Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

I know Canyon Creek and the Reservation neighborhoods have been discussed here (I searched and read several threads before registering) but I haven't really seen a comparison of the two against each other.

My budget is not big; I'd like to stay under $200k but I can go into the low $200s if necessary. I have found older, smaller homes in both subdivisions that are in that price range. I saw 5 in Canyon Creek this week and will see more in both neighborhoods this weekend.

I understand that in my price range, most if not all of the homes I view will need some redecorating/remodeling work. I'm OK with that. I really like both neighborhoods, both are beautifully maintained with the huge trees and character that the outer suburbs simply cannot provide. Plus, homes built in the 1960s seem more cozy and less Vegas-y than new builds in the outer suburbs. My realtor explained to me that one house we would be seeing had a master bedroom that was "only" 13x16. That's plenty big enough, but she was concerned that it wouldn't be large enough and that it didn't have a separate "seating area". I reassured her that I was looking for a house, not the penthouse suite at the Bellagio.

School quality is important, but it is not the end-all be-all of everything for me. I don't have kids and probably never will, but I understand that school quality is important for resale. The Reservation seems to be zoned entirely to Mohawk Elementary, which I am told is the "best" elementary school in Richardson. Its TEA rating for 2008 is "exemplary". Ditto for Canyon Creek Elementary. I know there is another RISD elementary school in CC called Prairie Creek, but I haven't seen a single property in my price range that is zoned to that school so I haven't researched it at all. However, many of the houses in my price range in Canyon Creek are not zoned to the RISD; they are PISD and zoned to Aldridge Elementary, which is "recognized" instead of "exemplary".

So...which is "better" in terms of resale value...a Canyon Creek property zoned to Plano, or a Reservation property zoned to Mohawk? Also, some of the homes in Canyon Creek in my price range are under 2,000 square feet. I live alone so that's plenty of space for just me, but again I'm concerned about resale value. I plan to stay put for the next decade or so, but given that people with children tend to look at Frisco, Allen, etc first, might a small house in Richardson be a tough sell?

Originally when I started looking at real estate my budget led me to Allen, Frisco, etc. but I don't think I could stomach the commute from those places. I don't want to live in the city of Dallas; the neighborhoods in Dallas that I like are very far out of my price range. Friends pointed me to Canyon Creek and Richardson Heights and said I should give them a chance, and I'm glad I did; those neighborhoods are beautiful.

In my position...what would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Either area is fine and will do just fine in resale. Find the RIGHT house for YOU and go with your gut. If you are going to have the time to redo and make improvements on the property over your course of living there and making it your home...... that will give you a leg up on resale. I would not say that 2000 sq ft is small at all. There are PLENTY of new builds in the far out burbs that are not even that big that people have been flocking to and buying for their families with teeny-tiny postage stamp yards to boot. The areas your looking in have ALWAYS been a good bet in the real estate market from the time they were built till now. I doubt that goes away overnight (or in 10-20 years). The people in that area for the most part grew up there. Went off to college, got married and came back to that spot to raise their own families. If that is any testament then most likely their children are going to do the same. They love the area and they are attached to it. It IS a GREAT area.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Phew! That's good. Thanks for responding! I guess I should find the right house for me in either hood, get the best price possible, and buy with confidence? This isn't my first home purchase but it's still nervewracking. I'm renting right now and can't wait to get out of my current place.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
1. Location. Either of these neighborhoods are fine. Just don't go for the house on a busy corner all though those sell to in that area. It just may be a deterrent for future buyers w/ small children.

2. Good bones. Find one that has a good solid structure and floorplan. While some things can be fixed if minor enough and not be a problem (minor foundation work) and a floorplan CAN be modified..... it always can not either. Look thru the eyes of "what can I do to improve this house and floorplan and is it feasible?"

3. Good yard. While the yards in this area are not as big as say, Preston Hollow (since you mentioned it in another thread ) they are LARGE compared to all of the newer builds further out. Mature trees, creeks, parks, etc. Find one w/ a good yard and mature HEALTHY trees. Minor adjustments on the inside can be made while the yard size is permenant and it is cost prohibitive to buy a "mature" tree.

4. Go with your gut. If you sign a contract on a house and get a sick feeling......... leave it. Find one that gives you that tickle but nerves are supposed to be frazled over this stuff.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
1. Location. Either of these neighborhoods are fine. Just don't go for the house on a busy corner all though those sell to in that area. It just may be a deterrent for future buyers w/ small children.

2. Good bones. Find one that has a good solid structure and floorplan. While some things can be fixed if minor enough and not be a problem (minor foundation work) and a floorplan CAN be modified..... it always can not either. Look thru the eyes of "what can I do to improve this house and floorplan and is it feasible?"

3. Good yard. While the yards in this area are not as big as say, Preston Hollow (since you mentioned it in another thread ) they are LARGE compared to all of the newer builds further out. Mature trees, creeks, parks, etc. Find one w/ a good yard and mature HEALTHY trees. Minor adjustments on the inside can be made while the yard size is permenant and it is cost prohibitive to buy a "mature" tree.

4. Go with your gut. If you sign a contract on a house and get a sick feeling......... leave it. Find one that gives you that tickle but nerves are supposed to be frazled over this stuff.
Thanks for the advice; I appreciate it! One of the houses I looked at had aluminum wiring and needed about $40k of work according to a friend who is a general contractor (it needed work other than wiring), so I walked away from that one without putting in an offer. If a house needs a new kitchen because the current one looks like the Brady Bunch's kitchen, that's one thing...but if it is so dilapidated that I'd be working on improvements for years, I won't buy it. I don't have the time or money to take on such a large project.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
The biggest difference to me is the location and nearby retail. If you have to drive to downtown from Canyon Creek, you get on Central at Campbell Road. If you live in the Reservation you go south on Coit until it merges with Central. The Coit route is usually faster.

There are grocery stores and restaurants and other retail up and down Coit which is closer to the Reservation. There is some retail around Canyon Creek, but not as much.

Mohawk and Canyon Creek are great schools and they both feed into North Jr High and JJ Pearce High. I thought a portion of the Reservation also had the option of going to Arapaho Classic Magnet, West, Richardson High. I don't know if I would say Mohawk is the best school in RISD. Brentfiend Elementary usually gets that honor. But all those elementary schools in that area are Exemplary.

If you jump across Coit you are in the city of Dallas with still excellent RISD schools and there are houses under $200,000. The elementary schools are Bowie and Brentfield. I am not sure what the advantages and disadvantages of living in Richardson vs Dallas are. At the time we bought this house (1967) city of Dallas and Richardson schools was considered the best of both worlds, but I don't know if that is still true or not.

I would probably just go for the best house - maybe one that already has had the windows replaced.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:04 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,728 times
I agree with both FND and Mom. I grew up across Coit, north of Campbell. I went to Westwood (now some kind of magnet school, I think) and Pearce. A number of my Pearce friends have moved back to Canyon Creek and the Pearce area in general. My sister and brother in law bought a house on the other side of Coit last year on Querida (one block from La Manga which turns into Melrose when you cross into Richardson). She went to Pearce like me - he graduated from Skyline. The whole area continues to remain a solid and fairly evenly priced place to live.

I drive through the Reservation area on occasion to check out what might be for sale. I also like the streets right around Pearce (Chesterton, Huntington, Eton, Stratford) but I suspect they're pricier. I also like that the area is so centrally located that you can head any direction easily for shopping, restaurants, events, etc. without having to drive especially far.

As a Pearce grad, I say Go Mustangs! :-)

Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 14,755 times
Default Reservation vs Canyon Creek

I am in the same position you were. Just wondering if you bought in Canyon Creek or the Reservation and if you are enjoying the neighborhood..

Old 03-13-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redee2travel View Post
I am in the same position you were. Just wondering if you bought in Canyon Creek or the Reservation and if you are enjoying the neighborhood..
I ended up buying in Heights Park in Richardson and I love my neighborhood.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,713 times
I am also deciding between Richardson Heights and Canyon Creek although my situation is a bit different. My husband and I are recent empty nesters nearing 50. We live in North Dallas and are looking to downsize to Richardson to be closer to both our jobs. We are looking for a friendly neighborhood and are concerned Canyon Creek my be cliqueish. All the moms seem to be stay at home with young children or even if a little older...they raised their kids together and I'm not sure they would be friendly to a working mom from the outside. I'm not sure if Richardson Heights would be different. Any insight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas