Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 11,454 times

Advertisements

School and moving advice needed please.

We currently live in Wylie, husband works in Flower Mound, has flex hours so can travel around traffic some but still a long drive.

Daughter is in 1st year of Wylie HS. We want to rent for the next few years until she is out of high school and are trying to decide if staying in Wylie ISD until she graduates is the wisest action or if moving somewhere closer to husband's work would be a good choice.

Safety in school and neighborhood is absolutely a major factor. I cannot put her in a school environment she has never been exposed to, my nerves could not handle that. Wylie is growing but still small scale compared to a lot of districts, known evil vs unknown... We have considered moving to sachse area she knows some people at Sachse High School.

We can look at anything that would get husband closer to commute by 190 or 121, he can take either into work.

I know there have been older threads, but I need current information and advice. Our lease will be up in April and we need to be making some decisions quickly.

Thank you in advance. I have been impressed as I've read the advice and time people put in to helping others on this board. It is very nice to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
Why not just move to Flower Mound? It's an excellent community with exceptionally good schools.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
I moved into Flower Mound High School after spending my freshman year at Lake Dallas High--the transition was a bit rough at first (I didn't know anyone), but I quickly made friends and fit in. The schools are excellent and the area is nice. I distinctly remember the school counselor checking in on me in the first few months there. I knew a couple other people who moved even later in their high school careers and very quickly and easily made the transition.

The school is so big that no really feels "left out"--you just have to find the smaller group you fit in. I didn't even know half of my graduating class, and I think that was the norm.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:26 PM

Any opinions on West Plano? Vines & Plano Senior High in particular

Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 AM

I think if you more used to, and comfortable with, small-town life, Flower Mound would be better suited over Plano.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:20 PM

thank you, that is the kind of advice I was looking for

Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 PM

do you have advice regarding areas to look at or stay away from in Flower Mound?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
Do you think Flower Mound still qualifies as a small town? It has two very big high schools - Flower Mound and Marcus.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:18 PM

Flower Mound definitely has a small-town feel. I see people all the time that I know.

It's about 60K people, I think, so it's big, but not that big. It has two big schools, but that mostly due to it being pretty spread out.

As far as areas go, it mostly depends on how much you want to spend. You can spend $170K or so and get a nice house, or you can go all the way to $1M plus. Your kids will go to the same schools.

Most areas are pretty nice, though. I don't think you would be disappointed anywhere.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
The west side of Flower Mound tends to be newer.

If you are looking for a regular old subdivision, Wellington is very nice. 2 pools, workout facility, parks, friendly neighbors, etc. Very close to elementary + middle schools, and backs up to FMHS.

If you want some acreage, head west on 1171--there are loads of homes off High Road and nearby that have a very "country" feel--most are more expensive, though. The area near Lake Grapevine--Wichita Trail Rd., I think is a good area for this as well.

The neighborhoods off McKamy Creek Rd. are kind of an in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas