Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,740 times

Advertisements

I've never considered a move to Texas but now we have an opportunity in Dallas and with the low cost of living it's looking really appealing. I've visited Dallas and was impressed with the restaurants and shopping and how friendly all the people were.

I'm from a pretty progressive part of the country and although I'm not completely liberal, I've liked the backdrop of tolerance and open mindedness that my city is known for. I'm a little freaked out about the idea of moving to a city where a freeway is named after George Bush!

I'm afraid of encountering three kinds of people in Texas - over the top ethno-centric Christians, Cowboys, and hard core Right Wingers. Even more annoying to me are the people who fulfill all three of these qualities at the same time!

Is Dallas big enough and diverse enough that we can find a place to fit in without constantly running into these people? If so, where in Dallas would you recommend for us? We have 3 kids so anything crazy urban is out. We're just looking for a comfortable place with balanced people, a good quality of life, and a reasonable commute into the city for my husband.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,497,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWestcoastMom View Post
Cowboys
!
Horse riding cowboys?
Or
Football throwing cowboys?

Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,524,161 times
Quote:
I've never considered a move to Texas but now we have an opportunity in Dallas and with the low cost of living it's looking really appealing. I've visited Dallas and was impressed with the restaurants and shopping and how friendly all the people were.

I'm from a pretty progressive part of the country and although I'm not completely liberal, I've liked the backdrop of tolerance and open mindedness that my city is known for. I'm a little freaked out about the idea of moving to a city where a freeway is named after George Bush!

I'm afraid of encountering three kinds of people in Texas - over the top ethno-centric Christians, Cowboys, and hard core Right Wingers. Even more annoying to me are the people who fulfill all three of these qualities at the same time!

Is Dallas big enough and diverse enough that we can find a place to fit in without constantly running into these people? If so, where in Dallas would you recommend for us? We have 3 kids so anything crazy urban is out. We're just looking for a comfortable place with balanced people, a good quality of life, and a reasonable commute into the city for my husband.

Thanks for your input!
FYI, the tollroad was named for George H. W. Bush (Bush the First) as opposed to "W" (Bush the Worst). I do wish the signage would make that clear, because it is embarrassing that people think it was named for "W". In the event that anything does ever get named for "W", I'm hoping it will be a landfill. BTW, we also have a freeway named after LBJ.

Your concerns have been addressed on countless similar posts from people wondering about the political climate here, so I won't go into great detail because you can search this forum and find tons of commentary. Suffice it to say that the City of Dallas (pop. 1.25 million) is blue and has been for quite a while. Dallas County (pop. 2.4 million) is also blue, albeit a lighter shade of blue. There's a very large and politically potent gay community in Dallas which, IMO, is indicative of the city's tolerance. The city of Dallas has many great 'hoods that are populated by progressive majorities. At least one of them even has good public schools (Lakewood in E. Dallas). I live in the inner-city and NEVER encounter the types of people that you mentioned. Or, if I do, I'm not aware of it because they don't stand out.

As for the suburbs outside of Dallas County, those will be very red. But, that doesn't necessarily mean red-neck. Plano (pop. 250k), for example, is a very popular large suburb to the north in heavily Republican Collin County. But it's populated by people from all over the country and the world. You're really not going to find much of a redneck mentality up there or in any of the other upscale DFW suburbs. Bottom line, the DFW metro (over 6 million) is vast and diverse. So you should easily be able to find a place that will be comfortable for your family. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,500,646 times
Well, I don't recommend moving to the Preston Hollow neighborhood of Dallas since that's where George W. Bush lives.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:00 AM

11,881 posts, read 26,965,626 times
You'll generally find more cowboy types in Fort Worth than in Dallas. That being said, they are not threatening at all, and are usually really nice.

You might also look at Austin instead of DFW. It is more liberal and might have more of what you are looking for.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,564,406 times
Quote:
I'm afraid of encountering three kinds of people in Texas -
over the top ethno-centric Christians, Cowboys, and hard core Right Wingers. Even more annoying to me are the people who fulfill all three of these qualities at the same time!
Having lived in various parts of the Metroplex for 30 plus years...here's my thoughts on which of those types of people you will run into ...

"over the top ethno-centric Christians" - in my opinion, yes, quite a lot...but I myself am not religious so I am more sensitive to being asked what church I attend within the first 5-10 minutes of conversation.

"Cowboys" - Assuming you mean the boot and big hat-wearing kind (and not the football team)...hardly. I mean there are people here and there who dress in a western-style, but as far as the stereotypical intolerance that you may think goes along with this, I just don't see it. The few "true" Texan ranchers I have met over the years have been some of the nicest, most accepting people I know.

"hard core Right Wingers"...less than you would think. Overall, it is a conservative area...but moderately so. There are a lot of transplants so that also brings in new political views. But liberal or conservative...we all seem to co-exist well here....just makes for some good debates come election time.

It is also important to note, with ALL theses types, I DO find their presence to be much more predominent in the rural areas and far out suburbs. The city of Dallas itself is very diverse. Also to note...and as a PP said, when I lived in Austin, I felt the overall environment was much more "accepting" of a liberal lifestyle/ views (but maybe actually less "diverse" in the true sense than Dallas because it is so left-wing and less of an even mix).

Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,770,066 times
I agree with Christie P, check out Austin. I think it probably would fit your lifestyle needs better, especially if you are freaked out in living in a city that has a freeway named after G. Bush.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,245,412 times
If you have a problem with over the top ethno-centric Christians, Cowboys, hard core Right Wingers and a freeway named 'the Bush', then you should consider moving to Arkansas, where our less enthusiastic cousins live.

Really sounds like Texas is not for you.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:17 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,513,454 times
How would cowboys negatively affect your lifestyle? I am confused by this one!

I understand not wanting to be mainly around religious right if you're not, but cowboys??

Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,500,646 times
There are also Cowboy Churches in rural areas. Very popular. You may encounter these folks sometimes though in Dallas, as lots of rural folks have to commute into Dallas to find work.

Texas Fellowship of Cowboy Churches | Welcome Pardner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas