Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,783 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved to Dallas. I work in downtown Dallas, and we are currently renting a house in the M Streets. My husband may be accepting a position in downtown Fort Worth. My question is where the best place to look to purchase a home is if he is working in downtown Fort Worth, and I am working in downtown Dallas. We would probably be trying to buy a 3-bedroom, and our budget is between 350k and 450k. We don't have any kids but would like to buy in a decent school district for resale purposes and the possibility of still living there when we do have school-age kids.

We have looked at Coppell and the northern part of Irving as well as the new subdivisions in Grand Prairie near Joe Pool lake (that are in Mansfield ISD). We would love to find a neighborhood with more character and older houses, but I don't know about any areas like that in the suburbs between Dallas and Fort Worth. We also would like to know if there are any nice areas that would fit our needs closer to I-30 since that would be the most direct route to both of our offices.

Any input or advice would be very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Yikes, you are in the best spot now..maybe hubby can take the TRE?

Only suggestion for character would be North Oak Cliff which would shave some time off his commute if he is driving. Of course you are already in an area of top schools (and gettting even better) right now - Oak Cliff is not known for that but I have always heard good things about Rosemont Elementary.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 01-14-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,564 times
If he is going to be working in FW and you in Dallas, I wouldn't recommend Coppell. I live in Coppell and drive to FW alot and it is a pain, especially during work hours/rush hour. I would say that something off of 30 would be your best bet because it would be "halfway" for the both of you but unfortunately I don't think you are going to be able to find houses with character but I may be wrong. If your husband doesn't care about a long commute, then the TRE could be an option but it takes well over an hour.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,862 times
Your desire for character clashes with your desire for good schools, unfortunately. You're not going to find much, if any, character in the suburbs. So you have to determine what matters most to you. For character on I-30, you need look no further than Kessler Park. That area is about 2 miles west of Downtown Dallas which would be really easy for you and not too bad for your husband if he drives to Downtown FTW daily because Kessler is already west of the Dallas mixmaster. Prices begin around $300k and can approach $2m. You should definitely be able to find a nice 3BR with tons of character there for $350k - $450k. Most people around there who have kids do send them to private schools. The lack of quality public schools does not necessarily detract from the re-sale value of the area though. Sure, it would be better if they had great public schools, but Kessler Park has always been very appealing because of it's natural beauty, the quality and character of its housing and its convenient location to Downtown Dallas. Kessler Neighbors United

Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Uh, Grapevine is the oldest city in Tarrant County. It's actually older than Fort Worth! We have a BUNCH of historic homes here, as well as newer larger construction that would be in OP's price range. Both downtown Dallas and Fort Worth are about a 30-minute commute. https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/

The Grapevine-Colleyville ISD is very well-respected so there is no need to send kids to expensive private schools. Grapevine Colleyville Independent School District

I agree that Coppell to downtown FW would be an awful commute.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:54 PM

702 posts, read 2,722,532 times
Try the Hospital District in Irving. Nice Ranch style homes on large tree-covered lots. You will be close to the TRE and you and your husband can both take the train to work (goes to downtown Dallas and Ft Worth). Travel or buy yourselves new cars with the money you'll be saving!!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:04 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
As Christi pointed out...GRAPEVINE. good location for both, great schools AND has homes with character esp near downtown.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:25 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Kessler Park would be perfect except for the schools. I think the elementary school (Rosemount) is fine but the middle and high schools would not cut the mustard. Folks who move to Kessler Park really don't consider the public schools other than the magnets. Hurst/Euless/Bedford might be a option but i'm not sure if they have homes in that price range. I suggest to take a look at Kessler Park for yourself. I think you will be impressed.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:45 PM

41 posts, read 146,302 times
Default North Arlington

I like North Arlington. It is a great location if you work in FW or Dallas.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
However you would both be doomed to the misfortunes of freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas