Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 PM

258 posts, read 1,176,177 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone
I'm considering a job transfer to Dallas. The office is on Spring Valley Rd. Hubby and I are in our late 20's and don't have any pets/kids. We would greatly appreciate any advice you might have for us. We currently live in NY and I'm from Australia.

I've heard traffic is bad so I'm trying to find an apartment complex near the office. I've been reviewing apartmentratings.com but would appreciate any input from you guys. Does anyone have any apartment suggestions? I would like to live in a complex where I can go out to the car at night by myself I saw several complexes in Carrollton but have read the area is a little shady.

Also, do you think people will be mean to us because we're from NY? That question might sound dumb, sorry!

I've been lurking for a while and find this site extremely helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 07:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
That's about a 30 minute drive from my house (East Dallas/Lakewood/Greenville Ave) without ever getting on a freeway. But you could also take the tollway to work and live in the Uptown or Oak Lawn area. Should be very fast to get to Spring Valley unless there is some major accident.

It's a bit more cosmopolitan south of LBJ, and a lot more fun. There are a lot of duplexes/fourplexes/eightplexes/condos/townhomes and small apt. complexes which might be a possibility in those areas.

You could probably go to Addison as well, there are many transplants around there - but it's mostly the business travelers/expense account / corporate nomads.

Oak Lawn/Turtle Creek and East Dallas are very open-minded and welcoming. Not sure as much about Uptown, but it's the hot place to live. And you are in your 20s! Enjoy yourselves!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 PM

151 posts, read 817,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
That's about a 30 minute drive from my house (East Dallas/Lakewood/Greenville Ave) without ever getting on a freeway. But you could also take the tollway to work and live in the Uptown or Oak Lawn area. Should be very fast to get to Spring Valley unless there is some major accident.

It's a bit more cosmopolitan south of LBJ, and a lot more fun. There are a lot of duplexes/fourplexes/eightplexes/condos/townhomes and small apt. complexes which might be a possibility in those areas.

You could probably go to Addison as well, there are many transplants around there - but it's mostly the business travelers/expense account / corporate nomads.

Oak Lawn/Turtle Creek and East Dallas are very open-minded and welcoming. Not sure as much about Uptown, but it's the hot place to live. And you are in your 20s! Enjoy yourselves!
I agree, especially with the Addison recommendation. I'd also suggest North Dallas in a area between Spring Valley to the south, Tollway to the west, Beltline to the north, and Preston Rd to the east. Commute shouldn't be too bad (<30 minutes for me a few years back). I lived at the "Courts @ Preston Oaks". I worked off Josey Lane. My drive back then (2000) was about 25 minutes. The good thing was I never had to get on a highway. I had to travel a lot with my job and I liked the underground garage parking lot The Courts had - very secure from theft and hail. Hopefully the area is still a nice place. But you should be able to find a lot of nice apartments that will meet your requirements in North Dallas/Addison. It's a great area too. Lot's of restaurants, shopping, etc...a little on the crowded side. It's been a few years since I lived in the area so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Good luck and I'm sure you find a great place.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info

Old 04-26-2007, 02:56 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
And no, I don't think anyone will be mean to you because you're from New York!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:13 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
People don't care that your from NY. You may get a little good natured ribbing -- just like I get from my friends in NYC.

Yes, we know that you "whack" somebody everyday. And we ride horses to work with our six gun. That's just the old tired jokes we exchange. Jeez, do I need some new friends.

Just don't go around telling all the Texans you meet how NY is "so much betta." People don't like braggarts.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the additional info

I can handle good natured ribbing.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:41 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Aussir Rachel from New York, moving to Dallas.

That's quite a mix ;-)

But of course you'll be fine and I doubt anyone will pay attention to you...or care that your from New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas