around / on 635 would be tough, you want to stay on the east side of DFW airport especially with the new planned improvements north of the airport that will take about the next 4 years to complete.

Coppell would be easier and closer. There are areas north of Richardson like Sacshe and even Plano would be an easy commute.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,976 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I agree with the others, living in Grapevine would put you with a long commute. 635 can be a nightmare! I would look into Richardson itself, Plano, Garland, and Allen. All are family-oriented places that are closer to your job.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the advice all. We're going down to browse in a couple of weeks, and will only have a few days to squeeze in what we can. I'm not a fan of dealing with traffic. I have my fair share in Chicago.

Another random question-

What are thoughts on having a pool in the Dallas area? What time periods during the year would it be too cold to use? Is it expensive to maintain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas