Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,152 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
It looks like I will be relocating to the Waxahachie area around Aug 1. We have been reading as much as possible to make an educated decision to where to live but could use some advice. We do not have any children so school districts are not an issue. My husband's grandmother who lives with us so we need a larger home to ensure everyone has their own space. We will need a rental home (still dealing with the financial impact of Katrina) so buying is not an option yet. My husband works out of the house and I will be working in Waxahachie so the commute is not an issue. We thought we would like to be closer to Dallas, but the more we read we don't know if that is right for us either. We originally were looking at the DeSoto/Lancaster area and have also considered the Manfield/Lancaster area. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 PM

108 posts, read 570,603 times
Cedar Hill, DeSoto, or my neighborhood, Dallas' Mountain Creek have really beautiful areas. You'll find rolling hills you won't see anywhere else in the area.
I bought a house here 4 years ago and it's been great. City services are top notch and totally crime free.

Here are some Mountain Creek pics. (Mtn Creek Far Southwest Dallas - south of I-20 and just east of Grand Prairie)

http://urbandallas.us/postings/mtn_creek_1.jpg (broken link)

http://urbandallas.us/postings/mtn_creek_17.jpg (broken link)

http://urbandallas.us/postings/mtn_creek_2.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-30-2007, 08:12 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
what about the air quality in that around Cedar Hill from the plants around Ennis--heard that was not so nice

WAX has some lovely older homes--think 1900s--some have been redone and some not--they do a tour of homes around holidays I think--just nice small town....

Old 06-30-2007, 09:20 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,479,615 times
I thought the cement plants were in Midlothian, not Ennis. Or does Ennis have plants, too?

Old 06-30-2007, 11:30 AM

108 posts, read 570,603 times
Waxahachie also has one of the prettiest courthouses in Texas

Old 07-01-2007, 08:41 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,149,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
what about the air quality in that around Cedar Hill from the plants around Ennis--heard that was not so nice
As far as Ozone and Particulate Pollution Ellis county in not nearly as bad as Tarrant or Dallas counties. There is some cause for concern as at least one of the cement plants burns hazardous waste as a heat source. The state did a study in 2005 in response to a number of complaints of birth defects. The short version is that of the 48 birth defects studied, the only one that was found to be elevated was the occurance of hypospadias which was about 3.5 times the rate for Texas in general. The rate drops some once adjusted for age and race, but stayed elevated above the rate for Texas.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:52 PM

424 posts, read 1,818,174 times
FYI...Hypospadius (sp?) is also caused by a B12 defeciency, mostly babies born to vegan moms that do not consume animal products. Other types of anemias are known as B12 defeciency. It's hard to trace birthdefects, as there are so many potential causes and hard to prove one in particular. I can tell you all about it, I just can spell it that well

We medical professionals do not get paid for spelling well. That's why there is spell check. As long as we can identify it and treat it, we're good!

Old 07-01-2007, 06:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
if that is birth defect w/high incidences would suspect it is from poor pre-natal health of mother--i.e. low income, uneducated, without access to health care or proper nutrition--like vitamins...

Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,149,995 times
Sorry, I should have linked to the report so you could read it for yourselves. From what I can tell the State did normalize the data, but after a while the language just numbs my brain...

Study (http://www.downwindersatrisk.org/Documents/2005BirthDefectInvestigationReportBirthDefectsAmon gDeliveriesToResidentsOfMidlothianCedarHillAndVenu s.pdf - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas