Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 PM

97 posts, read 357,122 times

Advertisements

Hello ya'll:

I haven't been on in awhile. I've been so busy at work with year-end audit & all the other stuff.

It's getting closer to my move date, & I still haven't narrowed down where I want to live. I was there for a week the 1st part of April. I had a wonderful time. I was in Ennis, & got to experience the Blue Bonnet's. They are truly amazing. I also loved the Indian Paint brushes, I think they were called. The redish/orangish colored ones that grow in between the Blue/Bonnets. Beautiful.

Anyway, I've kind of narrowed down my search to either Waxahachie, or Cedar Hill. I will definately be in Ennis with my family for a little while until I get settled. But Ennis is just too small of a town for me. I did like Waxahachie. Saw some new communities right off the freeway, after the racetrack. Some nice starter houses, but they seems a little way out. I really liked Cedar Hill even better. CH seems to be more of a growing younger city. I wanted to find out from you guys the zip codes of the areas that I should look into further. I can't remember what area I was in when I went, but it was just off the freeway from Waxahachie. Maybe the 45? Anyway, I've heard of Bear Creek, & Joe Pool areas. Are there any other areas to look at. Right now I am still looking on-line for information. I also saw that CH HS won state! My son is really into football, & I would love to get the girls into some type of dance/cheer something or other.

Thanks again for all your information. I trust everyone is doing well. B-T-W~ what's going on with ya'lls Mavs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,150,551 times
That would probably be off Hwy 287, there are a lot of new homes going up in that area. There are also a fair number along I-35E as you head north. We've got some friends who live off 287 in one of the older neighborhoods (maybe 10 or 15 years old?) with bigger lots. They seem to really like the area. Waxahachie does have it's own youth sports program for the summer. It's nice having all the kids playing on the same field. We played a summer in the North Ellis league, and it was a haul from the southern edge of Ellis county in Milford, up to the games in Lancaster, plus one or two in Maypearl, Palmer and Bristol.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:48 PM

22 posts, read 65,173 times
Red Oak is just north of Waxahachie. Good schools and a really growing community. Nice demographic mix, too.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM

22 posts, read 65,173 times
Personally, having lived in Cedar Hill, I am not sure I'd recommend the schools for the most part any more. We had a few problems there & we're getting a lot of parents enrolling their kids in our in Red Oak schools, pulling their kids out of Cedar Hill.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:04 PM

97 posts, read 357,122 times
Thanks for the infor dust.bunny. I will check into Red Oak as well.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
need to be concerned also about air quality and air emissions--that area gets some bad air quality because of cement plants and others in Ennis area--they are outside townships that have more stringent air polution rules...air moves from s/se to nw/w----so check the drift

we ruled out moving to area around Joe Pool because of air pollution...can't always SEE it---

Old 05-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Actually according the American Lung Association's State of the Air 2007 study on air quality. (http://lungaction.org/reports/stateoftheair2007.html (broken link))

Collin, Dallas, Denton, Johnson, Parker, and Tarrant all had more Orange Ozone days and as many or more Red Ozone days (with the exception of Johnson) than Ellis County.

As far as particle pollution goes Ellis county only had one Orange day versus Dallas and Tarrent's 7 days.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 AM

1,101 posts, read 4,332,591 times
I don't have an opinion on whether the Midlothian plants are actually heavy polluters, but I don't think you can look just at county-level pollution indexes. Midlothian is in the Northwest corner of Ellis county (https://www.city-data.com/county/Ellis_County-TX.html), and generally the prevailing winds blow towards Dallas from there.

Maybe there are some more detailed statistics that show the area in question better than county stats. I know you'd be the guy to find them

Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,303,095 times
I grew up in the area and Waxahachie is a beautiful old town with some very nice examples of Victorian architecture...its amazing how the city has grown out so far that Waxahachie is in a good postion like it is.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
I don't have an opinion on whether the Midlothian plants are actually heavy polluters, but I don't think you can look just at county-level pollution indexes. Midlothian is in the Northwest corner of Ellis county (https://www.city-data.com/county/Ellis_County-TX.html), and generally the prevailing winds blow towards Dallas from there.

Maybe there are some more detailed statistics that show the area in question better than county stats. I know you'd be the guy to find them
The methodology they used for the survey was to count any day were any monitoring station in the county reported high Ozone or particle pollution. So while it's a county wide stat, it's more used as a roll-up for a group of stations. But I do agree that prevailing winds and the number of active stations could effect the numbers.

I think in the end though, the larger numbers for Tarrant and Dallas counties are due to the sheer number of inhabitants and industrial output. Tarrant county was by far worst than Dallas and I would interrupt that to mean that they have a lot more industrial pollution (since Dallas county has 1.5 times the population,) even with the theoretical "bad air" coming from Midlothian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas