Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 21,620 times

Advertisements

We do need some help. We'll be moving to this area over the summer. I've read a lot of the threads but not sure yet...Richardson or Garland?? Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,903,831 times
What are you looking for? Price range? Type of house? Type of yard? Close to? Type of community?

Old 05-23-2007, 06:41 PM

257 posts, read 946,686 times
Richardson. I have never heard Garland Schools having a good reputation. Maybe you don't have kids, but a house in a bad school district is much harder to sell.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,331,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masalamomma View Post
Richardson. I have never heard Garland Schools having a good reputation. Maybe you don't have kids, but a house in a bad school district is much harder to sell.
No offense intended, but don't you think you should leave the advice to people who actually live here and have more familiarity with the school districts in question? I see you on other threads (https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ng-school.html) trying to find something more than the TAKS rating to decide on which district to choose - you obviously don't have a lot of knowledge about the area.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I suspect that posters on this forum would prefer an informed opinion.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Who told you that? Whoever did is not aware of the GISD. I have kids in the GISD and it is a great district that offers a lot. We have several magnet programs that many districts do not. As for houses being hard to sell, lol. Not around here. A house goes up for sale and they don't last long. Our inventory is actually much lower than most cities around us and homes don't stay on the market as long either. If it does it is only because the price is way too high or it has not been taken care of (and they want way too much for it). The appreciation rate is also pretty good. As a matter of fact I pulled up some info yesterday for another thread. In comparing several areas of Garland to another area in the metroplex that some consider "better" I found out some interesting facts. This other area had homes that were 4-6 years old and the geographic area was VERY SMALL and had almost 200 homes for sale (only those on MLS not under contract). As for the appreciation rates those newer homes in 5 years had only increased for the most around $10K with the conditions of these fairly new homes being "Fair" and "Good" (that ain't too good at all). In two different areas of Garland that were older I found this: 1. Homes about 30 years old, close to LBJ in south Garland and the appreciation rate was between $30-40K and the conditions of the property were mostly "Very Good". 2. Area of Garland w/ smaller frame homes that were about 50+ years old and the appreciation rate in the last 5 years was $20-30K and the conditions were mostly "Very Good". Hmmmm, ain't so bad.

Don't dismiss an entire very good school district based on peoples misconceptions that have never been to a place.

Either way, Richardson and Garland are both nice and have some great areas.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
No offense intended, but don't you think you should leave the advice to people who actually live here and have more familiarity with the school districts in question? I see you on other threads (https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ng-school.html) trying to find something more than the TAKS rating to decide on which district to choose - you obviously don't have a lot of knowledge about the area.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I suspect that posters on this forum would prefer an informed opinion.
You know what Truimph, after going back and looking over masalamomma's other posts I know she would not be happy here in the GISD. Or in other words, we really don't need people like that coming in and being so judgemental. Yes we have some GREAT magnets and they truly do offer a very good academic education. Thing is these magnets are open to students in the ENTIRE GISD based on their scores. That means that your child could be in a class w/ kids from all different backgrounds. They may not be from the super rich family or live in a nice clean new neighborhood but they come from a family that values a good education that works hard to provide for their family. It is a pretty diverse bunch and I rather like it that way. I don't mind that my child has friends that live on the "other side of the tracks" as that is where I grew up (not in Garland but another Dallas burb). As I've also said, the minute my kiddo's start thinking that they deserve whatever they want and acting ugly about money is the second I'll snatch their hiney's up and plant them in a little 800-1000 sq ft frame house w/ one bathroom for all of us. Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit (afterall that will save me money now and I'll just have that much more to spend on myself when they are grown ).

FYI: The #1 and #2 high schools in the nation are in the Dallas ISD! The #1 is a second year in a row, WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!! Oh, parents, you don't have to live in the DISD to attend those schools as your child can apply to them. They really are some awesome schools.

I'm going to quote what Sonshinelife posted on another thread started by this same OP concerning this same thing (okay I lost count, how many has she started on this very topic ). Sonshine, I hope you don't mind me posting this as I think it is rather appropriate once again. If you do just let me know and I'll get a mod to delete. So here is an answere AGAIN to masalamomma:

By Sonshinelife:
"I want to start by saying my words are not for the majority of the posters on this thread. I happen to agree with a lot of the individuals on this thread. I wasn't going to respond to maslamomma's last comment but as I sat here I couldn't help but respond as I resent the high and mighty comment that was made.

I think that you are causing the debate masalamomma. Houston has one of the lowest ranks as far as schools in Texas by the way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I think your question was answered by many well meaning individuals such as myself. Reality is, you will find differences no matter where you go in the country and world for that matter. There will always be pros and cons. You obvioulsy have some strong feelings and prejudices against certain classes. (Before you come back with a reply... I'm highy educated and happen to live in a very nice neighborhood... nothing over the top but well respected... I also teach in a very nice neighborhood with beautiful homes but lots of apartments) How sad for you and your family in my opinion. I hope you find what you are looking for but also keep your children's best interest in the forefront. I'm glad for one that I am raising my child to respect the differences in others. I believe that he will be a much happier individual in the long run and for that matter successful. I will always check out the schools and the community I live in to make sure it is what I want for my child and family. I hope that my son will always have the opportunity to go to a school in a district that will value and honor education and character of children no matter what their race, social status, economic status is."

Old 05-23-2007, 08:14 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,243,943 times
Quote:
GISD has enrichment programs that start at the elementary level. There are the academy/magent ES's such as Kimberlin, and Walnut Glen. There is generally a waiting list to get in one of those schools. Several campuses at all levels offer either the Math, Science, Technology Program, or Classical Education. At middle school level there is Austin Acedemy, again very hard to get into. They may even only accept students who have attended the ES academies. Garland High School offers the IB program which is recognized internationally. North Garland is a MST magent. Know your facts before you go knocking something as bad. Garland is a diverse place where people of every imaginable nationality, religion, and income live, work and, and play together, it is not a place of holier then thou attitudes.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 PM

GISD magnet schools:

Elementary:
for the Gifted & Talented based on academic scores you have Kimberlin, Walnut Glen & Hillside.
Classical gifted for those into the arts you have the Classical Center at Vial.
Math & Science you have Watson & Beaver Technology.

Middle School:
Gifted & Talented attend Austin Academy
Classical Center at Brandenburg
Jackson Technology for Math & Science

High School:
Garland High has the IB program
North Garland has the Math & Science
Lakeview has several programs for different careers (judicial, media, etc)
All 7 high schools have AP courses.

To get into one of the magnets one must test and after a certain grade it goes on grades and test scores. To get into the gifted & talented academies is very tough. You must score in the top 90% to even get on the list and then it goes from the top down so you are getting the cream of the crop. Even being in the top 90% does not guarantee one will get in if others scored higher. The class sizes are smaller and the campuses are also smaller than other area schools. They are more intimate and the course work is challenging, engaging and enjoyable. What goes on in these schools is NOTHING like what goes on in your neighborhood school. I have a child that has been in the G&T program since kindergarten and one in our neighborhood school and the differences are amazing. I wish many of the things they do in the academies could be implemented into the mainstream as they could be very beneficial. But that is not to say that a child not in an academy is not getting a good education as they are. The way some things are done is what I like. Mary, you are correct as there is always a waiting list to get into these schools.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
GISD magnet schools:

Elementary:
for the Gifted & Talented based on academic scores you have Kimberlin, Walnut Glen & Hillside.
Classical gifted for those into the arts you have the Classical Center at Vial.
Math & Science you have Watson & Beaver Technology.

Middle School:
Gifted & Talented attend Austin Academy
Classical Center at Brandenburg
Jackson Technology for Math & Science

High School:
Garland High has the IB program
North Garland has the Math & Science
Lakeview has several programs for different careers (judicial, media, etc)
All 7 high schools have AP courses.

To get into one of the magnets one must test and after a certain grade it goes on grades and test scores. To get into the gifted & talented academies is very tough. You must score in the top 90% to even get on the list and then it goes from the top down so you are getting the cream of the crop. Even being in the top 90% does not guarantee one will get in if others scored higher. The class sizes are smaller and the campuses are also smaller than other area schools. They are more intimate and the course work is challenging, engaging and enjoyable. What goes on in these schools is NOTHING like what goes on in your neighborhood school. I have a child that has been in the G&T program since kindergarten and one in our neighborhood school and the differences are amazing. I wish many of the things they do in the academies could be implemented into the mainstream as they could be very beneficial. But that is not to say that a child not in an academy is not getting a good education as they are. The way some things are done is what I like. Mary, you are correct as there is always a waiting list to get into these schools.

The waiting list is awful I was on it for Kimberlin back in the late 80's. I was between the 94th and 99th percentile and still never got in. I attended GISD from Kindergarten through 12th grade with the exception of one semester of 6th grade. Even the Substitute teachers for GISD are great. The teachers here actually care about their students and take interest in them. I get tired of people bad mouthing Garland. I'm a proud graduate of GHS.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
The waiting list is awful I was on it for Kimberlin back in the late 80's. I was between the 94th and 99th percentile and still never got in. I attended GISD from Kindergarten through 12th grade with the exception of one semester of 6th grade. Even the Substitute teachers for GISD are great. The teachers here actually care about their students and take interest in them. I get tired of people bad mouthing Garland. I'm a proud graduate of GHS.
Most of our subs are all former full time teachers that had kids and stayed home and when the kids started school they went to substitute teaching. So they are familiar w/ the system, have tons of in classroom experience, etc. Being that they really help the teachers when they have to be out as they can keep the kids going on their schedule w/o having to make up anything when the teacher gets back. Since many of them are parents of students they also know the kids by name and the kids know them (and their parents - so you filled in the other day....... how was my child?).

It is not just people that have never lived in the Dallas area that bad mouth the area. My mom is a realtor and she has heard it many times from other realtors. Sad reality is that most of them have NEVER been to Garland EVER. In their minds if the entire city/town is not brand spanking new it is not worthy. Whatever, more room for me. Besides, not that many houses for sale over here like in other areas. Why? Everyone is happy with where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas