Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 AM

16 posts, read 17,649 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon folks!

I may be relocating to Dallas with my girlfriend in the coming weeks/month or so. I will be coming down for work, but will most likely working from home, since our official office is in Houston (originally planned as my permanent relo but more customers are down in this area). There is another branch of our office in Irving TX so we'd like to keep our house options close to there if possible, although I won't be going there every day. Please let us know of any possible areas to live based on this criteria:

We're 24 and 25 years of age, we don't go out much (once a month if we're lucky) to party but we do dine out maybe once a week or so. A sports bar or wine bar is all that's needed for us. We drive everywhere now, and we're used to it.

Our needs on the house:
Looking to buy
$160k maximum
2-4BR, 2-3Bath
~2000 SQ FT

Built within the last 4-8 years! Important because renovations are a pain and I'm interested in keeping home repair down to a minimum. Plus energy efficiency is huge.

Must have an attached 2 car garage. I race part time so I need to work on my car privately.

I also would love to be as close as possible to this address (it's a long range shooting range, my other big hobby):
5701 Fm 2578
Terrell, TX 75160

Lastly, it must be safe. Yes I own firearms, but I would not like to use them in my own home.

Please suggest some neighborhoods so I know where to direct my searches.

Thanks a bunch and looking to read the replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 PM

18 posts, read 28,114 times
It sounds like you probaby will benefit from looking in Rowlett or Sachse which are relatively close to Terrel, featuer newer communities within your price range/age/square footage and you would not be too far from Irving if you had to go there for work.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 PM

11,870 posts, read 26,921,654 times
Have you looked on a map to see how FAR apart Terrell and Irving are from each other?! There is no way you can commute from Terrell to Irving every day. The drive is over an hour without traffic, and in traffic, it would probably be closer to 2 hours! So, in order to keep your sanity, you are going to need to live closer to Irving. (Rowlett or Sachse are also both too far away to commute to Irving for work.) Also, Terrell is not what you would consider to be an "upscale" community at all; in fact, it's actually pretty redneck...

Another problem is your want of a new home for under $160k. Unfortunately, you will have to go to the far outskirts of the metroplex to find this, and again, the commute will be prohibitive.

If you can can consider older homes, Lewisville has what you are looking for: homes in your price range/size with attached garages, decent commute to Irving, and safe neighborhoods. The neighborhoods there also don't have HOAs, which might frown on you working on a race car in your garage. There are many restaurants and small bars in the area to keep you entertained.

FYI: there is a really nice gun range in the bottom lands of the Trinity River right in Irving: Elm Fork Shooting Sports They hold all sorts of shooting clinics and competitions.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks for your replies. Outskirts is fine (again, the office is just a formality. I probably will not be going there much at all). What areas can I start looking in?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:58 PM

11,870 posts, read 26,921,654 times
OK, if you insist:
Royse City
Seagoville
Midlothian (research air quality before moving here)
Lancaster
Forney

FYI: the Terrell gun range has stopped accepting new members as of 11/1/11. You have to be a member or a guest of a member to go shoot. This might be a big kink in your plans. Highly suggest calling them before deciding to move out there.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:17 PM

764 posts, read 1,658,920 times
You dont have kids, so schools aren't an issue. You have a gun, so safety is "taken care of" (maybe??). So what about Mesquite? For $160k you could probably find what your looking for and it's not as far out as some of the other communities. I know your looking for a "newer" home, but I think you could find something less than 10 yrs.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM

Me having a gun doesn't mean that I want to be using it. Safety is still of the utmost importance. I have talked to the owner of the Terrell gun range, I will be shooting there if I do move to Dallas.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 PM

118 posts, read 253,283 times
There are plenty of town homes and condos within the op's price range in Irving-Las Colinas area. Why not start looking there first before looking elsewhere? Town homes may start in the 200ks though, however you may find an older one for lower.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 AM

3,822 posts, read 8,757,439 times
I think there's a little confusion over the range he's looking for - I suspect the OP is seeking to use the North East Texas Tactical, which is not even open yet.

I would highly recommend you looking in Irving area first - they do have Elm Fork Shooting Sports very close by. It's your more traditional gun range, but if and when NETT gets up and running, it's not a very far drive on the weekends.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 AM

764 posts, read 1,658,920 times
O.K. It's not like Mesquite is the hood, there's acutally some nice neighborhoods, anyway...

In all earnest, if you're going to Irving 1-2 times a month (or less), why would you live west of dallas(more expensive housing, further to your hobby) instead of looking in Forney? Forney is a great small community, new housing developments, just down to road from Rockwall (all the restaurants and shopping you could ever want, unless you're into upscale shopping).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas