Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 PM

27 posts, read 163,816 times

Advertisements

Hi gang! So I have done a lot of searches in this forum and picked up some good information about the various places to live. However, it has started to get confusing for me so I thought I'd try to articulate what we are looking for and see if anyone has ideas.

We are contemplating a move from Chicagoland to Dallas. I've lived here alomost my whole life, but we've (my husband & I) have decided that we need a change of scenery - he's not from here and the winters are particularly long and harsh for him.

Anyway - I've started researching the gazillion new home developments and have gotten myself good and confused. So now - to the point of the post.

What are the towns and development you recommend for the following:

Relatively quiet and peaceful but with activities (i.e. soccer, gymnastics) for the kiddies. Parks, pools, convenient shopping (groceries, target or walmat, bank gas). Very highly rated schools. looking for an OK commute to west plano. Anyone know how the job market is in the Plano area - particularly for a Financial Planning & Analysis person whose experience is mainly in the Software Industry.

Also - my husband is hispanic and I am causasion. we have a daughter. So obviosuly in the same manner I would rule out ghetto-ish locations, I would also rule out where there is zero ethnic mix.

I'd love to be close to the schools - particularly the elementary school.

Good lot size (at least .25+ acres)

No problems getting cable and internet hookups (i'm concerned that some areas are so new - they won't offer these services just yet).

Price range with upgrades is $250-$285 (4-Br & 3,400+ sq. ft)

I've seen a lot of Woodbridge - but we're not golfers so wondering if anyone knows of something similar where a golf course is not the focal point of the development.

Thanks all for you thoughtful input!

Last edited by alaina75; 04-16-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 01:30 PM

84 posts, read 242,539 times
If I were you, I would just live in Plano. It's one of the best suburbs in the nation with a great school district and fantastic homes. Plus, you're close to 3 highways (Dallas North Tollway and Central Expressway to go to Downtown Dallas and the President George Bush Turnpike to go west towards DFW Airport).

But then again, I'm biased since I'm from Plano.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
If I were you, I would just live in Plano. It's one of the best suburbs in the nation with a great school district and fantastic homes. Plus, you're close to 3 highways (Dallas North Tollway and Central Expressway to go to Downtown Dallas and the President George Bush Turnpike to go west towards DFW Airport).

But then again, I'm biased since I'm from Plano.
Also, the DART rail line runs all the way up to downtown Plano, so you don't necessarily have to drive if you want to come to West Village, Downtown, Victory Park, Uptown, the Dallas Zoo, etc... Our rail system is not as developed as that of Chicago, but it definitely gets you a lot of places.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:47 PM

6,799 posts, read 14,021,576 times
I was going to recommend the Plano/Frisco/Allen/McKinney area but I am not sure you will be able to find a large lot and a house for the budget you gave. I am sure some of the realtors will give more insight. Other than those two items this these cities would fit the bill perfectly.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM

27 posts, read 163,816 times
I just read a really scary post that makes me want to reconsider this move. Remember that I mentioned that my husband is hispanic (Mexican to be exact) and so our daughter is half that with his last name of course. This is absolutely of no consequence where we currently live. However, I am very scared that she would have a tough time growing up in Dallas. (she is currently just 4 yrs old)

I don't know how to link to the post - but this is the title of it: "Anti-Mexican sentiments in Dallas?"

Anyone out there that can set my mind at ease?

Thanks much!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:28 PM

84 posts, read 242,539 times
HA - those are overly exaggerated by the media. Yes there is a large ongoing debate about immigration in Dallas, but it's not exactly "dividing the city." In the end, Dallasites are still Dallasites, legal or not. You'll be pleased to find many middle to upper-middle class Hispanics throughout the Metroplex.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,023 times
Do you not realize how many thousands of Hispanic people live here? The Hispanic population is well over 35% and growing. There are many in each economic background here, so the chances of your family having any kind of problems are slim to none.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
Dallas is very diverse. I don't think it is anything for you to worry about.

Naima

Old 04-16-2008, 04:02 PM

6,799 posts, read 14,021,576 times
In 10yrs your husband race will be the majority and you will be the minority. The issue here is illegal immigration not legal hispanics. Mixed marriages is as common as BBQ here. Less than 10% of the population will even care (there are diehards everywhere). You should be more worried about adjusting to Texas heat than racism IMHO.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:40 PM

106 posts, read 283,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaina75 View Post
I just read a really scary post that makes me want to reconsider this move. Remember that I mentioned that my husband is hispanic (Mexican to be exact) and so our daughter is half that with his last name of course. This is absolutely of no consequence where we currently live. However, I am very scared that she would have a tough time growing up in Dallas. (she is currently just 4 yrs old)

I don't know how to link to the post - but this is the title of it: "Anti-Mexican sentiments in Dallas?"

Anyone out there that can set my mind at ease?

Thanks much!!!
Don't worry about it, it's just the media exaggerating things as usual. i find it hard to believe there could be alot of anti-mexican sentiment in a place where mexicans are almost a majority. The old south is dead and long gone in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: